Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 07:47 PM

4,053 posts, read 2,132,994 times

Advertisements

We were parked in a mostly empty parking lot tonight. When we came out of the restaurant, we saw that our car (a Honda Accord) was parked on a diagonal taking up two parking spaces. We momentarily couldn't wrap our brains around it---my husband said, "Wow---I didn't think I parked that badly"---and then in the next second, saw that the back was completely damaged---trunk smushed in, bumper askew. The Chevy Tahoe that had hit us (young woman claimed her foot slipped---she was wearing flip flops, but it seems more likely she just wasn't paying attention and was dealing with her kids or being on the phone) didn't have much damage at all. We called the police even though she wanted us to not call the police or insurance company (when I said no way---we didn't know you and can't trust you, she replied, "I have kids" as if that suddenly made her trustworthy.

We will see if the car has to be totalled. No one was hurt, so that's good. Glad we weren't in the car when it happened. Just can't imagine that she had parked/backed up so close to us as the parking lot was almost empty and we had parked away from the stores and restaurants (we like to get a few extra steps in and thought it was safer to park where not many people would park in the small strip shopping center.

How fast do you think she would have been going to move the car about 45 degrees? I understand damage from rear end collisions, but can't fathom actually pushing a parked car like that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 08:44 PM

19,027 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Who cares. It's done. Main thing you both are OK.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:18 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
Probably not that fast. If it was the full size Tahoe, those things have a lot of mass to them. Force = MA... so with a big heavy vehicle, it doesn't need to be going very fast to make your little Accord slide across the pavement.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:19 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,805 times
Was the asphalt wet? Did it rain recently?

Old 04-19-2016, 12:58 AM

569 posts, read 552,313 times
It were probably some people pulling a prank on the Japanese automobiles.

The people did not like the foreign cars. Some people could not get used to the foreign ideas.

I wanted a Honda, too. It was economic to keep. It was a great car for a loner like me.

But if you had family, you probably wanted a car which looked more sturdy. The robust looks could ward off a lot troubles in "the woods".

EDIT: And back to the topic: if nobody pulled a prank on your Accord, then a Chevy SUV could really push your car 45 degrees. You might not know Chevy: this gasoline hog could push Honda to the next lance by jerking the wheel 2 degrees your ward.

Last edited by CPPU12345; 04-19-2016 at 01:22 AM.. Reason: EDIT:

Old 04-19-2016, 01:19 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times
It would be hard to tell, without a pic, anyway.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:09 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Probably not that fast. If it was the full size Tahoe, those things have a lot of mass to them. Force = MA... so with a big heavy vehicle, it doesn't need to be going very fast to make your little Accord slide across the pavement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
It would be hard to tell, without a pic, anyway.
correct on both accounts. in this case to determine how fast the SuV was going, we would need the length of any skid marks on the pavement made by both cars. in fat just knowing the distance your car was actually moved, and the weight of both vehicles, a good mathematician can give you a very close estimate.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:12 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
We called the police even though she wanted us to not call the police or insurance company....
I'm guessing this isn't the first time she's done something like this. Odds are she either doesn't have insurance or she's on some minimum plan that will have her paying thru the nose for an accident.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:15 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
87 mph. Any faster and the flux capacitor would have kicked in.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:06 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,652,372 times
I know you're just trying to satisfy your curiosity, but it really doesn't matter how fast she was going. There is no combination of facts that, after she hit and destroyed your vehicle in an almost deserted parking lot, she isn't liable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive