Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 11:18 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times

Advertisements

head gasket is fine. It comes from short, infrequent trips that don't warm the engine all the way up. Grand Am did this when I had a 1.5 mile commute that did not warm up the engine. Since moving with my commute being 2.5 miles, it no longer occurs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 02:13 PM

19,012 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
It's head gasket changing time.

Bob
Yep. It's water+oil frappe. Oil gets into coolant and is milk shaked into this condition by water pump fins. As Bob says - gasket time.
Of course, unless it's a VW, as dealer stood firm it's "normal" for VW engines. So my son got rid of his wife's VW as dealer refused to do anything about it.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:44 PM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
For those who are sure that it is a case of a breached head gasket, I have to say that while that is a possibility, it is far from being a sure thing. I can recall the exact same situation with one of my cars, many years ago. I knew that the problem couldn't be short-trip, local driving or extended oil change intervals, as I drove the car 26 miles each way on my daily commute, and I faithfully changed the oil every 3 months.

In my case, it turned out to be a gunked-up PCV valve, and this may prove to be the case with the OP's vehicle also. However, the major cause of this problem is short-trip, local driving, coupled with extended oil change intervals. Alternatively, a cooling system thermostat that stays open and allows the engine to run too cool is another possibility.

Can the OP please tell us about his usual driving patterns, and also about this vehicle's maintenance schedule? We need to know how often the oil is changed--in terms of both elapsed time and odometer mileage--along with a description of how the vehicle is driven on a regular basis.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:44 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,246,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyesj View Post
It seems my truck has some yucky brown stuff on the oil cap. It doesn't sound as powerful as it used to and not enough power. The truck is a 4.6 Liter V8 F-150 with Manual transmission. What could be the problem?
I strongly recommend you take the truck out for a 30-40 mile drive, working the engine hard, getting the engine good and hot. That should remove the condensation that has turned the oil such a nasty color.

Or, you can change the oil and filter now. Then, in the future, when most of your trips are short, go for one longer drive every week or so, to boil off that moisture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive