Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 07:59 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,733,097 times

Advertisements

Then topoff with OEM coolant. Once you mix long life with regular coolant you lose the long life properties and now your change intervals have changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 08:09 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,530,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Never saw a coolant for Toyota that was purple. BUT it should have Toyotas version of DexCool in it.
I had a BMW motorcycle that I changed the coolant on. BMW coolant was blue, I think it was ethylene glycol though. (but then BMW stands for Bring My Wallet)

Old 04-14-2016, 09:22 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
Some cant. VW uses a pink coolant that cant be mixed with the green coolants. Apparently it causes solidification of the chemicals.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:25 PM

98 posts, read 137,084 times
Almost all antifreeze is primarily ethylene glycol, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's all compatible because there are important differences are in the anti-corrosion additives. You also can't rely on color because it's just dye, and there's no consistency between the additives and the colors. For example, old Toyota red antifreeze was very different from reddish GM Dexcool and was closer to conventional green. But some cars come with green that's a lot more like Dexcool but is actually a Ford antifreeze, and Valvoline makes it in both blue and red versions.

Apparently there are about 4 major types of antifreeze: MOTOR magazine article about coolants

And here's 2 tables from O'Reilly's auto parts: http://images.oreillyauto.com/upload...%20Chart-1.pdf

It's best to stick with the same kind of antifreeze because switching to a different type can dissolve deposits left in the cooling system and soon turn the coolant into mystery murkiness. Those deposits may not be removed even with a strong cleaning chemical meant to be left in the cooling system for hours. Also those chemicals can turn tiny leaks into big ones, and that can be a disaster if the water pump leaks, especially if it's driven by the timing belt or chain.

If you want correct information about antifreeze, contact their manufacturers, like Valvoline (Zerex) or Prestone.

Last edited by larrymoencurly; 04-14-2016 at 07:34 PM..

Old 04-14-2016, 11:25 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymoencurly View Post
Almost all antifreeze is primarily ethylene glycol, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's all compatible because there are important differences are in the anti-corrosion additives. You also can't rely on color because it's just dye, and there's no consistency between the additives and the colors. For example, old Toyota red antifreeze was very different from reddish GM Dexcool and was closer to conventional green. But some cars come with green that's a lot more like Dexcool but is actually a Ford antifreeze, and Valvoline makes it in both blue and red versions.

Apparently there are about 4 major types of antifreeze: MOTOR magazine article about coolants

And here's 2 tables from O'Reilly's auto parts: http://images.oreillyauto.com/upload...%20Chart-1.pdf

It's best to stick with the same kind of antifreeze because switching to a different type can dissolve deposits left in the cooling system and soon turn the coolant into mystery murkiness. Those deposits may not be removed even with a strong cleaning chemical meant to be left in the cooling system for hours. Also those chemicals can turn tiny leaks into big ones, and that can be a disaster if the water pump leaks, especially if it's driven by the timing belt or chain.

If you want correct information about antifreeze, contact their manufacturers, like Valvoline (Zerex) or Prestone.

That article is 12 years old! A lot of things have changed since then. MOPAR went from HOAT to OAT in 2013. The OAT mentioned in the article is not the same OAT MOPAR uses today. And if you mix HOAT with OAT, you'll have a big gel mess to deal with. The best advice is to read the owner's manual and make sure you use the right stuff.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:54 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,877,474 times
Zerex has different colors for the same antifreeze. FORDs yellow, is the same as MOPARS "pink" (That could be different now, I haven't kept up with it much in the last couple of years), John Deeres (Old formula) green, and one other that slips my mind at the moment, but its blue. All the same Zerex G05.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:10 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Zerex has different colors for the same antifreeze. FORDs yellow, is the same as MOPARS "pink" (That could be different now, I haven't kept up with it much in the last couple of years), John Deeres (Old formula) green, and one other that slips my mind at the moment, but its blue. All the same Zerex G05.

Yes, it's different. MOPAR OAT is purple and is not compatible with any aftermarket coolant at this time.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:45 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
this pickup had the waterpump and timing belt changed at recommended 10year or 100k recently at toyota store and dealer maintained, just noticed that it could use a little topoff..
Man, I would top it off with just distilled water, or go to Toyota and buy a gallon of the dead-nuts correct coolant. You *can* get away with "universal fit" aftermarket coolant, (probably) but for relatively little trouble you can have the right stuff.

For that matter you should be able to prevail on the shop to top it up for free.

Question is, if it needs topping up repeatedly, is this due to evaporation (which happens but is slow) or do you have a leak somewhere?

Old 04-15-2016, 01:30 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,877,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Yes, it's different. MOPAR OAT is purple and is not compatible with any aftermarket coolant at this time.
Figured it was. G05 is getting old now.

I just dumped all of it and fill my stuff with Evans now. (Except the Buick and my truck, which still have a warranty.)

Old 04-16-2016, 07:47 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,530,898 times
Evans is very pricey though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive