Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 08:27 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times

Advertisements

The 205 is the best one out there for that. It's a part time, gear driven, cast iron unit. It is bulletproof and also came with your model truck. That would be my choice. Things to consider for ease of installation.

Get one from your same transmission previously stated.

Take measurements, or really measure your current t case as well as the one you get because if you have a 203, the 205 might be a different length, therefore affecting the length's of the driveshafts. If so you'll need the shafts shortened and or a longer one. Basically, if the bonyard case is out of a half ton and where it connects to the transmission to the rear output yoke is the same, you should be fine for your rear driveshaft. And if the distances match up to the front yoke you should be fine as well.

Try to get one from another K10. If from a K20 or 30 you would have to either have your driveshafts reworked (which may be required anyway) for the larger u-joints at the t-case or change the yokes over to accommodate the smaller 1/2 ton ones on your K10. Should not be a big deal if your current t-case is a 205 but if it is a 203 they may not fit.

The transfer case is where the 4 wheel drive comes from so as long as all the front end components are hooked up and working; there is a front driveshaft, the hubs engage to the axle when locked, and there are actually axle shafts in the front tube going to the diff , then you'll have your 4hi. (if the boneyard T-case is good )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 08:39 AM

One more stupid question. Has this non 4hi in any way been confirmed by actually driving the truck? I know i've asked similar but it would help to be 100% before actually shelling out the coin for another case if the one you have actually works. My point to this stupid question is that some people will see a front wheel not spinning and think their truck does not have 4 wheel drive, but it is because of the open diff. As an example, if you have your passenger side in slick mud and your driver side on pavement and stick your head out looking at your front tire while hitting the gas, your front driver side tire will just sit there. If your drivers side is in the mud you'll get a face covered in mud!

Dumb question , but I figured I'd throw it out there!

Old 03-29-2016, 08:49 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
No issues at 201k miles... but it's a 2011, so all highway miles. I did have to replace the clock spring the other week due to steering wheel buttons stopped working.
So lucky to live in Colorado. Is a salt zone that truck would already be rusted away and worth about $2500.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:52 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
I can't remember ever seeing a transfer case with 2 low, just 2hi, 4hi and 4lo. There really isn't a reason to have a 2 low.
Ive seen these kinds of transfer cases before. Always Ford or Chevy, 1950s, 1960s. Not sure if factory or an aftermarket but I know how they were used. We had similar set up on our farm trucks when I was growing up.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
only 4 shifts I can do with the shifter...

all the way down is 2hi
1 more up would be neutral
1 more up would then be 2-lo
1 more up would be 4-lo

and cant go any more up then that. if I try forcing it pass 4-lo i think it will just break the stick ha ha. Anyhow, what could this be? I am stumped as you are because I know these K10s had 4hi and 4lo
(front)
4L
2L
N
2H
4H
(back)

That is the shift order of a converted 203 from what I understand, basically the same order you have, minus a major one!

You are stateing that you basically have that with the exception of 4hi, which would be the gear with the shifter all the way back?

You state shifter will not go further up. OK, but will it go further down? Is something stopping it? Such as the floor board?

If so..........Does this truck have a body lift?

Old 03-29-2016, 12:18 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
would it be better to just replace my current t-case with a np205 for the junk yard? If so, would I get back my 4x4 lo and hi?

i believe i can get 1 for about 200 around here unless you guys recommend anything else
It may be just that the knob is throwing you off. The real way to see is to just shift and see how many positions it has. You may already have the 205. The 203 as you well know is full time 4WD and DOES NOT have a way to select 2WD anywhere so therefore the 2LO makes no sense. I've never heard of 2lo in my life.

If your transfer case is a 5 position? it will probably be a a 203 and be like this (remember all are 4wd)
LO LOC
LO
N
HI
HI LOC

If it is a 205 (part time 4WD) it should be a 4 position like this
4 LO
N
2 HI
4 HI

Just another note. Only V8's in the 74 model year had a choice between 203 and 205. All six cylinders came with 205 standard.

I had a 74 4x4 suburban (part time 205) and a 76 4x4 suburban (full time 203).

Here are the 203 on the left and the 205 on the right

Old 03-29-2016, 07:30 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,090 times
Quote:
this actually makes sense. I am betting this is what the issue is!

So, if I can get an NP208 transfer case or a 205 from the junkyark and get the proper adapters, the transfer case is what has the 4HI correct?
Yes the transfercase is where the fourwheel drive stuff is located.

Which transmission do you have?The Turbo 350/Turbo 400/SM465 Muncie all have different spline counts and output shaft lengths which vary by year too.Since your truck is so old someone could have swapped something newer in there so its important to figure out what you have now.

Crawl under your truck and look.....is the transfercase cast iron?If yes its a NP203 or a NP205.There should be an I.D. plate on the transfercase,it will be stamped 203 or 205....if its not there look to the left of the big circular inspection plate on the back,if there is a small plate in the middle,about the size of a 50 cent piece held on by three bolts its a 203.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive