Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 05:51 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Why would 3 grown men pile on a riding lawn mower after dark and cruise around on public streets? Something is missing here...
I'm pretty sure alcohol was involved
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 06:33 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Stopped at a fireworks store at the Iowa\MO border a year ago and there was a lawn mower parked out front.

Guy inside talking to owner (it was in the AM) wasn't drunk.

Could be loss of license due to DUI or some sort of physical\mental impairment that keeps them from owning a car or having a license.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:28 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
Why would 3 grown men pile on a riding lawn mower after dark and cruise around on public streets? Something is missing here...
Y'all have never lived in the South. That's what's missing.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:35 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Around me it's cyclists. I think they TRY to get killed. They'll ride the wrong way down the wrong side of the street, or down a one-way street, against the arrows in the bike lane that point out the direction they should be traveling (because, apparently people are too stupid to figure that out based on the direction of traffic). They'll do this on streets with parallel parking, so obviously most drivers will not expect the cyclist to come from the wrong direction. We've long since gotten past expecting any cyclist to pay attention to traffic signals.

Every once in a while someone gets flattened. But it amazes me that more, don't.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:49 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Around me it's cyclists. I think they TRY to get killed. They'll ride the wrong way down the wrong side of the street, or down a one-way street, against the arrows in the bike lane that point out the direction they should be traveling (because, apparently people are too stupid to figure that out based on the direction of traffic). They'll do this on streets with parallel parking, so obviously most drivers will not expect the cyclist to come from the wrong direction. We've long since gotten past expecting any cyclist to pay attention to traffic signals.

Every once in a while someone gets flattened. But it amazes me that more, don't.
People actually get DUIs here on bicycles. It's hard to do but it does happen. They are supposed to follow all vehicle rules.

It still doesn't hold a candle to the idiots on foot.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:39 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Quote:
He and his buddies probably had a history of DUIs, wanna bet? Local guy here had over 15 arrests for DUI. It took a special act of our State Legislature to make it operating ANY motor/vehicles, including lawn mowers and boats etc.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:55 AM

45,388 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
People actually get DUIs here on bicycles. It's hard to do but it does happen. They are supposed to follow all vehicle rules.

It still doesn't hold a candle to the idiots on foot.

Yeah, I knew a guy years ago who got nailed for that. He'd ride his bike around town with a Pepsi or Mountain Dew label wrapped around his can of Budweiser.

One guy got stopped (and taken away) for rising a horse while impaired. I don't remember the exact charge now.

More seriously, the Natural Resources Police have really cracked down on drunken boating the last several years.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:44 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Y'all have never lived in the South. That's what's missing.
I haven't?

Old 04-12-2016, 03:07 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
A new local news story has local people talking here in South Louisiana. On a dark country road after 8 pm a man was driving his riding lawnmower on the road. A second man was on the hood of the mower and a third man was in a wheelchair being towed by the mower when a lady in a Ford F-150 hit them from behind. Mower driver, age 41, was killed. Other two guys still alive.

Man on lawn mower struck, killed by vehicle | KLFY

It's stupidity like this that's the reason why people need to pay close attention to the road and slow down when driving at night according to the visible distance of your headlights. True, if these three idiots hadn't been on the road after dark on a riding lawnmower then this wouldn't have happened. But it is possible for her to have avoided the accident. If I can see a dog or possum on a dark road and stop in time to not hit the animal then she could have avoided the three idiots. So far no charges against the driver of the truck and I don't think she should get any. She'll have to live with the death and injury she directly caused and saw. While I don't morn the guy killed on the mower, I do feel sorry for his family.

This is one of many reasons why you must slow down when driving on dark roads at night and pay close attention to the road ahead. Besides animals and debris on the roads, you have to watch out for stupid people doing stupid things. I've avoided hitting someone walking in the road wearing dark non-reflective clothing, someone riding a bicycle with no head or tail lights, and even a guy riding his hover round motorized wheelchair in the middle of the road. Even if you don't care of these idiots live or die, then think about the damage such an accident would cause to your vehicle. Is being "in the right" worth taking someone's life and the damage to your vehicle?
Why on earth are you assuming the woman wasn't driving appropriately for the road conditions and visibility?

Old 04-12-2016, 04:39 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Why on earth are you assuming the woman wasn't driving appropriately for the road conditions and visibility?
Yep, hadda be her fault. Nothing wrong with riding a lawn mower in the dark with no lights, yer buddy riding on the hood, and yer other buddy in the wheel chair getting towed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive