Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 10:53 AM

17,297 posts, read 12,228,591 times

Advertisements

I would think that would be a shared fault situation.

Quote:
Solid traffic in the right two lanes, so no other way to get to the turn lane.
Except of course to chill yourself until traffic moved up to the start of the turn lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 11:02 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
When I had my CDL, I was taught to ignore people waving you on, and to never wave anyone by. The latter, I was told, would possibly get me held liable for any accidents that happen because I did it. I still practice those in a regular car.
It's amazing to me that a he-said / she-said scenario would keep someone liable for a traffic accident. Why can't they judge it based solely on right of way, who ran into who, and whether they should even be there? The Camry didn't have right of way regardless of anyone's word that the coast was clear.

I am often nice and let others in if we're waiting at a light anyway. I can't believe this is technically/legally my fault if someone then hits them... this is what people are saying?

What if I just leave space and they determine they can go without me actually waving them in? Honest questions.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:05 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
I was found at fault 30 years ago for an accident in exactly this situation. I was in the middle lane of a five lane road, heading toward the left turn lane. Solid traffic in the right two lanes, so no other way to get to the turn lane. Two drivers were "nice" and left space for someone to dart out in front of me to take a left turn. I t-boned him.
When you see cars leaving space, shouldn't that automatically tell you that it's possible someone may come out? Don't you drive with your foot hovering the brake in that situation?

It's like when you're zooming through in the left lane while the right lane is jam-packed... you just know and have to prepare for someone to cut you off... you can't feel safe going that fast.

I don't agree you were at fault in your situation (right of way), but still... just to avoid it altogether - simple defensive driving IMO.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:36 AM

17,297 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Trying to make a left turn across multiple lanes at times of heavy traffic isn't the brightest thing to do to begin with. Almost always better to just make a right then turn around at a protected intersection.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:49 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Trying to make a left turn across multiple lanes at times of heavy traffic isn't the brightest thing to do to begin with. Almost always better to just make a right then turn around at a protected intersection.
I do just that. Instead of waiting forever to turn left, I always turn right, then u-turn. It's easy to miss seeing someone driving along across multiple lanes of heavy traffic and it saves time to just flip a u-turn anyway.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:50 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,629,036 times
I understand this. There are a lot of occasions when I want to be nice and let someone go but I don't because I know it will cause a dangerous situation. Do what your instincts tell you and make sure you see that it is clear. I try not to put
myself in these circumstances, opting to go out of my way to avoid them!

Old 03-24-2016, 07:17 PM

15,426 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
It's amazing to me that a he-said / she-said scenario would keep someone liable for a traffic accident. Why can't they judge it based solely on right of way, who ran into who, and whether they should even be there? The Camry didn't have right of way regardless of anyone's word that the coast was clear.

I am often nice and let others in if we're waiting at a light anyway. I can't believe this is technically/legally my fault if someone then hits them... this is what people are saying?

What if I just leave space and they determine they can go without me actually waving them in? Honest questions.
We're saying it is possible for you to be held liable for waving someone into a dangerous situation. Sometimes you will be liable, and sometimes not. If you just leave space (no waving)o then you would not be liable in that situation. When you wave, you're telling the other car that it is safe to go. You may not mean it that way, but that's how most would interpret it. I do not think it is right, but the reality is that you can be considered liable for waving people by.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:17 PM

81 posts, read 106,318 times
I live on Long Island, there aren't any nice drivers here. When people wave at each other it's only with one finger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive