Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 09:24 AM

878 posts, read 1,208,356 times

Advertisements

We're in the market for a used (looking at 2002-2007 models), full sized SUV-- had landed on one of the GM triplets, but have noticed that Expeditions tend to be a bit less expensive for comparable age/mileage.

How does the reliability and performance compare between the two brands? I've only had GMs previously (we've owned a Jimmy, Yukon, Yukon XL and a H2) and we're big fans of their SUVs; we've never owned a Ford-- but don't want to be blindly brand loyal without considering other options and we will test drive one this week. Have also considered the Sequoia and Armada, but can't justify the additional cost, when the GM or Ford will suit our purposes just as well.

Also, with all other things being equal-- what's more important age or mileage? Would I be better off with an '08 with 180K or an '06 with 120K? And what things should I be looking for in any SUV of this age? Where would be best to have this vehicle inspected and how much should I expect to pay for a pre-purchase inspection? We have a great VW mechanic, but my current vehicle is leased so it's serviced by the dealer (and please forgive the possibly inane questions, we have only purchased new or late model used vehicles, mainly CPOs, previously-- so I'm in uncharted territory for me)

Last but not least-- we are debating between getting an older, higher mileage vehicle for $3-5K (i.e. 2002 with 200K miles) vs a newer, lower mileage vehicle for $12K-$15K (i.e. 2008 with 130K miles)-- or somewhere in between the two extremes. The allure of the older vehicle is that there's virtually no more depreciation left to go and even if I have to put some money in, I might still be ahead of the game (or I can junk it and buy another one of the same age, if the repairs prove too costly).

Additional info:
This vehicle will be my primary vehicle and used as a people hauler. I work from home, so I don't commute-- most of my travelling is to/from kids' sports practices, games and tourneys. We have 3 kids and 2 big dogs-- plus 2 of my kids are ice hockey goalies (as is my husband), so as much as it pains me to get such a monstrous, gas guzzling beast, we're bursting at the seams in my Highlander (my husband has a VW Passat wagon that we use when we're not hauling multiple sets of gear/kids/pets) and we are toying with the idea of getting a boat and/or travel trailer, so we need something that can tow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 09:27 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times
Google Ford Triton 5.4 problems and you will see why the Fords are cheaper.

Buy the Suburban.....

Old 03-21-2016, 09:41 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,415,498 times
Why not just get a mini van? That is a whole lot of cash fir a vehicle with a whole lot of miles, particularly when you are not going to be towing anything. I am a hockey goalie as well. The gear is bulky, but it is not THAT bulky.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Why not just get a mini van? That is a whole lot of cash fir a vehicle with a whole lot of miles, particularly when you are not going to be towing anything. I am a hockey goalie as well. The gear is bulky, but it is not THAT bulky.
Great question, I can see why that would appear to be a good option, especially because of the much improved MPG.

BUT, we had a minivan (Toyota Sienna) previously and HATED it-- it felt tinny and didn't enjoy the way that it handled at all (and the space behind the 3rd row didn't accommodate a goalie bag all that easily-- the kids each have roller bags that contain all of their gear, even pads-- so the only thing that's not in the bag are their sticks).

Additionally, we prefer to have AWD or 4X4 (as we're in MN and live on a hilly street) and the only minivan that has that as an option, as far as I'm aware of, is the aforementioned and despised Sienna.

It's not so much the goalie gear that's driving this decision (though it's part of it), but also the ability to have the 5 of us in the first two rows (only possible with a bench seat-- which is unlikely to be found in a minivan) so we can use the rest of the vehicle for gear and dogs-- or when we are picking up material for DIY projects around the house, etc.

(And, we do intend to tow-- we're hoping to buy a travel trailer or boat in the not too distant future)

Old 03-21-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Google Ford Triton 5.4 problems and you will see why the Fords are cheaper.

Buy the Suburban.....
Thanks, I think that this confirms that GM is the way to go. Now to figure out which year/mileage/price to focus in on.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:33 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,330,060 times
IMO I ould opt to pay the little bit more and get the Suburban 2500HD with the 6.0L or 8.1L Vortec V-8 they are built on a 3/4-ton GMC/Silverado HD truck chassis thus will stand up to more abuse and both base 6.0L and the optional 8.1L Vortec V-8's make very decent power and torque to get the thing moving with ease.

Since you plan to tow a travel trailer in the near future then getting the 2500HD Surburban with 8.1L with the factory tow/haul pkg and HD transmission cooler would be the best option OP

Old 03-21-2016, 10:44 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,415,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellysbelly View Post
Great question, I can see why that would appear to be a good option, especially because of the much improved MPG.

BUT, we had a minivan (Toyota Sienna) previously and HATED it-- it felt tinny and didn't enjoy the way that it handled at all (and the space behind the 3rd row didn't accommodate a goalie bag all that easily-- the kids each have roller bags that contain all of their gear, even pads-- so the only thing that's not in the bag are their sticks).

Additionally, we prefer to have AWD or 4X4 (as we're in MN and live on a hilly street) and the only minivan that has that as an option, as far as I'm aware of, is the aforementioned and despised Sienna.

It's not so much the goalie gear that's driving this decision (though it's part of it), but also the ability to have the 5 of us in the first two rows (only possible with a bench seat-- which is unlikely to be found in a minivan) so we can use the rest of the vehicle for gear and dogs-- or when we are picking up material for DIY projects around the house, etc.

(And, we do intend to tow-- we're hoping to buy a travel trailer or boat in the not too distant future)
If your going to tow go for the SUV. Otherwise just ditch the roller bags, have the kids throw the pads over their shoulders. Roller bags take up a TON of space.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
If your going to tow go for the SUV. Otherwise just ditch the roller bags, have the kids throw the pads over their shoulders. Roller bags take up a TON of space.
We've tried other set ups: carry bag and carrying pads separately-- GRIT bag with pads strapped on-- smaller roller bag with pads over the shoulder, etc-- and landed on a roller bag that holds everything.

Mainly because our youngest goalie is only 52 lbs soaking wet, her gear probably weighs more than she does-- if it's not all in a roller bag, we'd end up having to carry some of it-- if not all of it-- for her. Roller bags aren't cool and take up a TON of space, but they allow the kids to fend for themselves, so they've worked out best. Thanks!

Old 03-21-2016, 11:41 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,897,594 times
I've been looking at 2007/2008 Yukon Denali AWD with around 120K miles for around $15K. Sucks they keep their value so much, but should last years with proper maintenance. They can tow 7800#.

You can also get a 2004-2008 Dodge Durango/Chrysler Aspen for a lot cheaper. They can tow 7200# with the 5.7 HEMI. I had a 2007 Durango and put 120k miles on it with no issues. Also don't rule out a Nissan Armada, they can tow 9000# in correct config and are more spacious than the Tahoe/Yukon. A few known issues but very reliable for most part.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
I've been looking at 2007/2008 Yukon Denali AWD with around 120K miles for around $15K. Sucks they keep their value so much, but should last years with proper maintenance. They can tow 7800#.

You can also get a 2004-2008 Dodge Durango/Chrysler Aspen for a lot cheaper. They can tow 7200# with the 5.7 HEMI. I had a 2007 Durango and put 120k miles on it with no issues. Also don't rule out a Nissan Armada, they can tow 9000# in correct config and are more spacious than the Tahoe/Yukon. A few known issues but very reliable for most part.
Thanks for the insight-- I'll check out the Durango/Aspen-- just need to determine whether they're big enough for our needs (I realize that might sound insane, as they're not small vehicles). The Armada (and Infiniti) look great and do everything that we need, they just seem to be a bit spendier and harder to find than the GMs-- but I'll keep an eye out for a good deal, especially in light of their better towing capacity.

Thanks again-- really appreciate the advice that I've received from everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive