Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 09:09 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times

Advertisements

Here in extremely liberal southern Calif. where every 5th car is a Prius it's because their religion is the environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 09:12 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,362 times
Lower gas prices will rise this summer. More importantly, they will not turn down next fall; beyond that, gas prices are likely to increase.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:02 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Here in extremely liberal southern Calif. where every 5th car is a Prius it's because their religion is the environment.
It could have to do with wanting to save money esp considering that price of fuel in California.

It’s pathetic that majority conservatives don’t consider saving money and resources as a good thing.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:03 AM

76 posts, read 125,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia775 View Post
I doubt anybody actually did the breakeven calculator before buying a hybrid because if they did, they would have known that it's more fiscally sound to keep their old car... not even factoring the environmental costs of producing these green vehicles
I agree. I highly doubt people do a breakdown of costs. They either think, "better gas mileage = lower fuel costs" or "electric/hybrid = environmentally friendly".

Neither of which is a necessarily true statement.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:37 AM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Interesting, NCole . . .

I am neither For or Against Hybrids, however, from my very limited experience via friends and neighbors, anyone planning to keep and drive a Hybrid for more than a few years . . . BEWARE, Battery Replacement can be a real shocker.

Also, the "Greenies" rarely address the Battery Disposal Issue.
I will respectfully disagree. Prius batteries have been tested to last well over 200K miles. Consumer Reports tested a 206K, 2002 Prius and found it's performance to be pretty much the same as when it was a few months old. When a battery finally goes, most will not get a new battery but will look for a newer, used pack.

As for disposal, the batteries are recycled due to a number of reasons. When a battery gets below 80% capacity, it it no longer suitable for automotive use. But they are used to store energy at green power generation sites and that old Leaf battery may someday be sitting in a power cell inside your house to store your solar power. Further, the battery packs are sought out by recycling companies as they contain valuable metals. Lastly, Toyota offers a $200 bounty for every Prius battery pack turned in to help ensure the batteries are not simply dumped.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:57 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I think the buyers want to be green, but all the electric car does is to move the pollution to a different location. They aren't any better ecologically speaking that a gasoline car.
The power plants will produce the same pollution whether there's an EV charging from it or not. And the power plants are constantly getting CLEANER as regulations and changes in the grid are made, while gas engine cars are constantly getting DIRTIER as they age.

The level of pollution generated solely by EVs is infinitesimal compared to gassers. And let's not forget smog in cities. Gassers contribnute heavily to that, while EVs do not. Unless people are building coal power plants in downtown areas now...

Old 04-23-2016, 11:41 AM

294 posts, read 337,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
There's actually quite a few conservative Prius owners... just saying
It's not the liberal car of choice per se

Old 04-23-2016, 11:48 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
I was considering a Toyota Camry Hybrid. I liked it because it had excellent torque and also because it came with some features that I wanted that were only available in the hybrid. I did the break even against the V6 and it was 45,000 miles when gas prices were high. Let's say it's 90,000 miles now for break even of the hybrid. But it still had some features that were only avail on the hybrid. At this point I don't remember what the features were but the were important features to me and aided in decision making.

Ends up I bought something else that wasn't a Toyota or a hybrid because the dealer didn't come down enough on the price for the Camry at the time.

Yes, I also considered the need for a future battery. Buyers aren't all dumb. We weigh pros and cons on many different things before making a purchase. Also factor in handling, looks, utility, horsepower, future resale value, safety, available colors and options, premium or regular fuel, trim, reliability, etc.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:25 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times
I buy them because I like they way they drive and what I get in return. I do not calculate pennies I have saved and do not give a damn. Every time I see talk about "break even" cracks me up. Drive them and feel the difference. I am pretty sure pure electric will even be better but they have to come down in price before I try them.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:39 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
People don't buy hybrids to save money. They buy them for the image. If they wanted to save money, the'd buy a compact like a Corolla or something.

They're like Hummers H2s. No one bought them to tow, carry lots of stuff or go off road, they were just about the image.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive