Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2016, 12:50 AM

1 posts, read 504 times

Advertisements

It flooded here in Houston I'm having issues with my car ( 2001 Honda Accord LX ). I had it parked on an inclined driveway, but the flood was still able to get the rear end of the car submerged in water. The trunk wasn't fully under water but I'd say it probably reached the middle of the break lights. During the storm I had already expected that water would get in my car, but I would continuously check on the car to see if the water level would ever reach the engine (which it didn't). Once the water had receded back to the street, I went to my car and put the key in the ignition to check if anything electrical was damaged. The engine started to make a clicking noise even though I wasn't cranking it up, so I popped the hood and checked the spark plugs and it wasn't wet or anything so I thought it was gonna be okay I just let it dry up a bit.
Later on that day I decided to see if it would start, when I turned tech key to start it..the engine would crank up, attempting to start but it wouldn't. And when I walked out the car, I walked to the rear and noticed there was water coming out of the exhaust. I took the key back out and left it alone for a day hoping it would fix whatever it was stopping my car from starting. So today, I took the spark plugs out wiped them down, checked the oil, and let the electrical stuff run before I attempted to start it. Surprisingly, the car actually started...and I let it run on its own for about 5 mins until I noticed the engine shaking a bit. So I got in the car and noticed the RPM was below 1 and weakening, so I gently hit the gas a little bit and as soon I let go...the car shut off. I let it cool for a couple mins and thought it may be the battery, so I jumped it and tried to start it...but once again, same results. The car would crank, but not start. Scared that I might've done more damage than good, I've left it alone and now here I am hoping someone would give their opinion.

If there's any important detail you might need to come to a conclusion or some questions you'd like to ask just let me know....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 01:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Just guessing but I suspect water may have entered your gas tank via the vent tube connected to the filler, you might need to empty your tank and put some new gas in the tank and use a bottle or two of a water displacement product.Symptoms of Water in a Car's Gas Tank and How to Fix it? | Gold Eagle

Welcome to the forum Ygeezy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive