Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 02:08 PM

242 posts, read 493,390 times

Advertisements

If there are certain cars that maintain value longer, why would anyone buy used in in the first place (considering a 1-3 year old car)? If the discounted price for a used car is not too far off the new price, why not buy new?

Looking at used cars right now, I am shocked to see how "expensive" the prices are compared to new. When I last purchased a car in 2011, I got a good deal on a 1 year old car. Now, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 02:21 PM

902 posts, read 1,104,704 times
some brands have higher resale values on average but keep in mind that the answer to your question is more "model specific"

some brands have a model that tops the charts for resale while that same brand may have models that are average or below average for resale

2015 Best Retained Value Awards

Kelley Blue Book

The 10 best cars for resale values - CBS News

Old 04-05-2016, 02:39 PM

242 posts, read 493,390 times
You missed the point.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:42 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe View Post
If there are certain cars that maintain value longer, why would anyone buy used in in the first place (considering a 1-3 year old car)? If the discounted price for a used car is not too far off the new price, why not buy new?

Looking at used cars right now, I am shocked to see how "expensive" the prices are compared to new. When I last purchased a car in 2011, I got a good deal on a 1 year old car. Now, not so much.

Because some people are morons and think depreciation matters on a new car even if you keep it for years.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
There are many other reasons for buying used. For example, the style has changed, and the person prefers last year or the year before. When it comes to the modern muscle cars, values drop fast. For Camaro, Challenger, and Mustang the 1-2 year old car can be 1/3 of the original price and still have some bumper-bumper warranty left. Some people expect to keep the car until it dies, and don't care about the resale value, but cannot afford new or just don't want to pay for the new price. Plenty of people are buying used cars, or the prices would be dropping. Since they are going up/remaining high, there is great demand, and that's while new car sales are setting records. Just more signs of a good economy.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:12 PM

4,547 posts, read 3,750,269 times
Agreed. I'm not sure why some people buy slightly used instead of new. 2 of my friends bought a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and the other one bought a 4runner. They both had big plans to search for the best used Wrangler and 4Runner, but decided it is best to just buy new and be the 1st owner. Those 2 vehicles used prices were ridiculous! I went car hunting with them. Personally, I was very surprised at the Jeep Wrangler prices!

Old 04-05-2016, 05:26 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
The abnormally high used car prices aren't going to last. The Great Recession very much tightened up the supply of late model used cars. There were a million less leased cars coming off lease in 2012 than in 2014. 31% of all new cars are now leased so that growth in cars coming off lease is going to continue. It's not just luxury brands. There has been a huge spike in leased compact and subcompact cars. All those cars are coming off lease now. Prices for late model used cars are kind of inevitably going to drop some.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:29 PM

8,688 posts, read 11,076,893 times
Does halo cars count?

Old 04-05-2016, 09:29 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The abnormally high used car prices aren't going to last. The Great Recession very much tightened up the supply of late model used cars. There were a million less leased cars coming off lease in 2012 than in 2014. 31% of all new cars are now leased so that growth in cars coming off lease is going to continue. It's not just luxury brands. There has been a huge spike in leased compact and subcompact cars. All those cars are coming off lease now. Prices for late model used cars are kind of inevitably going to drop some.
I keep hearing this but car price seem so high. When is this drop going to happen so I can buy

Old 04-05-2016, 09:32 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Agreed. I'm not sure why some people buy slightly used instead of new. 2 of my friends bought a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and the other one bought a 4runner. They both had big plans to search for the best used Wrangler and 4Runner, but decided it is best to just buy new and be the 1st owner. Those 2 vehicles used prices were ridiculous! I went car hunting with them. Personally, I was very surprised at the Jeep Wrangler prices!
Jeep Wranglers hold their value better than almost anything else on the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive