Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 12:03 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Guys, here's pics of what I'm talking about. You can see the rubber sticking out on the tire and where it's only near the face.

I've gotten in the car, turned the tires all the way to the left and right, I hear absolutely nothing and I don't see the tires rubbing against any wheels/fenders.

Do you think I just have been sold a bad tire?
That almost looks like your tires have rubbed against the fender, or at least a sharp section of the fender, and the fender has cut into the tire. Do your other tires have the same groove cut into them right below the tread like this one? Have you hit any potholes or bumps that could have compressed your suspension and moved the wheel up into contact with your fender? You might not have even heard it if the radio was on since it is metal to rubber.

If that is the case, then you might be able to "roll" the fenders, which is a method using a fender roller that bends back the inner part of the fender and gives you more clearance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 12:07 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,829,191 times
Guys thanks a lot. Also that black part on the fender isn't from the tires. I went to the car wash this morning, that is from some fresh cement that was on the grounds over here, that I have to hand wash off right quick, I just haven't gotten around to it.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:07 PM

308 posts, read 499,202 times
Yep, it's rubbing on the edge of the fender when you go over bumps and dips on the road. The rims/tires are too wide. And the wheels are not correct offset. I know you said you don't want to sell them rims. But that may be your best options. Unless you're willing to roll or slightly pull the fenders.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:10 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post

If that is the case, then you might be able to "roll" the fenders, which is a method using a fender roller that bends back the inner part of the fender and gives you more clearance.
Good point, now that I think about it, I remember a guy I know using a baseball bat to roll his front fenders once. You stick a bat or whatever round bar you can find that will fit between the tire and the fender and get someone to roll the car slowly as you work the bat around the fender following the tire rolling. It will smoothly bend that lip up farther and maybe slightly bow the fender out more. This is one of those things you may only get one shot at......it either goes as planned or screws your fender all up if you don't do it right. lol

Old 04-20-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Guys thanks a lot. Also that black part on the fender isn't from the tires. I went to the car wash this morning, that is from some fresh cement that was on the grounds over here, that I have to hand wash off right quick, I just haven't gotten around to it.
You better get the cement off immediately. Cement will etch into the paint and permanently bond.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:15 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Never saw black cement. It looks to me like the tire is hitting the inner part of the fender, and those little strings as you call them have flopped around and left the black on your paint. It is possible, as someone mentined, the backspace isnt right on that one particular rim. You could go back to where you got hem from and have them double check that, or swapped the front with the back rim and see if it does it. If it does, you know its hitting the fender, if not the backspace could be off on that particular rim. Regardless, I wouldnt drive on it too much.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:47 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
I appreciate what you are saying, but I'm a black guy and a lot of us like to buy 22 or 24 inch wheels. I had a Charger before this and the 22 inch wheels rode perfectly, I was going to go with 22's again but again, I was rushing and they were out of the 22 inch style I wanted.

I have seen where other guys have bought 24s and had no issues with them, so I'm trying to figure out if this is even a rubbing issue or what it is.

I wasn't buying a Camaro and just riding around in 18's or something on it. I understand this isn't something that appeals to people who are not black for the most part, but I'm a black guy and we put on 22 - 24s.

I still have the factory tires/wheels.
The color of your skin has nothing to do with bad decisions. You didn't do good research into the maximum size rim & tire combination for your vehicle and now you're seeing the results of your decision. Bigger isn't always better. Slightly smaller rims and tires than what you have now would have been a little cheaper and last longer. If the size isn't flashy enough, spend money and time elsewhere like window tint, window etching (not by shop with no warranty), lights, and or special paint job. When we see vehicles with rims obviously too large for the vehicle, sure we stare, but not in a good way. More like "oh God why would they ruin a perfectly good car like that?!".

Old 04-20-2016, 01:06 PM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
In regards to the description of the tires, the receipt says:

- 24 X 10, 5 X 120

- 255 X 30 X 24

So 255/30/24's are the tire size. Those are 30" in diameter. Stock size is 245/55/18. That diameter is 28.6" in diameter.

Your new wheels are 1" larger in diameter, so they are just physically larger in the wheel well. You are hitting your fenders when you turn and hit bumps. That's where the damage is coming from. You should go visit a body shop and get quotes on rolling the fenders slightly to clear.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:30 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Good point, now that I think about it, I remember a guy I know using a baseball bat to roll his front fenders once. You stick a bat or whatever round bar you can find that will fit between the tire and the fender and get someone to roll the car slowly as you work the bat around the fender following the tire rolling. It will smoothly bend that lip up farther and maybe slightly bow the fender out more. This is one of those things you may only get one shot at......it either goes as planned or screws your fender all up if you don't do it right. lol
Best way to roll them, along with using a heat gun to soften the paint so it won't crack:

Eastwood Fender Roller | Fender Roller Tool | Auto Fender

Old 04-20-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
Best way to roll them, along with using a heat gun to soften the paint so it won't crack:

Eastwood Fender Roller | Fender Roller Tool | Auto Fender

That is a pretty cool tool. I have never seen one but then have never needed one to be looking for such. If the OP could find a customizing shop with one of those, that would fix it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive