Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2016, 11:01 PM

910 posts, read 2,330,514 times

Advertisements

I was looking in Craigslist for a used car and saw a few ads from used car dealers, specifically, auto dealers who get their cars from auto auctions or auction dealers themselves that are open to the public. They seem to be selling decent used cars at low prices, but when I google map their addresses, I see a few buildings according to their addresses, but the buildings are unmarked or have a sign that doesn't show they're a car dealership, yet a bunch of cars are parked around their lot without license plates, as well as many stored inside a "warehouse" setting. Are these legit businesses or chop shops trying to recycle junk cars out? The cars look decent and the lower than market pricing make them attractive but I'm a little leery with the setting despite some of the having websites to show their inventory. And shouldn't dealers have titles of the vehicles in their names or the previous owner? I'm not sure how they do paperwork in those settings compared to the fancy dealerships where they have a business office to do all the paperwork. Has anyone had experience with buying a car direct from an auction warehouse? How did it go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 05:44 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,110,670 times
In my experience, most of the cars at these types of places are cheap because they have accident history, flood history, branded titles, etc. history. They are the cars that more reputable ("fancy" in your words) dealers don't want on their lots. If the reputable dealers are buying cars at an auction for their lots, they are usually going to places like Manheim.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:03 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
It might depend on your state. Here in Maryland auto auctions are open to the public. I know a couple guys who buy cars at them. One has had pretty good luck, the other not so much.

You have to know what you're doing and what you're looking at as well as having either the personal abilities to work on them or a wallet large enough for someone else to.

As mentioned, you might get flood cars, or repos, or recovered stolen cars or one seized by law enforcement (although those are usually auctioned by the police agency rather than a general auction place).

Old 04-21-2016, 06:03 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
I've been to those public auctions many times, most of the cars have very high miles and mechanical problems, some are terribly filthy inside. It's pretty much the cars that dealers reject.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:51 AM

910 posts, read 2,330,514 times
Thanks for the responses. I'm not as concerned about the cosmetic and cleanliness of the vehicles, that could be fixed, just mainly any major hidden mechanical issues and if the paperwork is legit, like the title, etc. because if the car is a repo or stolen, I don't want any problems after paying for the vehicle. In a google search, someone mentioned hidden fees or buyer's premium for public buyers (non-auctioneers)? But I saw one that's selling vehicles with just a little over 100,000 miles (that's relatively low these days), for less than market rate. I know dealers get these cars from auctions really cheap, just hard to believe they'd be selling vehicles with just a slightly higher markup.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:16 AM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Look, simply stay away from them.
You always get what you paid for.
Period.
They sell them cheap-er because they got them cheap.
Cheap is never good. Never. It's common sense.
Tame the greed and get reasonable deal from a private party. Or, it will cost you arm and leg later in repairs.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:19 AM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Do this. Find a local dealer who will buy a car for you at closed auction. Plenty of them charge like a nominal fee, around $200, for service like this. Give man your budget and requirements. He WILL know what to do and what to look at. You - not so much. That is the safest way to do auctions. Also, it takes LONG time to find a gem, as auctions are well established feeding grounds for thousands of folks that flip cars.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:34 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
I was looking in Craigslist for a used car and saw a few ads from used car dealers, specifically, auto dealers who get their cars from auto auctions or auction dealers themselves that are open to the public. They seem to be selling decent used cars at low prices, but when I google map their addresses, I see a few buildings according to their addresses, but the buildings are unmarked or have a sign that doesn't show they're a car dealership, yet a bunch of cars are parked around their lot without license plates, as well as many stored inside a "warehouse" setting. Are these legit businesses or chop shops trying to recycle junk cars out? The cars look decent and the lower than market pricing make them attractive but I'm a little leery with the setting despite some of the having websites to show their inventory. And shouldn't dealers have titles of the vehicles in their names or the previous owner? I'm not sure how they do paperwork in those settings compared to the fancy dealerships where they have a business office to do all the paperwork. Has anyone had experience with buying a car direct from an auction warehouse? How did it go?
If you have to ask how it works to buy a car from an auction you should not risk it.

Don in Austin

Old 04-22-2016, 10:01 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
The one I used to go to had a traffic light hanging over the auction floor....

Red light = Anything under $1k, buyer beware, AS-IS
Yellow light = Seller discloses known mechanical problems, listen carefully before bidding.
Green light = No known major problems, you must take any problems to the arbitrator within 24 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive