Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 06:11 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,849 times

Advertisements

My fave RV is made by a Canadian company Roadtrek and we want a new one soon.
Canadian dollar is down 24% against US dollar, plus we really despise the local RV dealer since they have done nothing but lie and do poor maintenance/repairs. We'd have to drive about 400 miles to get to a different dealer so why not fly to Canada and buy a new one (sell ours locally for about what the local dealer would offer).

Are there any negatives to doing this?
I'm asking this in the automotive forum because you'll have more knowledge of emissions etc.
Florida is not California, no emissions laws, no yearly inspections required, they'll just collect a tax when we title it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 07:11 PM

9,877 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Here you go:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...port%20vehicle

Old 04-06-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Thanks for the link, very helpful.

These RV's are being sold throughout the US, driven from Canada to US dealers, but we don't know whether the Canada RV's (purchased from Canada dealer) are the same and able to be imported by individuals.
Obviously Roadtrek handles Customs and importing for their US dealers.

I've sent an email to a Toronto area dealer asking if they've sold to US customers.
Maybe I should call Roadtrek and ask if there are any changes they have to make for their US dealers.
Roadtrek basically takes a van (Dodge Ram or Sprinter) and turns it into an RV, they don't change the vehicle itself, just add interior (coach) features along with propane heat/gas stove and a under hood generator.

Saving 20% or more makes it worthwhile when the list price is $88k

Old 04-07-2016, 06:53 AM

got a speedy email reply from Canadian RV dealer: No they don't sell to Americans because-
1)The warranty would be void
2)There is a 13% Ontario sales tax

So forget that idea :-(

Old 04-07-2016, 10:07 AM

9,877 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
got a speedy email reply from Canadian RV dealer: No they don't sell to Americans because-
1)The warranty would be void
2)There is a 13% Ontario sales tax

So forget that idea :-(
That's usually what happens. I know that most auto makers will not warranty a vehicle if it is moved from Canada to the US before it has been registered in Canada. The goal is to protect the US dealers from exactly what you are trying to do.

I know back in 2000-2001 when the Honda Odyssey came out, dealers were buying them in Canada and reselling them as used in the US with an aftermarket warranty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive