Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 08:42 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post

As soon as my light turns green, I floor it to 50 mph in under 4 seconds,
Edit: This isn't the first time something like this has happened at a light where I floor it when it turns green. Four times this year,

This is completely your fault. As usual, you don't take responsibility for your own actions in the manner of your driving. I believe there will indeed come a day when we won't hear from you again, because you will have killed yourself and/or someone else with your driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 08:49 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
This might just be a weird coincidence, but on my way back to the gym I was downtown where the speed limit is 25 mph waiting to make a left turn. I accelerated to 30 mph through the turn and a cop that was at the red light flashed his sirens and then turned them off. I don't know if he was trying to send me a message to keep the engine noise down or what, could have been something unrelated to what I was doing. There were no other cars around.

Proof that there is nothing between your ears but hot air.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:53 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
After reading this thread, I think OP should be thankful of his anonymity. His foot is writing checks that his brain can't cover.

I really hope a horseshoe falls from his butt so that no innocent people are hurt by this guy.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:53 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,704 times
WOW 2 idiots on the same thread and one of them even has part of his name as mustang.....

Old 04-11-2016, 07:56 PM

50,281 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
There is a speed limit on every road. There are no laws about how fast or slow it should take you to get to that speed. A car in the opposite lane attempting to make a turn across traffic at a green light does not have the right of way, you do. If you allow them to complete that turn, that is on you.
When a light turn green I also hit the gas as when I am that car in the opposite lane I do not expect anyone to stop and let me turn. I wait until there is an ample opportunity. If the light turn green I also don't automatically assume that I can make the turn before the traffic reaches that point because you need to judge the oncoming speed of the traffic to safely make your decision on when you can make the turn. Sometimes you have to wait until the next green light before you can turn but that just what happens when you are trying to make that left hand turn.
You'll stop when you meet the front end of an F350.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:47 PM

21,875 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Fake story is fake. 50 mph is 73 ft/s. Even assuming you were already traveling at 50 mph the car waiting to make the unprotected left would have enough time to clear the intersection. I might have had to accelerate fast enough to switch out of EV mode in my Prius. Just pure common sense makes the story obviously fake. 800 feet is most of three football fields. When was the last time anyone had a problem making an unprotected left with three football fields of space?

Old 04-12-2016, 03:52 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Fake story is fake. 50 mph is 73 ft/s. Even assuming you were already traveling at 50 mph the car waiting to make the unprotected left would have enough time to clear the intersection. I might have had to accelerate fast enough to switch out of EV mode in my Prius. Just pure common sense makes the story obviously fake. 800 feet is most of three football fields. When was the last time anyone had a problem making an unprotected left with three football fields of space?

Yeah, I mentioned the math not working awhile ago. He posted a picture of the intersection then took it down. The distance was around 300 feet, give or take, so that knocked elapsed time down to a bit over 4 seconds. It would still have been enough for the opposing turner to complete the turn.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:10 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,759,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
And then guess who will be at fault...

I drive an Expedition, granted its no F350 but it'll take a hit.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:54 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
Quote:
There is a speed limit on every road. There are no laws about how fast or slow it should take you to get to that speed.
Yes, there are. Most jurisdictions have laws against "unreasonable" or "excessive" acceleration. Flooring it from a green light can get you a ticket just about anywhere, and for very good reason - it's not safe. As any 16-year old driver's ed student should know.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

Quote:
And then guess who will be at fault...
Quite possibly you, if you were accelerating at an unsafe and unreasonable speed. I know you probably lay awake at night fantasizing about what a thrill it would be to ram an ordinary driver just to show him what a superdriver you are, but if the person you take out has a dash cam that shows you roaring off the line and still accelerating as you hit him, you're going to jail. Which is exactly where you would belong.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:48 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,759,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Yes, there are. Most jurisdictions have laws against "unreasonable" or "excessive" acceleration. Flooring it from a green light can get you a ticket just about anywhere, and for very good reason - it's not safe. As any 16-year old driver's ed student should know.

Quite possibly you, if you were accelerating at an unsafe and unreasonable speed. I know you probably lay awake at night fantasizing about what a thrill it would be to ram an ordinary driver just to show him what a superdriver you are, but if the person you take out has a dash cam that shows you roaring off the line and still accelerating as you hit him, you're going to jail. Which is exactly where you would belong.
First of all Albert the crocodile...your just ornery cause you got all them teeth and no toothbrush, lol. I assume with the hostility in your post that you have been that person attempting to make a left turn and have been unable to because of the speed of traffic. Too bad, so sad, we have all been there.

I am not talking about flooring it off the line. I am referring to a steady acceleration from the time the light turns green. The oncoming traffic is supposed to yield to you if they need to make a left hand turn which crosses over your lane. Just because you are making a left hand turn and the light turns green does not allow you to assume you can turn, you need to yield to oncoming traffic. My pet peeve are those that sit there when the light turns green to allow everyone to turn in front of them which cause traffic to build up at the green light. I follow the rules and steadily press my accelerator when the light turns green, no hot rodding involved as you picture. I am a very responsible driver Albert, I have been driving for 34 years and don't have a single accident under my belt and the last ticket I received was over 10 years ago. I use my blinker 100% of the time, I don't cut anyone off or try to weasel my way into a lane when I knew 2 miles ago I needed to be there, etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive