Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 12:43 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,367,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
It could have to do with wanting to save money esp considering that price of fuel in California.

It’s pathetic that majority conservatives don’t consider saving money and resources as a good thing.
Its pathetic that liberals think buying a hybrid saves money or the environment. People buy hybrids to make a statement about how eco friendly they are, not because it saves money and certainly not because they care about driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 12:45 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
I'm buying the new Tesla Roadster after it depreciates a bit. Not because of all the eco BS, but because the Model S can go 0 to 60 in 2.8 seconds and I expect the new Roadster to be slightly faster. Those are free fall gravitational forces.
They're making a new roadster?
When's this coming out?

Old 04-23-2016, 12:49 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Its pathetic that liberals think buying a hybrid saves money or the environment. People buy hybrids to make a statement about how eco friendly they are, not because it saves money and certainly not because they care about driving.
Well, to be fair, some people buy them (and cars like Tesla) because they want to contribute and be part of some leading edge in technology.

Me? I drive a twin turbo V8 sports car and a big 4 wheel drive SUV. And I usually still spend less than $100 a month on gas.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:04 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times
Quote:
So what should a liberal buy? So what should a conservative buy?

I'm all about freedom of choice, but don't come back with belly aching when gas jumps up .05 cents, because than you're no better than a liberal that does not believe in the free market.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:30 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
I don't know what liberals think about hybrids. But this conservative bought one because I would rather pay the premium up front and then enjoy years of lower operating costs (due to improved fuel economy). I also enjoy the quiet ride that my Camry Hybrid gives me. Oh, and I believe it was the only Camry that came with dual climate control, which is a feature I really wanted because my wife and I have different tolerances for heat and cold.

Honestly, I don't know that the breakeven is, nor do I care. I bought the car that best suited my own needs and wants, within my price range.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:57 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,973,115 times
Gas will go up again at some point.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:02 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
People don't buy hybrids to save money. They buy them for the image. If they wanted to save money, the'd buy a compact like a Corolla or something.

They're like Hummers H2s. No one bought them to tow, carry lots of stuff or go off road, they were just about the image.
Quote:
... People buy hybrids to make a statement about how eco friendly they are, not because it saves money and certainly not because they care about driving.
I bought a Prius to save money. With my current job I drive 30K+ miles per year, and I was getting tired and broke from fueling and repairing my old F260 PSD. It was like getting a raise! I immediately started saving $500 per month in fuel costs and more than double that in maintenance and repair expenses.

If it cleans up the air a little, great, but that had zero weight in my decision to buy a hybrid.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:02 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,242,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia775 View Post
There's actually quite a few conservative Prius owners... just saying
It's not the liberal car of choice per se

My parents are conservative Glenn Beck listening folks. They have 2 Prii they bought used...so they don't have to pay as much taxes as well as the low operating costs.

The price differential is shrinking as well. The RAV4 hybrid is just $700 more than the non-hybrid version.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:18 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
I don't see the point in hybrids right now, unless maybe you live in an urban area with lots of stop and go driving. The regular gas powered Accords and Sonata ECO are getting around 38mpg highway, I think the new Cruze gets 40mpg.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:20 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,207,011 times
Diesel is cheap too. Outside of phenomenal economy there are other things I like about my diesel. Such as a long range, torque, I can drive a long long way with an inoperative alternator, 10k + oil changes, and its a manual.

What side benifits do hybrid owners get when fuel is cheap?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive