Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 05:11 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times

Advertisements

Perhaps you'd like to live in a city where there are alleys in the back and that's the only practical place for a garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 05:34 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben theredundat View Post
The Garage Queen thread got me thinking about this subject again. Thought I'd start a separate thread on this, rather than hijack.. Would like to hear rebuttals or why people justify living under the same roof line as their cars. The catalytic converter keeps working up to 30 minutes after you park your car. Fumes are being leaked into living areas, no matter how air tight you think you garage is & slowly poisoning you & your family. The situation is much worse if you have vehicles that require premium fuel.
I've lived with an attached garage for oh 20 or so years.....no ill health effects. I also don't go to my exhaust pipes when I exit my vehicle and suck on them. I know folks who have had attached garages for 70+ years and car fumes isn't what killed them! Old age killed most of them and by old age I mean they were in their 90's. Others are still alive in their 80's....again no car fume poisoning.....Sounds like completely made up nonsense from someone with a tinfoil hat.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:54 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Maybe there is an exhaust fan that is acrivated by the garage door closing?
The garage door has nothing to do with the vehicle's oil odor. But this thread has convinced me that, simply for the sake of the interior garage odor, that we should not be so quick to close the garage door, and should let it air out a bit.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:00 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
YUp, First world problems

Old 04-10-2016, 06:48 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
My garage is double the size of my home. It is built to look like a 1950's gas station. My cars are all pre-1970 so no catalytic converters, and my truck is a 1990 diesel that runs on used cooking oil. The garage has windows that are usually open. Many older Florida homes with attached garages had windows and lower vents so there was no way fumes would get in the house.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:51 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
My garage doesn't completely seal and you can sometimes feel a slight breeze from around it.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:27 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
My garage is double the size of my home. It is built to look like a 1950's gas station. My cars are all pre-1970 so no catalytic converters, and my truck is a 1990 diesel that runs on used cooking oil. The garage has windows that are usually open. Many older Florida homes with attached garages had windows and lower vents so there was no way fumes would get in the house.
Sounds like my kind of garage... tried once to set up a 1930's station that was being removed... it was really small and constructed of metal... no go with the city...

Would love to see a picture if you have one.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:28 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,276,554 times
I was looking at a house that had a tuckunder garage that was located under the bedrooms... somehow I thought that was a bad idea. Aside from the fact you can hear it when it's opening from the bed, there's the matter of all the flammable liquids located there....

Old 04-11-2016, 11:37 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I was looking at a house that had a tuckunder garage that was located under the bedrooms... somehow I thought that was a bad idea. Aside from the fact you can hear it when it's opening from the bed, there's the matter of all the flammable liquids located there....
Most of the homes I have are like this... they are two story or split-level... I never gave it a second thought.

Fire Code requires a separation above what is required for spaces not used to garage cars.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:17 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
I have a terminally ill spouse. He has serious issues with balance and walking is difficult for him. He needs a walker occasionally but if not, he always has to use a cane to help him. I won't have a detached garage. I want it attached and a ramp going down to it. I won't risk him slipping and hurting himself on ice or a wet sidewalk trying to get to the car. There are pros and cons to everything. I'd be more worried about a fire starting in the garage and spreading to the house than I would any 'toxic fumes'. When we thought it out, there was a much higher risk of him falling than there is of a fire, so attached garage it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive