Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 04:02 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
In all fairness, these types of places are dealing with people who are extraordinarily likely to default on their loan. These aren't people who just "need a break," but instead are people who are utterly undeserving of being extended credit in any form.
Probably true. Kind of like those people on Craigslist asking for payment plans to buy your car. Yeah, I'm going to hand over my beater to you and let you make installment plans. I'm pretty sure you have excellent credit which is why you can't go the traditional route and get a loan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 04:12 PM

37 posts, read 45,812 times
WHOA...WHOA
I sold cars for 6 months at a dealership like that...DON"T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT >>
most of those cars have not been properly maintained from the start, they are company fleet cars and rental fleet units with hard miles and little attention to service, auctioned off in groups, some for the second or third time. The dealer throws a quick wax and wash job, steam cleans the engine and sprays some " new car smell chemicals inside and on the lot it go's.
Even if you can pay cash, but I doubt it, most prices listed are if you finance thru the dealer only,..but even if you could buy the car at the price listed, it's still not a quality pre-owned car someone took care of and traded it in. People who buy at those type dealers don't have anything worth trading. And , if you have a problem after the sale don't expect and kind of quality service.....just the run-around, once they kick you over the curb it's on to the next sucker...
.........Watch the movie " USED CARS" with Kurt Russel, the movie is very funny, but so are the dealers your talking about.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:15 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I would consider it. And I think it depends on where you live. I live in an area without many decent-paying jobs, and there are many people like myself, on a fixed income. We couldn't get decent financing.

Both sides are accepting the risks and the benefits. I see ads for where I live from dealers who offer financing, and the cars look fine. The businesses look clean and reputable.

So, I think it just depends. For instance, I needed to buy a "new" vehicle and to get a better price than one of these dealers, and knowing I couldn't get decent financing, I got cash advances on a credit card at 25% interest, plus cash fees, and bought one on Craigslist.

But, then I "retired" my old vehicle to the State of CA and got $1500 for it, which I put to paying off the credit card. And then made $300/month payments toward the balance to pay it off.

Even with the costs for the fees and high interest rate, I did okay because I got a good deal on the truck. Plus, I'm rebuilding my credit, and the fact that I maxed the credit card, but then paid it off quickly, dramatically improved my credit score.

If I hadn't found the truck I wanted on Craigslist, I would have gone for the dealer financing - as long as I could pay it off early.

It's a niche market. And up here, where the used car dealers aren't selling tons of cars, the financing helps keep them in business. And if the people who buy don't make their payments and it gets repossessed, that's on them.

But, I wouldn't assume that all of the vehicles were junk. That doesn't seem to be the case here, anyway. Anytime you buy a used car, you need to do your due diligence.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:21 PM

37 posts, read 45,812 times
The dealer ad should read

.........WE WILL SCREW ANY AND ALL CUSTOMERS......

Old 04-04-2016, 04:40 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
20ish years ago when I had credit problems I bought a 93 240sx from Ugly Duckling (now known as DriveTime). Im sure I way over paid for it but Id screwed my credit at the time and they were willing to finance. Drove it for 4yrs (cleaned up my credit) and traded it in on something brand new.

I also saw a lot of cars on the lot I wouldnt touch with a 10ft pole. I'm sure it is the luck of the draw but I agree with those who said to get a pre-purchase inspection

Old 04-04-2016, 05:05 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
One of the girls I worked with bought a car from one of these places.

She was one day late on her payment and the car was repossessed.

She was able to sue the car company and won but the experience was humiliating.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:35 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,453 times
I've purchased exactly one vehicle at a lot like this, a "grandma's car" 80's model trade-in that while in need of some repair was actually in good shape. Paid cash and ran it for almost two years, not a bad deal.
Actually met the original owner's daughter at a local gas station, she couldn't believe it was still around.

But for a regular type purchase of one of the used up tiltbed dodgers on the lot, never. I'd drag a car out of the local junkyard, recondition it first and end up with a better ride for less money. That's with paying somebody else to do the work!

However, in their favor, they are providing a service to those who've screwed up in life and don't know any better. Or, in other words, if a sucker is born every minute, and the sucker has money to spend, why not have him spend it with you?

Old 04-04-2016, 10:57 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,939,252 times
I have used them before and there was one that went over and above... Bought the car and one of the tires went flat a couple of days later.. Took it back as the tire looked terrible at that point.. They said no prob, sent us to a place down the street and they put 4 new tires on it... Tranny went a day or two later, BUT was in a recall for the tranny... They paid for a rental car while the dealership fixed it and also gave us money for compensation...

Oh yeah and they used Wacchovia for their financial people...

I have had legit brand name dealerships that did less...

Old 04-05-2016, 07:23 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
It seems, in my opinion that those "type" places sell cars with higher interest rates because folks with bad credit still need a car and have less options.

If you have better options, and better credit you should explore all your area dealers and go for the best deal, with lower interest rates

Also, I've seen dealers offer a deal, just to get folks to come look...and of course that car is sold...But let me show you "this little beauty"

Old 04-05-2016, 07:27 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times
No Credit, No Problem!

I always see the ads around here for local sleeze dealerships as I refer to them. "Bring $100 and have a job and we will get you approved!" And people wonder why they are in so much debt and can't pay bills. But who cares they have a brand new Altima, smh.

The better ones are those that say you can own this Yukon Denali for $299 a month and in small print on the screen states you need to bring "$65,000 cash for the $70,000 car to get the deal."

They are all crooks in my book, I'd be much happier buying a car from Amazon and having it delivered to my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive