Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 07:05 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times

Advertisements

Ok, I've finally had enough after almost getting sideswiped for the 3rd time in a week due to people failing to YIELD.

What in the heck is so hard with the concept? Why can't people understand when faced with a YIELD sign that means you wait until it's clear to proceed?
Here's the setup, y'all tell me where I'm going wrong?
You're at a light waiting to make a left had turn from a major street onto the freeway onramp.

Cars coming the opposite direction have a right turn lane separated from regular through traffic by a concrete island with a sign on it that says "YIELD". There of course is a short merge lane onto the onramp that also has a YIELD sign on it.
Your left hand arrow goes green so you proceed through the intersection and just as you're about to finish your left turn onto the ramp a person turns right without stopping and meets you on the ramp where you both try and occupy the same space at the same time.

You had the green arrow, they had both a red light AND a YIELD sign and yet here you are, door handle to door handle hoping like hell you'll still have paint on the passenger side of your car while the other driver is honking,screaming,gesturing like a crazy person etc that YOU are the idiot.

I'm sorry, I just don't seem to be able to grasp what I've done wrong other than not putting a PIT maneuver on the monron.... ooops, I'm sorry, the poor lost soul that's almost REMOVED THE SIDE OF MY CAR.

Rant off...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 07:29 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,633,311 times
You're 100% right. I see this all the time and it is infuriating and dangerous. In Scottsdale, heading east on Frank Lloyd Wright, making a left turn (north) onto Pima (to the 101 N,) it happens almost all the time. Those heading west on FLW, making a right onto Pima just sail across 4 or 5 lanes to get to the 101 on-ramp almost sideswiping those cars already there after making the left turn having had a green arrow.

Drivers here do some crazy things that I rarely see elsewhere and this one is at the top of the list.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:31 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,627,221 times
Just drive defensively. That's your only choice. You will be at a disadvantage if you decide to get into an accident just because you had the right of way. It is frustrating to have people not yield, but it's part of driving. If someone looks like they're going to do something stupid, just brake and avoid the accident or the road rage that will ensue afterward.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:45 PM

594 posts, read 698,134 times
The Answer : I've noticed just like you.....to solve that don't turn on your blinker when you're going to turn. It seems like in this town the blinker gives the oncoming vehicle the right to disrespect all laws and courtesies. When they DON'T know what you're going to do, it makes their disrespectful butts honor the driving code. Problem solved.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:48 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,030,601 times
The yield sign is too vague.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:01 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Just drive defensively. That's your only choice. You will be at a disadvantage if you decide to get into an accident just because you had the right of way. It is frustrating to have people not yield, but it's part of driving. If someone looks like they're going to do something stupid, just brake and avoid the accident or the road rage that will ensue afterward.
I've been driving defensively hence I've still got paint and no dents... The ONLY thing that saved me on the last one was out of two lanes turning I was in the outside lane and was able to cheat over to the left. The "ahem" ignorant lady who was conflicting with my right to exist in said space wouldn't back down or at a minimum cheat right and slow.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:08 PM

394 posts, read 342,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
The Answer : I've noticed just like you.....to solve that don't turn on your blinker when you're going to turn. It seems like in this town the blinker gives the oncoming vehicle the right to disrespect all laws and courtesies. When they DON'T know what you're going to do, it makes their disrespectful butts honor the driving code. Problem solved.
So that's why so many people don't use turn signals in and around Phoenix...

Ive always been baffled by it - and never realized it's an unorthodoxed strategy

Old 04-19-2016, 08:41 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,537,162 times
I used to investigate auto accidents (claims adjuster) and "yield" the most difficult thing for drivers to learn and retain. Mostly due to laziness.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:05 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,017 times
Your situation is clear cut, you had the right of way. However, a lot of yields are somewhat vague. I don't think people understand who is supposed to yield in a situation similar to yours, but when there's no yield sign or turn arrow for those turning right.
I've seen a couple of near crashes where the person turning left on a solid green thought that the person turning right was supposed to yield and they didn't. Then too I've seen the same thing with people turning right on red while left has a green arrow thinking they had the right-of-way.

Honestly, I think most people have it in their heads that yield means others are supposed to give way to them.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:15 PM

29 posts, read 62,465 times
Curious as to people's thoughts on this: same situation but the person turning right has a green light (if they were going straight) and the person turning left has only a green light (not a green arrow) which indicates a left turn is ok when there is no oncoming traffic.

Who has the right of way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive