Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 12:01 AM

13,620 posts, read 12,707,557 times

Advertisements

break checking is when congress goes on a 5 week holiday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 04:48 AM

28,883 posts, read 30,181,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Yes. The cure for unauthorized car surfing / bumper riding

Begs the question:
If we really go to "smart" cars will the dashboard assembly high 'body check' the driver who tailgates?

A synaptic thread of levity:

Break dancing
Car surfing
Brake checking
Knee steering
Sanpchat sexting
One hand texting
Construction ahead
Driver dead

As general rule, I let aggressive driver pass. Did have one about two months ago looking for trouble. Four lane main arterial 25 mph I'm going 30-32 in left lane. someone in right going about same. Donkey driver rides my rear bumper. At stop light goes into the left turning lane to accelerate past me when light turns green. I gave the car the high beams. Then anxious aggressive driver in hurry gets cocky enough to slow down and pulls over to right and stop to apparently confront. Conveniently, the moron didn't know the area and had done so right in front of the fire / police station. I turned right into it. Driver then sped off.

First time in my life I was afraid of another driver and then said a rare prayer "Please let the driver in the vehicle only hurt themselves when they crash". Amen.

yes, when some people get behind the wheel, their whole character sometimes changes.? And the worst part is, their kids are with them, so they're telling the kids its ok to do what they do? Yup...

Old 03-23-2016, 05:30 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,381,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I know what brake checking is. Break checking sounds like some kind of consumer banking product.
Maybe when you break check it's like a discount double check?

Yes I know what brake checking or variation of is, and I think it's completely idiotic. Doing so makes you as bad as the Ahole behind you that's tailgating.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:19 AM

32,846 posts, read 36,153,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm very surprised, thank you for educating me...actually didn't think most younger folks were taught that any longer, b/c I find that it is mostly woman who do it, and the men who do it are very nasty....but women don't know your break checking them...

Glad you know...

It used to be a very nice way of asking the driver to back off a bit....

Thanks so much for posting!
i don't think it's ever been considered nice.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:26 AM

78,014 posts, read 60,221,209 times
Yes, I know what it is but in application I've seen it be anything from 0-100%.

Spoiler

0% is useful for inattentive drivers or people riding your bumper when you clearly have a cars in front of you, just enough to cause the lights to come on. More than that can be dangerous for everyone involved. I've actually used it when coming up on an interstate slow down and the person behind is so close they can't see ahead. You give them a quick flash to wake them up to the fact that you're going to be slowing greatly due to people stopped or greatly slowed up ahead, in that use it's defensive driving.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:29 AM

15,936 posts, read 12,236,371 times
I used to care about tailgaters but not any more. Just pretend they don't exist and install a dashcam that also looks behind you. They'll get the insurance hit and be blamed... and it's unlikely that you or your kids will actually be injured in a typical situation if they hit you... this is the way people are forced to drive in many high population areas because there is simply not enough lane space to allow nice, big gaps.... the tailgaters are also likely paying more attention to the road than the people who aren't tailgating, who are more likely to be messing with their phones.

It also makes it easier for people to make a turn onto a busy street when there are bunches of cars close together versus the same bunch of cars evenly spaced apart in such a way that turning is impossible. It's just a more efficient way to drive, but it sure does anger people. Most people though are way too defensive of drivers and seem intent on taking twice as long as they could to get to their destination by doing things by like not making that turn when they could have because they think the person with their blinker on is going to keep going and hit them instead of turning, not going at a 4 way stop because they think the other person is just going to run the stop sign, not pulling out past the line into the left turn lane at a green light and when it turns yellow, they just sit there and don't go (seriously), or just plain going under the speed limit and then come on here bashing everyone saying the speed limit is the limit, and the law is the law. Ok whatever.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:59 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,624,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Wow?

yanno, there has been a lot of talk about self driving cars, and I don't know that I'd trust them, I don't believe we're ready for them yet...when I see them roll out new software, there are always, always kinks, until they get them ironed out...don't believe I would trust a computerized machine...I mean, working on computers every day, I see the crazy stuff they do, and I'm certain there are a lot of people out there who are techies, who would agree....
Self driving cars don't have to be perfect, they just have to be better than a human driver, which is not hard.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:21 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,504,056 times
My Ranch Hand beefy bumper is a good deterrent. Down shift one gear and with the exhaust brake on... just let off the clutch quickly.

$1000's in damage to headlights and grills, with only a little scratch on the powder coating. It has sent people spinning across the median and it has caused them to second think tailgating.

I remember one time pulling my trailer to Dallas. This lady would speed up and slow down while in the fast lane and I'm trying to get around her and on my way.

I would lag back and get a run and she would hammer down to keep me from getting around the 18 wheeler.

The last go I got a good run on her and she was even with my trailer, I just moved over and sent her into the bar ditch in the median, putting a tire doughnut on her passenger side door, from the trailer tire.

I don't think she will be trying that crap again.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:46 AM

311 posts, read 447,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
My Ranch Hand beefy bumper is a good deterrent. Down shift one gear and with the exhaust brake on... just let off the clutch quickly.

$1000's in damage to headlights and grills, with only a little scratch on the powder coating. It has sent people spinning across the median and it has caused them to second think tailgating.

I remember one time pulling my trailer to Dallas. This lady would speed up and slow down while in the fast lane and I'm trying to get around her and on my way.

I would lag back and get a run and she would hammer down to keep me from getting around the 18 wheeler.

The last go I got a good run on her and she was even with my trailer, I just moved over and sent her into the bar ditch in the median, putting a tire doughnut on her passenger side door, from the trailer tire.

I don't think she will be trying that crap again.
I hope you are kidding. You sound like a menace and could be imprisoned if you do that sort of thing. That maneuver often ends up in vehicular homicide.

On a different note, I reckon that I drive faster than about 80% of the other drivers out there, judging on the number I pass vs the number that passes me. If I can get over for a faster driver, I will. If I am behind another driver (at a safe distance) that won't pull over to the next lane, I usually won't pull over for a tail-gater behind me, unless he seems crazy enough to be unsafe.

In Floriduh, we are plagued with retired snow birds who insist on hogging and clogging the roads at 10-15 mph under the limit. Keep in mind that you can't get a speeding ticket until you are more than 5 mph over the limit so most people speed just a little bit. I get so frustrated that I vow that when I get old, I am moving up north and driving slow.

In the daytime, I don't brake check tail-gaters. I just turn on my headlights and most people think they are brake lights and back off.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:53 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,564,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I used to care about tailgaters but not any more. Just pretend they don't exist and install a dashcam that also looks behind you. They'll get the insurance hit and be blamed... and it's unlikely that you or your kids will actually be injured in a typical situation if they hit you... this is the way people are forced to drive in many high population areas because there is simply not enough lane space to allow nice, big gaps.... the tailgaters are also likely paying more attention to the road than the people who aren't tailgating, who are more likely to be messing with their phones.

It also makes it easier for people to make a turn onto a busy street when there are bunches of cars close together versus the same bunch of cars evenly spaced apart in such a way that turning is impossible. It's just a more efficient way to drive, but it sure does anger people. Most people though are way too defensive of drivers and seem intent on taking twice as long as they could to get to their destination by doing things by like not making that turn when they could have because they think the person with their blinker on is going to keep going and hit them instead of turning, not going at a 4 way stop because they think the other person is just going to run the stop sign, not pulling out past the line into the left turn lane at a green light and when it turns yellow, they just sit there and don't go (seriously), or just plain going under the speed limit and then come on here bashing everyone saying the speed limit is the limit, and the law is the law. Ok whatever.
...saying the law is the law while they go 5 over and clog the left lane in clear violation of keep right except to pass.

No wonder there are so many of these threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive