Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2016, 10:36 PM

32,789 posts, read 36,039,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
neither is riding someones a$$
Cremebrulee said, "It used to be a very nice way of asking the driver to back off a bit...." No, it wasn't nice then and it's not nice now. There's nothing nice about the whole situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 05:06 AM

28,857 posts, read 30,106,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
No one has to warn me to back off. I'm already back. There are other ways to deal with it, though.

I brake checked someone--sort of--a number of years ago. The guy kept getting very close, riding my bumper for a while, then dropping back 5 or 6 car lengths. After he'd done this half a dozen times, I tapped my brakes twice when he started to advance, slowing a bit, to let him know that I was onto his game and that I didn't like it.

I was on a for lane divided, right lane, with cars as far as I could see. I wasn't cruising in the left lane blocking traffic; he was just being a jerk. The idiot was driving an Isuzu box truck. I don't like seeing a wall of truck in my rear view.
yes, most certainly know what you mean...it happens to me every day, and I'm doing the speed limit.
We actually discussed this at work, and my son is a police officer, and I asked him about it....
He said, first he thinks the younger generation are just different drivers all together, which doesn't make them safe drivers...and he also said, when human beings get behind the wheel of a vehicle, their entire personality changes?

But a lot of people are seeing tailgaters more and more.

and it's not the idea of getting killed, it is however, the extreme inconvience of an accident, not to mention, my insurance going up? And let me tell you, I've had to come to a complete stop because of deer on this road. Many times

Old 03-30-2016, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Cremebrulee said, "It used to be a very nice way of asking the driver to back off a bit...." No, it wasn't nice then and it's not nice now. There's nothing nice about the whole situation.
I'm sorry, but there is nothing nice about someone riding your butt, at 5 a.m. in the morning with their headlights blinding you...and I'm talking close....doing 45 MPH which is the speed limit....

It's all in how you take things....if someone brake checks you, might be wise to re-think how close you are to them...and back off a little, easy solution. I don't know, patience and being nice goes a long way....

whenever I see these pileups, during a snow storm on interstates, I cannot help but wonder, what could these idiots be thinking, driving so close in bad weather.

I'm not afraid to drive, I'm afraid of the other crazies out there who think they can drive, b/c they have an SUV...or truck....

Old 03-30-2016, 11:14 AM

7,473 posts, read 3,984,277 times
Quote:

If people were courteous enough to not tail gate.. there would be no "Brake checking". I don't know your age.. but where I lived in the 60's and 70's...........it was considered "nice" to tap your brakes to warn a person off your A$$. If you do not see the danger from someone tailgating.........I am wasting my time talking to you.....

Old 03-30-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
If people were courteous enough to not tail gate.. there would be no "Brake checking". I don't know your age.. but where I lived in the 60's and 70's...........it was considered "nice" to tap your brakes to warn a person off your A$$. If you do not see the danger from someone tailgating.........I am wasting my time talking to you.....
While we're on the subject, have you noticed of late, that people don't turn down their bright lights...
even after you blink your lights at them....?

Someone also bought this up at work, and it's true...yes, sometimes you forget, but when someone blinks at me, you can be sure, I'm saying, "I'm so sorry!" while turning down my brights.

doorgunner....love it...lol

Old 03-01-2018, 10:42 AM

bottom line people is, execute some courtesy towards your "FELLOW" drivers, and if your following someone, down the road, especially when it's dark, and you see their tail lights go on, they are asking you nicely to please back off....your not going to get there any faster, and think of it this way, if your in that much of a hurry that you are going to make someone else feel uncomfortable, perhaps it's your lucky day to be behind them...so you don't go off the road, due to speeding?

just sayin....

Old 03-01-2018, 11:05 AM

30,703 posts, read 79,436,554 times
I think so, if you meant brake checking.

If break checking that is something I had to do sometimes when I was an employer, to make certain people did not take excessively long breaks (although I did not really care as long as they completed the work assigned to them before leaving).

Old 03-01-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I think so, if you meant brake checking.

If break checking that is something I had to do sometimes when I was an employer, to make certain people did not take excessively long breaks (although I did not really care as long as they completed the work assigned to them before leaving).

no, actually not the same......

Old 03-01-2018, 01:30 PM

14,201 posts, read 14,584,295 times
Brake checking is tapping your brake pedal to make the brake lights come on when someone is tailgating you. It can make the tailgater panic and slam his brakes on. If you can, wait until they are taking a sip of a drink. That will teach him........LOL

Old 03-01-2018, 02:13 PM

30,703 posts, read 79,436,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Brake checking is tapping your brake pedal to make the brake lights come on when someone is tailgating you. It can make the tailgater panic and slam his brakes on. If you can, wait until they are taking a sip of a drink. That will teach him........LOL
This should be in a spoiler alert.

Spoiler
If you get really lucky the guy behind the tailgater will also be tailgating and will hit him when the tailgater panics and then the tailgater will get permanent soft tissue damage maybe his hot coffee will scald his legs or stomach too. That will really teach him!

OF course if he is sipping his drink it is more likely he will just hit you and you will end up with the permanent soft tissue damage. I am not sure whether he would end up paying for the damage or not. Both tailgating and brake checking are illegal. It would end up on whomever the judge or jury thought was most at fault. My guess woudl be you, but it is hard to say. He would probably be the one getting a ticket (possibly both of you if he could prove you were brake checking), but civil liability and criminal liability are not direct relationships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive