Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2016, 12:18 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,420,851 times

Advertisements

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum. It's the best fit I could find

I recently bought a car and have a temporary (90) day registration tag on it. The temporary registration expires tomorrow but my husband and I are moving from Arizona to Texas on 4/14. Instead of paying for the registration, plates, tags, etc., and then asking for a refund later, any ideas on what the best option would be instead?

I've attempted to call both the Arizona DMV and the Texas DMV but (several transfers later) I still don't have a solid answer.

Should I get a 30 day permit for Arizona? Should I get a 30 day permit for Texas? The car will not be driven through the states, rather it'll be towed behind a Uhaul.

If it matters this was a private sale and the car was paid for in cash. We have the title but it has not been transferred into our name yet since we hadn't registered the car yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 01:19 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,228,591 times
I don't know that you'll even be able to get a 30 day permit for either AZ or TX at this point. That 90 day tag is very generous to begin with. I have in the past gotten an extension due to a dealer screwing up paperwork and the title being delayed and the 30day tag running out but the dmv was clear that was a one time deal. You could stop driving it until the move if that's an option and not register it. But if you want to be driving between now and then you likely need to register in AZ.

Arizona does not offer prorated registration refunds when moving to a new state.
http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/vehicleserv...ehicle/refunds
Moving Out of Arizona | DMV.org

Old 03-31-2016, 01:50 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
I'm not up in the minutae of vehicle registration laws in each of those two states, but in the places I've lived, you could just let it sit in the driveway with no tag on it for 30 days without any issue.

So as long as you don't have to drive it right now, I'd just park it until the move. (And if it's in a garage, no one knows it's there)

Old 03-31-2016, 03:50 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,869,623 times
It would probably be OK to just wait until you get here to Texas to take care of it, especially if you are not driving it much. You will need to have proof of insurance, a Texas inspection, and then you can go apply for a Texas title and license plates. You will be paying 6.25% sales tax on the presumptive value of the car as determined by the state, unless a tax is paid in AZ, then you get a credit for it with proof. Can you get the seller to sign the proper Texas title application paperwork? If not, then that could be an issue and you might need to get a title in AZ first, then move. From what I recall, Texas does not require a Texas title when you move here unless you just want one, but you do have to pay any sales tax difference and pay for the license plate registration.

TxDMV.GOV - Motorists

TxDMV.GOV - Out of State and Imported Vehicles

Old 03-31-2016, 09:46 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,420,851 times
Thanks to all of you for the responses and links/resources.

From what I've been able to find out and after making a few more phone calls, we're going to go down to the MVD tomorrow and get a second 90-day permit, which I guess is allowed under certain circumstances like moving out of state.

I wish there was an option to not drive the car until I get to Texas and can get it tested and registered, but my husband and I both have full-time jobs and carpooling is not an option due to distance. So hopefully this plan tomorrow works...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive