Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 04:48 AM

28,883 posts, read 30,181,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Hitting your brakes for no reason is also against the law. It does not matter how hard you hit them. Light up your brake lights for no reason and you can be ticketed.
Once again, Coldjensens, bad choice of words....hitting or standing on your breaks, is certainly not the kind of brake checking I do...literally and lightly tap my breaks so they come on. And by the way, in all my years of driving, I've never seen someone rear end someone who break checks...but, as you say, it could be very dangerous now, with everyone playing with their phones while driving. My phone goes in my purse and stays there, I will not touch it while driving and neither should anyone else.

But there is a Big big difference between tapping breaks and hitting your breaks....

Like I said, years ago, it used to be a Cordial thing to do, to remind the driver behind you, your nervous with him driving so closely would he please either pass or give you some room.

I believe it would be a very good practice to, practice and extend some Cordial attitudes towards others when we're all behind the wheel....which includes tailgating, texting while driving, talking on phones while driving.

Remember, also, Every accident, drives up your insurance premiums...so lets see if we can please extend some patience and consideration when driving along with eyes on the road.

also, it seems I owe you and several others here in this thread, an apology....

Actually thought you and several others were kidding me, by stating "standing on the brakes, slamming on the brakes" which signified something no one does. So I kidded right back...

we can't see each others faces...when we're writing, so sometimes we take offense, including me, to what others right...this time, I actually thought you all were joking around, so I joked right back...and it backfired, so, I'm very sorry.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 03-08-2018 at 05:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 07:55 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,561,265 times
To brake check usually means "It's on; nobody brake-checks me!"

Old 03-08-2018, 08:07 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,116,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
not the kind of brake checking I do...literally and lightly tap my breaks so they come on.

Actually thought you and several others were kidding me, by stating "standing on the brakes, slamming on the brakes" which signified something no one does. So I kidded right back...
What you continually fail to grasp is that what you do does not, in fact, constitute brake checking. There are no different "kinds" of it. You either do it or you don't.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
What you continually fail to grasp is that what you do does not, in fact, constitute brake checking. There are no different "kinds" of it. You either do it or you don't.
I don't believe it's me who is failing to grasp this....

yes, I do brake check, but, I don't stand on the breaks and come to a complete stop, nor do I ever cause the cars behind me, to stop...I blink my lights at them, by tapping my breaks lightly.

Now, understand please, there is a who generation gap here, so, perhaps it was different when I was learning to drive, as my dad taught me to do this...or I should say, my foster dad....

So....

I would prefer to end this conversation completely b/c I am unable to understand what others are saying by brake checking is abruptly standing on the breaks causing others behind me, to slam on their brakes causing an accident. That I do not do.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:53 PM

15,409 posts, read 25,722,081 times
It's easy to end the conversation. Just acknowledge that what you is not what "brake checking" means. Your dad was wrong. There is no generation gap. Brake checking has always meant what it means now. What you are dong is mere signalling your displeasure to the tailgater. Nothing wrong with that, but that is not the same thing as brake checking.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:04 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,350,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Like I said, years ago, it used to be a Cordial thing to do, to remind the driver behind you, your nervous with him driving so closely would he please either pass or give you some room.
In your mind only maybe. In 40+ years of driving I have never heard anyone even hint that brake checking was in any way a cordial thing to do.

cor·dial
adjective
warm and friendly.
"the atmosphere was cordial and relaxed"
synonyms: friendly, warm, genial, affable, amiable, pleasant, fond, affectionate, warmhearted, good-natured, gracious, hospitable, welcoming, hearty
"a cordial welcome"

None of that in any way describes brake checking, or the attitude of anyone doing it.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:02 AM

yup, I guess my dad and me were wrong....sorry

Old 03-10-2018, 07:57 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,493,099 times
Brake checking Because = Hockey Checking.
The intent is to put a hurt on somebody.

Brake checking = Stupid

Old 03-10-2018, 09:25 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,545,839 times
Brake checking (as I was taught) is 'tapping' your brakes to let the person behind you know that they are too close.

It is NOT slamming on your brakes in hopes that the person will slam into the back of you. That is stupid and illegal.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:03 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,116,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Brake checking (as I was taught) is 'tapping' your brakes to let the person behind you know that they are too close.
Both you and OP were taught wrong. Brake checking may not be slamming on your brakes, but it's braking hard enough for the person behind you to take evasive action. Full stop, end of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive