Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 12:01 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,398,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Yup, you guys are right. It doesn't really matter---just curious as to how it could be---never saw such damage when one car was parked---but it probably is mostly the SUV to regular sedan ratio.

We were allowed to leave before her, so not sure if she got a ticket. Again, it doesn't really matter.

Waiting to hear from her insurance (Liberty Mutual).

Just so ironic---we try not to drive late at night, in rain, etc.---and then our car possibly gets totalled at 6 p.m. in an almost deserted parking lot! You just never know. Just grateful taht we weren't injured...

Well, I'll put it to you like this -- I have a Honda Accord sedan, and I was going 5 mph when a woman who was texting, slammed into me from behind. She had been going about 30mph. It barely did any damage to either car.

So that heifer was going hella fast when she backed up to do that much damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 12:03 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,488,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Yes, she backed into us----a few scratches on her back bumper and some of the tail light damaged. The car definitely was pushed---about 45 degrees to the left. I know bumpers get damaged in parking lots but this was crazy. I wouldn't love my car getting dinged in the lot, but coming out and seeing that it was turned to an angle taking up two parking spaces instead of the vertical one space parking we left it in made it all that much worse.
You can almost see how she made contact with your car and kept going. It looks like the Tahoe actually climbed up on your car. This was definitely either a cell phone or "under the influence" situation, to hit the car and keep her foot on the accelerator. That's why your car was moved.

Make sure your insurance company doesn't try any of the "partial responsibility" garbage. Did you take pictures of the accident scene?

Old 04-19-2016, 12:11 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,099,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
women in large SUVs are dangerous
If you are serious about this, you have more problems than driving issues.

BTW, men have more serious accidents, statistically. Ever wonder why men under 25 pay a much larger premium than women of the same age?

Old 04-19-2016, 01:18 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,448,725 times
The angle of contact to the Honda looks to have been the rear corner of the other vehicle, as the damage is not all the way across the trunk. So, the direction of travel was not straight into the Honda.

Jim B.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:07 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,755,923 times
The damage is due to the fact that her bumper on the Tahoe is above your bumper. She did not have to hit you very hard or move very fast to do only that much damage. Her hard bumper against your light metal trunk lid and fenders. If she had been going at any speed, she would have done one heck of a lot more damage to your car.

That is one of the reasons they call midsize SUVs like the Tahoe, large SUVs, and full size pickups the most dangerous motor vehicles there are. They are bigger by far, heavier built, truck frames not car frames, high bumpers, and a lot more weight. It is not that the large vehicles are so dangerous to themselves and their passengers, but when ran into by, or run into the smaller light built cars like yours, they cause a lot of damage and have very little to their vehicle.

Go to any parking lot in our part of the country, and you will find the majority of the vehicles are Medium or larger SUVs, and full size pickups. Out here, we drive large and sturdy vehicles, that will handle snow and ice, and in case of an accident like the one your car was in, they survive with little or no damage. We like drive anywhere, at any time vehicles. We have an Explorer and a F-150 pickup.

All you had, was just a little parking lot bump. But due to the two kinds of vehicles involved, your car got hurt the worst.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:16 PM

50,234 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Just run it through a full length resizing die and it should pop right out.

Commercial vehicles are far more dangerous in an accident but usually the driver has a commercial license and spends a lot of time on the road. Some people just should have a bigger vehicle and that's proof.

I thinks it's sexy to see a woman get out of a lifted truck!

Old 04-19-2016, 04:32 PM

4,045 posts, read 2,128,098 times
Thanks all for your replies. Brought it into the auto shop. They don't think it's totalled, but won't know for a few days until they disassemble it. The appraiser was amazed at the damage (she's seen worse of course but not in a car that ws parked).

Old 04-19-2016, 06:40 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,488,708 times
Good luck!

Old 04-19-2016, 09:40 PM

151 posts, read 193,766 times
I’m totally amazed at the amount damage as well. She must’ve really smash the accelerator when backing up. I can definitely tell the initial point of contact and the angel of how your Accord was hit.

While working overnight, I had a sweeper truck hit and moved my parked 3 month old Maxima to a 60 degree angle. The damage done didn’t look nearly as bad as yours.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:14 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,495,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPPU12345 View Post
It were probably some people pulling a prank on the Japanese automobiles.

The people did not like the foreign cars. Some people could not get used to the foreign ideas.

I wanted a Honda, too. It was economic to keep. It was a great car for a loner like me.

But if you had family, you probably wanted a car which looked more sturdy. The robust looks could ward off a lot troubles in "the woods".

EDIT: And back to the topic: if nobody pulled a prank on your Accord, then a Chevy SUV could really push your car 45 degrees. You might not know Chevy: this gasoline hog could push Honda to the next lance by jerking the wheel 2 degrees your ward.
Are you drunk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive