Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 09:09 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,332,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
nice video of someone having fun in their 86 it is kind of nbeat to see one of the old T-top Stangs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qloN6ztgGo8
I love that video. Awesome how he's shifting with two hands like that. LOL

Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 06:55 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,721,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I remember the video but I would save the money find a V6 with the performance package & put an IRS on it.
If it's a '15 or later, they come with IRS standard. And no performance upgrades for the V6 save for the optional 3.55 axle. (Now if you're talking about finding a '14 or earlier, go for it.)

Quote:
Yeah, the fact that you can buy the 5.0 for the same money as the four it's not a very good buy at that point.
You can also spec out a BMW 328i to cost as much as a 535i. Model overlap happens with every automaker and it's not a big deal.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:05 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
If it's a '15 or later, they come with IRS standard. And no performance upgrades for the V6 save for the optional 3.55 axle. (Now if you're talking about finding a '14 or earlier, go for it.)

Ford is really pushing the Eco-boost. As I've said before I want to like the idea of the Eco-Boost but with the new Mustang being so heavy & the Eco-boost being under powered I can't see how anyone would want it. Ford did away with getting the V6 with the performance package which is sad because I liked the engine in the Mustang. So it would have to be a 14 or older.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Ford is really pushing the Eco-boost. As I've said before I want to like the idea of the Eco-Boost but with the new Mustang being so heavy & the Eco-boost being under powered I can't see how anyone would want it. Ford did away with getting the V6 with the performance package which is sad because I liked the engine in the Mustang. So it would have to be a 14 or older.
I don't know if it's underpowered in and of itself - it's definitely more powerful than any V6 Mustang - but many reviewers recommend ordering an Ecoboost Mustang with the 3.55 gears instead of the standard 3.31. (Full disclosure: I admittedly don't know much about gear ratios, but I do have the idea that the higher the ratio, the quicker the performance with all other things being equal).

My idea though, and I'm hoping Ford has the same idea? Since they're trying to pretend the 3.7 V6 doesn't exist anymore, I'm hoping they replace it with the 2.7 V6TT and slot it between the I4 and the V8. There's definitely a place for it.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:39 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,551,122 times
Trust me, the 2.3 ecoboost is no slouch. There is a LOT of HP on the table, the little turbo is likely one of it's biggest restrictions.

There is a video of a 501whp/464wtq 2.3 EB on stock block. Not sure how reliable 500whp would be, but sounds like 400whp are becoming common place. As far as I can tell, at those power levels the short gearing is holding it back. Anyone with any intention to modify for more HP should stick with the longer gears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4zwqAdWLvU

Old 04-27-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I don't know if it's underpowered in and of itself - it's definitely more powerful than any V6 Mustang - but many reviewers recommend ordering an Ecoboost Mustang with the 3.55 gears instead of the standard 3.31. (Full disclosure: I admittedly don't know much about gear ratios, but I do have the idea that the higher the ratio, the quicker the performance with all other things being equal).

It's only more powerful then the V6 because they de-tuned the V6. I don't think there is a big weight difference between the V8 & the turbo 4. I've seen the 4 pump out close to 500 pounds of toque. And as I said before I haven't heard anything come close to the sounds of the V8.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:16 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Yes, that is true. In general, a lower (higher numerically) axle ratio will provide faster acceleration.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:17 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Funny when they came out, we were disgusted with them. "That is supposed to be a mustang? It looks like a Monza 2+2 or a Sunbird (worst car made during that late 70s early 80s). We thought they were stupid looking. Everyone wanted later 1960s mustangs, camaros, barracudas, AMX etc etc. At least amount the gear heads in my community, the Mustang was considered the bottom of the muscle car lineup at the time.

To me it is very amusing they are now so popular. "Fox Body - are you joking?"

Old 04-28-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
It's only more powerful then the V6 because they de-tuned the V6. I don't think there is a big weight difference between the V8 & the turbo 4. I've seen the 4 pump out close to 500 pounds of toque. And as I said before I haven't heard anything come close to the sounds of the V8.
The V6 never made more than 305 hp in any application, while the 4 came out of the gates with 310 in the Mustang. *shrug*

We agree on the V8. Can't beat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yes, that is true. In general, a lower (higher numerically) axle ratio will provide faster acceleration.
Thanks for the clarification.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
The V6 never made more than 305 hp in any application, while the 4 came out of the gates with 310 in the Mustang. *shrug*

We agree on the V8. Can't beat it.

They took away the Track Pack & every other performance option for the V6. The engine now only makes 300Hp while that isn't a huge difference, when you take away things like the Track Pack, etc. The 2011 V6
did 0-60 5.1 seconds.

The 4 does it in the same time it would be faster if the Mustang weighed less then it does. So performance stats for the 4 & the 2011 V6 were close even in fuel mileage. The biggest difference I remember from the 2011 V6 was the amount of was the torque which was 280. I think the Eco-Boost is something like 300.
Again it really tends to come down the weight of the newer Mustang.

I did like the way the V6 sounded as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive