Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2016, 07:09 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times

Advertisements

Adriver,

I can't help but respond to threads like this... they can be hilarious!

One reason is because many people have an irrational dislike for automatic transmissions and another reason because they make claims that simply are not true.

For example, with my cars (all with automatics), I can also shift before the turns. "Nobody who has an automatic does this?" How do you know that?

I have never felt like I was not "in control" of my cars. A good driver is always in control of whatever he is driving.

I can shift BEFORE I accelerate, too. (See video.) I have posted a few times that with my '66 Dart GT V-8 and '66 Plymouth Fury (383-4 bbl) when the car was going about 25 mph in high gear, I would shift into 1st gear. Once it was in 1st gear, I would then accelerate.

And I don't believe you can "make the action faster than every automatic."

Some probably won't admit it, but both manual and automatic transmissions have their advantages and disadvantages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_qDi4UUVAg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 09:28 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,246,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
many people have an irrational dislike for automatic transmissions
There is no such thing as an irrational dislike for automatic transmissions. If you don't like them, that's entirely rational.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
There is no such thing as an irrational dislike for automatic transmissions. If you don't like them, that's entirely rational.
Not when they say things like "automatics are no fun to drive," or "they are for lazy people," or "the car is driving you; you are not driving the car."

Also the same can be said about manual transmissions... if you don't like them, that's entirely rational.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:53 PM

17,299 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Most manual drivers also end up pretty regularly driving an automatic too. Spouse's vehicle, rentals, etc. So we see both sides.

Many rejecting manuals simply don't know how to drive one. Or haven't driven one in such a long time they don't know how little effort a clutch pedal requires these days and still makes antiquated assumptions about the experience driving them in traffic.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:10 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Most manual drivers also end up pretty regularly driving an automatic too. Spouse's vehicle, rentals, etc. So we see both sides.

Many rejecting manuals simply don't know how to drive one. Or haven't driven one in such a long time they don't know how little effort a clutch pedal requires these days and still makes antiquated assumptions about the experience driving them in traffic.
You could say the same about people who assume automatics haven't changed in the past 10-15 years.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
You could say the same about people who assume automatics haven't changed in the past 10-15 years.
Good points.

There are many variables.

Even now, some automatics and better than others. Probably the same with manuals.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:18 PM

17,299 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Well I don't know about that for an enthusiast anyway. I do go out and test drive new ones. I even bought and tried to live with a DSG for awhile before I sold it to get back in a manual. Someone who can't drive a manual can't just do that.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:45 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
I don't think it makes sense to clutch/brake/gas/clutch all the time in traffic, I'd rather try to keep a steady roll and engine brake until it's absolutely necessary to push the brake pedal.
When I'm in traffic its not usually stopped. You can spot a manual driver because they are the ones who are trying to even out the slinky effect. They are not the ones speeding up because they are 20ft behind then squashing the brakes because they are 5ft behind. I can't/won't speak for anyone else, but what I do is help traffic, but

[quote=Fleet;43872024]Adriver,

I can't help but respond to threads like this... they can be hilarious!

One reason is because many people have an irrational dislike for automatic transmissions and another reason because they make claims that simply are not true.

For example, with my cars (all with automatics), I can also shift before the turns. "Nobody who has an automatic does this?" How do you know that?

I have never felt like I was not "in control" of my cars. A good driver is always in control of whatever he is driving.

I can shift BEFORE I accelerate, too. (See video.) I have posted a few times that with my '66 Dart GT V-8 and '66 Plymouth Fury (383-4 bbl) when the car was going about 25 mph in high gear, I would shift into 1st gear. Once it was in 1st gear, I would then accelerate.

And I don't believe you can "make the action faster than every automatic."

Some probably won't admit it, but both manual and automatic transmissions have their advantages and disadvantages.

Quote:
Not when they say things like "automatics are no fun to drive," or "they are for lazy people," or "the car is driving you; you are not driving the car."

Also the same can be said about manual transmissions... if you don't like them, that's entirely rational.

Why can't you help it?? IT DOESN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH YOU!!! again, go back and read the thread title. This thread is not about manual vs automatic.. This thread was the OP asking, "what makes a stick shift fun?" The OP then made several comments that are contradictory to what we all know. Its a one sided opinion thread, and you feel the need to debate what other people think is fun.

AND AGAIN; No, when I shift before turns, and before acceleration, ITS ALWAYS FASTER THAN AN AUTOMATIC, because IM ALL READY IN THE GEAR.. It doesn't matter how many seconds/miliseconds it takes for an automatic to change gears, because instantly/ALL READY THERE ...... is QUICKER.

Its about being more of a proactive driver then a reactive driver.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
Why can't you help it?? IT DOESN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH YOU!!! again, go back and read the thread title. This thread is not about manual vs automatic.. This thread was the OP asking, "what makes a stick shift fun?" The OP then made several comments that are contradictory to what we all know. Its a one sided opinion thread, and you feel the need to debate what other people think is fun.
You sure get excited! Going by the title of the thread, it's obvious that a comparison between manual and automatic will be mentioned by one or more posters.

Quote:
AND AGAIN; No, when I shift before turns, and before acceleration, ITS ALWAYS FASTER THAN AN AUTOMATIC, because IM ALL READY IN THE GEAR.. It doesn't matter how many seconds/miliseconds it takes for an automatic to change gears, because instantly/ALL READY THERE ...... is QUICKER.
As mentioned, I can also shift before turns and before acceleration. It's easy to do with an automatic (at least the automatics I drive). How do you know for sure you shift faster then an automatic? Have your driven next to someone else and made a direct comparison? Or several other drivers? And how often do you or the average driver need to shift in seconds or milliseconds? Most people drive to work and back, to the gas station and maybe stores and to visit relatives or friends or for a weekend vacation.

Quote:
Its about being more of a proactive driver then a reactive driver.
Oh, I see. Only those who drive a stick car are "proactive" drivers.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:27 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,410 times
Quote:
You sure get excited! Going by the title of the thread, it's obvious that a comparison between manual and automatic will be mentioned by one or more posters.
it was started by you. You are the only one who turned a question of opinion into a debate against what people think is fun.

Quote:
As mentioned, I can also shift before turns and before acceleration. It's easy to do with an automatic (at least the automatics I drive). How do you know for sure you shift faster then an automatic? Have your driven next to someone else and made a direct comparison? Or several other drivers? And how often do you or the average driver need to shift in seconds or milliseconds? Most people drive to work and back, to the gas station and maybe stores and to visit relatives or friends or for a weekend vacation.
You still don't get it. Its not about how long it takes me to shift, its about choosing when I want to do it. When I want to pass someone, or accelerate, I don't wait till I'm going to push harder on the gas pedal. I shift before I want to accelerate, so that in those few seconds later, when I am able to go faster, I can do it right then. ITS ABOUT BEING PROACTIVE. I think you just don't get the entire concept.

Quote:
Oh, I see. Only those who drive a stick car are "proactive" drivers.
I'm done trying to explain it to you. Just like the rest of this thread, you are being a tool, just to debate. I GUARANTEE, everyone else in this thread understands, even if you never will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive