Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 07:58 AM

707 posts, read 1,407,075 times

Advertisements

I would just install an exhaust fan in your attached garage and be done with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 10:30 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben theredundat View Post
I have no idea what this means?
Say you have a plate of food; the peas have rolled in to the mashed potatoes, and they're smashed against the steak. Another absolutly trivial issue that many people hate.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:35 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
It doesn't mean cheap. It means older and I don't care where you live. If you see a home with a detached garage it generally means it was built pre-WW II.
Again, it depends on the area. This is a close mindset because you're only looking at a few areas.

Most attach garage homes here are 1960 and up.

I'm currently about to start the home buying process and I HAVE to have a detach garage so I have to up my budget. I'm looking at homes build 2000+ and I'm finding a lot of houses.

We have very few homes that old. Many 1960s ranch style though and even those have detach garages.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:38 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I didn't say any odor enters the house. It doesn't. No fumes, no odors, nothing enters the house; it stays in the garage.

The HVAC system in the house is excellent. The car is 24 years old and a bit "leaky" in the oil department.
Maybe there is an exhaust fan that is acrivated by the garage door closing?

Old 04-10-2016, 12:16 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
No. They're hazardous. So are gas stoves and chain saws.

But there are the Fire Apparatus Vehicle Exhaust Recovery Systems we could incorporate into our home safety! Back up to the garage, attach your FAVER hose and back it right in! You can remote start and the exhaust fan will start automatically!

Or you could refrain from idling your engine inside your garage and leave your door open until the fumes dissipate.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:55 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
An attached garage is perfectly safe, PROVIDED the builder was honest and cared about his work, hiring competent employees who had the same strong work ethics, instead of cutting corners and hiring whomever. I would put money on the majority of new homes being built by the cut corners/cheap labour guys. They want to slap homes up to fast anymore, with multiple homes on the go with limited crews.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:24 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,995 times
As someone stated, many people have been living in houses with attached garages for decades and surviving. There is no concrete evidence it is risky.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:36 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,906,835 times
I spent over 40 years as a mechanic, working many 14 hour days and seven day weeks in enclosed garages, surrounded by many vehicles, running and not, many of which were running poorly when they arrived, meaning they were emitting very poor quality emissions for me to breathe.
I've had way more than my share of any and every kind of fumes from gas, 2 stroke, diesel, propane and NG fueled vehicles, and now well into my 70's, I'm still as healthy, nasty, mean and grumpy as ever, so I have to discount your theory...

Old 04-10-2016, 02:44 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Again, it depends on the area. This is a close mindset because you're only looking at a few areas.

Most attach garage homes here are 1960 and up.

I'm currently about to start the home buying process and I HAVE to have a detach garage so I have to up my budget. I'm looking at homes build 2000+ and I'm finding a lot of houses.

We have very few homes that old. Many 1960s ranch style though and even those have detach garages.
,"Have to"?

Old 04-10-2016, 03:31 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben theredundat View Post
The Garage Queen thread got me thinking about this subject again. Thought I'd start a separate thread on this, rather than hijack.. Would like to hear rebuttals or why people justify living under the same roof line as their cars. The catalytic converter keeps working up to 30 minutes after you park your car. Fumes are being leaked into living areas, no matter how air tight you think you garage is & slowly poisoning you & your family. The situation is much worse if you have vehicles that require premium fuel.

Attached garages were brought about as part of 'smart growth' & the green agenda programs. These are masked ways of pushing Agenda 21. Forcing people, many city codes now require attached garages, to live under the same roof as your (horse) vehicle is terrible for your health.

I recently (am in the final weeks) built a new home & went round & round w/ a retired Ford engineer who designed my home, about my desire for a detached garage. His final volley was something like, frankly poor people live in houses w/ detached garages. My comeback was poor people live in the barn w/ their horses. Not sure why I had to convince him anyway. I was paying for it & going to live in the house, not the barn/garage.

Prior to this I kept my vehicles parked outside of the garage of homes that I owned w/ attached garages.
I never gave it much thought until your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive