Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 09:02 AM

25,574 posts, read 17,286,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
That works too. Although I can't see throwing parts at something. Put a can of refridgerant with a leak detector in it, for a couple of buck and a U/V light find out where the leak is. It could be the hoses. Or a fitting. One doesn't need a engine to fail on an airplane at 10,000ft but whats the worst that happens if your engine on a car fails? You end up on the shoulder of the highway?
Usually there is some warning of engine failure also, knocking, excessive smoke, etc.........
I am going to drive my truck for a total of 45 years, or until I am 90. Unless I wreck it.

No one ever drove a vehicle for 45 years while a piecework approach to repairs. In this case the air conditioning system quit on my 25 year old truck, so I am going to fix it so that it goes another 20 years.

Engine: The engine will not last 45 years. It is going to break. I can do a complete rebuild now, while the core is good, or I can break down in Wyoming during a blizzard. It's the same approach that truckers use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 03:43 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Here's the story:
90 GMC 4X4. I bought it new; I am going to keep it.
Original compressor. Condensor replaced 10 years ago when I hit a deer. Original dryer.
I have had to recharge the system every year for the past few years, so something has been leaking during the winter, but not the summer. I charged it up 3 weeks ago and it did not hold the charge for even a few days. Worked fine for a few days.

This is a 25 year old compressor, so I am going to replace it. Dryer, too.
But I don't have a vacuum pump; no one has one to rent, either. I hate the thought of not pulling a hard vacuum on the system for a few hours after the work is done. But I don't want to spend 80$ on a pump I will use ONCE.

Anyone got any ideas on how I can do this? The only thing I have is a hand vacuum pump, and I'm wondering if there is a way I can use it.....?

Any comments from experienced AC people would be appreciated...
Diagnosing a problem by replacing expensive parts usually does no turn out well. Why don't you start by finding the leak?

You will NOT properly evacuate the system with a hand vacuum pump.

Don in Austin

Old 04-03-2016, 05:29 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevysrf View Post
A vacuum pump that is not rated for microns and or used without a micron gage is useless. Your system must be evacuated to 500 microns and it must hold that vacuum to insure that moisture and non condensibles have been removed.

Accutools Micro Bluvac Digital Micron Gauge with Coupler
Evacuation and Vacuum Training
That information appears to be about large HVAC or refrigeration systems, whereas this discussion is about an automotive system.

Old 04-03-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I am going to drive my truck for a total of 45 years, or until I am 90. Unless I wreck it.

No one ever drove a vehicle for 45 years while a piecework approach to repairs. In this case the air conditioning system quit on my 25 year old truck, so I am going to fix it so that it goes another 20 years.

Engine: The engine will not last 45 years. It is going to break. I can do a complete rebuild now, while the core is good, or I can break down in Wyoming during a blizzard. It's the same approach that truckers use.
You would be surprised what truckers do. I worked for a large trucking co. we had many vehicles with over 1 million miles that had never even had the valve covers off. I worked in a quarry where we had a chevy pickup truck with about 140K miles on it that they overheated and blew the head gaskets. The head mechanic decided he's rebuild the engine. I looked at it, saw there was NO ridge in the cylinders, the body was rotted away, the only reason it had plates on it was so they could run off property for coffee and said why bother?
Between unleaded fuels, and improvements in motor oils, you could get 500K miles out of a gasoline engine. Have you ever done an oil analysis on it? Some large fleets do that for scheduled maintenance. All cheaper than just throwing parts at it. It is your money though, do as you please.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:04 PM

672 posts, read 699,200 times
Whatever you do, don't purchase a reman compressor! It will only last a summer or two. New is the way to go. You also may want to replace your high and low lines with the vehicle being 25yrs old. I had an issue with mine leaking on a GM car that I had. Unless they have changed, Autozone rents out vacuum pumps. I always rented one from them when I did A/C work on my car. But the last time I rented one, was back in 2012. Install new o-rings and lube them with a little bit of Vaseline if you're going to keep you same low/high side lines.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:11 PM

48 posts, read 96,980 times
Quote:
That information appears to be about large HVAC or refrigeration systems, whereas this discussion is about an automotive system.

The same principles apply, the same processes are occurring, system must be leak free, non-condensibles need to be removed, moisture must be removed.
The ability to hold 500 microns indicates a dry leak free system. The ebay vacuum pump linked does not even claim to be able to reach the vacuums need for hvacr service. Any air, any leak, any moisture will impact system life. Modern systems are very highly stressed, what worked on a 1970 mustang will kill one of todays system in short order.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1538 View Post
Whatever you do, don't purchase a reman compressor! It will only last a summer or two. New is the way to go. You also may want to replace your high and low lines with the vehicle being 25yrs old. I had an issue with mine leaking on a GM car that I had. Unless they have changed, Autozone rents out vacuum pumps. I always rented one from them when I did A/C work on my car. But the last time I rented one, was back in 2012. Install new o-rings and lube them with a little bit of Vaseline if you're going to keep you same low/high side lines.
I wouldn't use Vaseline, that's petroleum based, refrigerant oil.

Quote:
The same principles apply, the same processes are occurring, system must be leak free, non-condensibles need to be removed, moisture must be removed.
The ability to hold 500 microns indicates a dry leak free system. The ebay vacuum pump linked does not even claim to be able to reach the vacuums need for hvacr service. Any air, any leak, any moisture will impact system life. Modern systems are very highly stressed, what worked on a 1970 mustang will kill one of todays system in short order.
I always uses Hg, that vacuum pump on ebay had no problems pulling down 30" when I used it. That's the vacuum my gauges read, not microns. What's the equivalent in microns of 30"hg?

Old 04-03-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1538 View Post
I wouldn't use Vaseline, that's petroleum based, refrigerant oil. As far as a reman goes, that's a crap shoot. Some remans are good, some not so good.

Quote:
I always uses Hg, that vacuum pump on ebay had no problems pulling down 30" when I used it. That's the vacuum my gauges read, not microns. What's the equivalent in microns of 30"hg?

Old 04-03-2016, 09:04 PM

940 posts, read 969,108 times
Quote:
This is hogwash especially for an auto ac system.

For starters a new drier will catch all the moisture in an improperly vacuumed system.

I ran a car that had to be recharged every year because of a leaky evap for around eight years recharging it every year, never once vacuuming it out.

Replaced the evap and drier and pulled a vacuum using one of those $15 air powered venturi ones, been three years now, car still has it's original 21 year old compressor.

The guys car is a 1990, nothing like a modern day system.

OP, if you have an air compressor grab one of those air powered ones from Harbor Freight. You'll also need the $45 gauge set, a can tap, and most likely two cans of refrigerant (I assume 134a?). Get the compressor oil that is correct for your compressor, as they sell several different weights. Definitely replace all seals, as they are fairly cheap. I would diagnose the leak first as if it's the evaporator those are a pain to get to.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:13 PM

940 posts, read 969,108 times
Quote:
I wouldn't use Vaseline, that's petroleum based, refrigerant oil. As far as a reman goes, that's a crap shoot. Some remans are good, some not so good.

You're fine. Let it sit and cap it off to make sure it holds the vacuum. Then suck it again as the moisture boils off. It's not rocket science. Be careful, when introducing the refrigerant into the system bleed the line of air first by cracking the yellow hose at the manifold with the can tap open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive