Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 12:58 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
highlanderfil How do you know what generation I come from? Moreover, this isn't important. If things are different now, it behooves you to adapt to today's environment, not expect the environment to bend to your habits.
as several others on here, including you, have described what break checking is, no thank you, I would rather remain considerate of others and break check my way.

Quote:
I don't take offense to it. I consider it to be dangerous. One should only use the brake pedal on the highway if the situation actually warrants it, like there's an obstacle. Otherwise, what happens if you brake and hit a patch of ice? It's just dangerous.And the grass was greener and the water was wetter.
when I break check I don't brake, I tap the breaks so the rear lights blink, and I wouldn't even consider doing it in bad weather....

I know what generation your from b/c you get upset right away when someone tries to have a discussion....

also, I find those who become angry might be a lot more sensitive b/c they tail gate, or do whatever the thread is about, so they become defensive and angry....however, that might not be you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 01:04 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
ok, people, I defer that break checking in my day, certainly isn't what your all used to...so, we really don't have anything to discuss....

but if your traveling down the road, and behind someone that blinks her lights off and on, thats me asking you to back off just a tad.

Thank you very much.....

oh, and btw, if a truck driver does it to thank me for blinking my headlights to tell him that he's clear to come back over in the slow lane, without hurting anyone, anyone here can do it, without hurting anyone...

he is doing exactly what I'm talking about, not slamming on the breaks.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:06 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
Great lecture.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:25 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,817,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
ok, people, I defer that break checking in my day, certainly isn't what your all used to...so, we really don't have anything to discuss....

but if your traveling down the road, and behind someone that blinks her lights off and on, thats me asking you to back off just a tad.

Thank you very much.....

oh, and btw, if a truck driver does it to thank me for blinking my headlights to tell him that he's clear to come back over in the slow lane, without hurting anyone, anyone here can do it, without hurting anyone...

he is doing exactly what I'm talking about, not slamming on the breaks.
Those aren't brake lights, they are taillights that he's turning on and off...

Old 03-04-2018, 06:50 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,417,224 times
I do this on occasion. If your following me so close I cant see your headlights, you're too close. I will lightly touch the pedal for the brake lights to come on. It always works. Or a turn signal does the same thing. Again, If I look in my mirror and all I see is windshield, not even headlights or even the hood of the car, and I have a small car. I react. Thats if I cant speed up and get a little space between us. I have been known to scare the chit out of some one behind me. Then I notice they are waaay back there after that.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:15 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,156,282 times
Quote:
as several others on here, including you, have described what break checking is, no thank you, I would rather remain considerate of others and break check my way.
Yeah, that's not how any of this works, at all.
Quote:
when I break check I don't brake, I tap the breaks so the rear lights blink, and I wouldn't even consider doing it in bad weather....
That's not brake checking. Continue telling yourself that's what you're doing, but reality doesn't agree with you.
Quote:
I know what generation your from b/c you get upset right away when someone tries to have a discussion....
Your lack of self-awareness is amazing. You're doing the very thing of which you're accusing me.
Quote:
also, I find those who become angry might be a lot more sensitive b/c they tail gate, or do whatever the thread is about, so they become defensive and angry....however, that might not be you
You are correct, that is not me, as I do not tailgate.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Those aren't brake lights, they are taillights that he's turning on and off...
You mean turn signals? It's customary to blink those once or twice as a show of thanks in some countries - nice to see the U.S. has finally caught up.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:38 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Again, it's BRAKE checking and yes, I'm a woman & have always known what it is...

And truckers are NOT brake checking.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Again, it's BRAKE checking and yes, I'm a woman & have always known what it is...

And truckers are NOT brake checking.
Nor are they brake tapping. Most of them know how dangerous it is and know how much trouble they can get into for doing it.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:29 PM

9,503 posts, read 4,339,161 times
Quote:
If you know the answer to this question, please don't answer it...I'm just curious to see, how many people in this world today, actually know what break checking is?

This subject comes up many times, at work with older people my age...and I've even discussed it with my son, and his answer is, "I don't know what they are teaching the younger generation today, but they sure don't know what break checking is".

Do you? Just a yes or no answer will do....please don't give it away?
I first heard of "break" (I'm assuming you intentional used the wrong word) checking back in the '70s when I first started racing motocross. It has a legitimate purpose in competition when fighting for position and is typically done only when entering a corner. Employing this technique on a straight is consider bad sportsmanship.

I didn't hear the term used for driving in a non-racing environment until decades later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive