Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2016, 07:35 AM

118 posts, read 125,062 times

Advertisements

I'll travel about 45 mins away from where i live to potentially buy a used car at a dealer. How do I set up a pre-purchase car inspection with the dealer? I don't know of any mechanics that can do it for me. Do I simply ask the dealer if I can take it to a nearby mechanic? Also can you just walk in to any auto shop and ask them to inspect the car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 08:04 AM

11,754 posts, read 14,570,102 times
Step one is to find a mechanic you can trust. Try using word of mouth or go to the Mechan-X Files at cartalk.com, Angie's List, or something like that. Call them and tell them what you would like them to do.

Step two is to go to the seller, find the car you are potentially interested in, and ask them to get it to your mechanic (or let you do it) for a pre-purchase inspection. If they refuse, don't even consider buying from them.

Good luck.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:47 AM

17,105 posts, read 11,957,308 times
Yep. I checked out a car in Baltimore while I was living in Ohio without any problem. With no local connections you can hit up forums like these or just stick to google/yelp reviews etc while selecting a mechanic. Set up a date/time that works with the seller and the mechanic. Go meet the seller earlier with enough time to take a test drive and check it out to see if it's even worth taking to the mechanic first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive