Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2016, 06:06 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
This is what stops me from buying a classic. That and the price tag of all the repairs.
Wasn't even the price tag. Over time, the hassle became irritating.

I guess that's my own fault. I want all my vehicles to be ready to be daily drivers and that's not always reasonable.

No diaper cars for me. Not interesting, not fun, and a lot of hassle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 07:14 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,421,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
No different than anyone else. In 40 years you'll see some grandpa running around in a lowered Civic. Getting his azz kicked by another grandpa who had a V8 Stang or Camaro as a kid

^^^^^^ THIS! The definition of "Classic" will shift every couple generations. As far as millennials go, at least males, their a lot less masculine than generations past. I'm only 35 but the differences in them vs me and my friends are very noticeable. They don't want a beautiful strong muscle car, they want a fuel efficient bubble of a clown car like a Prius. They don't want to leave high school and join the military so they can blow stuff up, or learn a trade they want to wear a tie and click a mouse all day. I won't even touch their political views. I really feel bad for them. They've been sheltered and brainwashed into a make believe reality that doesn't exist and most are in for a VERY rude awaking once their on their own in the real world.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:44 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,387 times
To own a classic car that's carbureted and uses old style ignition system can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your mechanical knowledge.

I know for a fact that I wouldn't own the classic cars that I currently own and have previously owned, if it wasn't for a very good older friend and neighbor of a mine that is a very well rounded auto mechanic. I've learned so much from him over the years (still do) working on old cars including spending a lot of time reading books and researching online on how to fix and repair certain things. It takes years of trial and error, and experience to own a classic and being able to maintain one is even more straining financially and psychologically.

Every car is unique, and has their own specific set of problems, once you address them upfront, you save yourself from future repairs if you take care of it right away.

I didn't really start getting into wanting to fix my own cars until I was around 20 or 21 years old. But I learned fast with the cars I owned. If it wasn't for the classics, I probably wouldn't have a reason to learn how to replace a water pump, a fuel pump, or brakes, or even how to repair and rebuild a carburetor because new cars don't need the heavy maintenance or break down often like the older cars did.

So I understand that not all millennials are up to the task, or are willing to take on the challenge of owning an old 40's-70's ride because it is not easy, nor is it enjoyable all the time. Frustration can quickly settle in when things don't go right, financially it's hard, and the constant overlooking of everything and making sure the car is clean, well kept and most importantly driven from time to time in order to prevent typical issues from cars sitting too long, is very time consuming and daunting especially for a college age person or even somebody starting a new family.

This hobby is honestly for people that do have the time and don't have a whole lot of other responsibilities that keeps them from either enjoying the car or fixing and restoring one.

What is interesting for me is I never grew up around 50's and 60's cars, my parents never owned anything that old, yet I have a passion for them and know what looks artistic and cool when I see it and American cars for the most part in the 50's and 60's represented fun times in America, and freedom of expression and most importantly, great style n design. So just because someone was never exposed to such history, it doesn't mean that us young people don't have any interest in it.

As far as prices go for classics, it really depends on what kind of car (year, make, model) and the popularity of it. I see some sellers that are asking way too much money for a POS project car that doesn't run and needs a ton a body/paint work. In certain cases just by looking at the photos I've seen on sites like Craigslist and Ebay, a lot of these so called "projects" should be "Junkers" and sent quickly to scrap yard for spare parts because nobody in there right mind is going to spend thousands of dollars for a car that is literally in pieces.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:01 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Classic cars? I can't even stand the smell of unburnt gasoline...

Old 03-27-2016, 08:51 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,737,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
What I posted is accurate and I can back it up.

Read below and tell me again that a minor accident in a pre-1980s car caused major injuries.

Of course those are ads promoting seatbelt use. How about real life?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g

Everyone's free to do what they want but driving these classic cars is not for me.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:05 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
They're a pain in the ass and expensive but they're so much more beautiful than what we have now. It makes me very sad that we can't design a good looking plastic-free chromed up (real metal not that plastic "bling" BS) car to save our life.
Where to start ... how about very LOW gas mileage, despite their size and weight VERY dangerous in accidents, etc.. I am a 50-something and have NO interest in the cars of which you speak.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:21 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
What I posted is accurate and I can back it up.

Read below and tell me again that a minor accident in a pre-1980s car caused major injuries.

HMM nothing like proving his point about older cars.

I didn't see anywhere he said ALL pre-80's cars but he did say pre-70's lacking seat-belts, and BOTH of the articles you posted were seat-belt use ads.

Old 03-27-2016, 02:07 PM

528 posts, read 823,460 times
To answer the OP original question, I do not see muscle car prices falling much in the next 10 to 15 years unless the economy tanks again like it did '08 or worse. I do think it is possible that cars prior to the muscle car era could see some depreciation going forward as the core of those owners pass on.

As far,as millennials being disinterested it the car hobby, personally I don't see it. I attend 15 to 20 car shows and at least 10 cars and coffee events a season. The participants for both activities is quite different. The classic shows draw a markedly older crowd with older vehicles, 90% american made vehicles. The people who attend the local cars and coffee tend to be much younger and the cars they are passionate about are their daily drivers and not show cars. They modify their cars just like past generations both in appearance and performance but their preferences seem to be Asian and European brands. I would not be surprised to see the majority of vehicles at shows 15 to 20 years down the road to be Asian and European. These same people will spend money on that special vehicle they had or lusted after just like the enthusiast that came before them when they become more financially successful.

Old 03-27-2016, 02:13 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Let me preface this, I am a millennial who grew up watching monster trucks and tractor pulls in the late 80's so there were a number of old looking cars and trucks on the circuits. Not just muscle cars there were funny car El Caminos, modified 4x4s from the 1930's and 40's, a two wheel drive 1908 C-cab delivery truck, El Camino monster trucks, Corvette monster trucks, a black 1951 Ford Panel Wagon monster truck, a 1950 Chevy Panel wagon monster truck and a Yellow Model-T among 3 to 5 window coupes used for mud bogs. I still enjoy looking at classic car bodied monster trucks like the new Gas Monkey Garage muscle car, 1970's truck bodied trucks like Titan or the various 1941 Willy's trucks whether it is Black Smith, River Rat, Captain's Curse or Nasty Boy. I also enjoy going to classic car shows and seeing old Vettes, the batmobile (the Adam West one,) muscle cars, old woodies, three and five window coupes, etc. I appreciate these cool looking cars.

That said, I much rather modern cars (say 1990+) as they have better fuel mileage and safety features. Also, I wasn't born with a wrench in my hand so if my (theoretical) 1960's muscle car were to breakdown like my brother's 1974 Chevelle Malibu did, good luck replacing the parts. It is mostly about saving when people buy cars. Unless they are a grease monkey gearhead who was born with a wrench in their hand, they aren't going to be able to fix these older cars if they were to have a breakdown.

Old 03-27-2016, 02:16 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Of course those are ads promoting seatbelt use. How about real life?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g

Everyone's free to do what they want but driving these classic cars is not for me.
You should read it again. Some who were not even wearing seat belts still survived.

As for video which has been posted about 1,000 times. It has no effect on me at. I would not mind owning a 1959 Chevrolet. It's a lot safer than a motorcycle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive