Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 07:18 AM

62 posts, read 50,017 times

Advertisements

[quote=Rivertowntalk;43837549]So, the light is on, as mentioned in your original post, but you did not mention if the van is actually is running poorly. Does it actually have symptoms of a misfire, or is the light just on? What were the results of the compression test? Is it for certain losing compression in cylinder number 4? Has it overheated recently? If it happened to be a bad head gasket, I would fix it. If there is damage to the cylinder, I would want to know more about what that and why there is damage.[

She does not run poorly. During the summer months we do a lot of driving in it , and never has she failed us. The only time we had a problem with her was when the fuel pump gave up and the van wouldn't turn on , but once we replaced it she was back up and running.

According to the mechanic the piston is filling with oil and that is what is causing a misfire. I am sorry if that's that not enough information but that is what I understood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 08:34 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
Years ago in the boating industry I learned about doing a leak down test .
this is a regulated pressure applied to a cylinder that in the compression stroke stationary.
The rate of leak and listening to where the leak is coming from, tells you exactly where the failure is .
Compression tests are inconclusive and poor by comparison.
Find some one that actually knows how to do the leak don test .
Excessive air coming from the breather the rings and cylinder are damaged .
Air coming from the tail pipe the exhaust valve is leaking.
air coming from the carb /intake ,the intake valve is leaking .
air coming through the radiator(cap off) blown head gasket.
This test requires a leak down test tool and a real air compressor 4 CFM or better@100 PSI .
20% leak down is not bad , actually some what normal.
30% normal wear.
40% some serious issues generating.
50% or better the damage is extensive .

Something was mentioned about oil in the cylinder( unless some one put oil in the cylinder to try and increase the compression on that test) , it's possible that the valve seals are leaking after the engine shuts down.
But if there no smoking at acceleration from deceleration it's not the valve seals necessarily.
You might also find dealer mechanic and ask if there are some typical problems that engine had .

Old 04-26-2016, 08:43 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Sell it at one of those Tiny House auctions. If it's a conversion van you should be able to stand up in it. That's more than I can say about those 'Capsule Hotels" of which there was a thread on yesterday....

But seriously, I would do some more engine investigation, if it is running well it would be worth fixing (and if it had a true misfire, you would know as the van would bounce around under load - you would be able to hear it straining).

Old 04-26-2016, 09:02 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,382 times
You've taken it to 2 different independent mechanics that both gave you the same opinion. The KBB value for a 7-8 passenger express van (not a conversion) for sale to a private party is about $4500, yours is a conversion van so it could be worth a little more, depending on condition. (and gas prices). So it's worth putting an engine in it, considering you got the van free. If the body and interior is in good condition, GM used to sell "target" engines, which were NEW replacement engines, if that's what you're quoted for the $3000, considering the low mileage, I'd get it done if it were mine.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:56 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
I'd get it fixed if I could afford it. That vehicle will go another 15 years....Easy....

Old 04-26-2016, 11:31 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,470,998 times
the car has been running fine for 2 years with a damaged piston? I would think that would cause a catastrophic failure right away...

Old 04-26-2016, 11:53 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Today, it is worth nothing. No one will buy it.

3K sounds high. I think I could put a rebuilt engine in it for less than that. I KNOW I could in my vehicle in my area. Check with a local engine rebuilder.

So if you fix the engine will you get your money back? In other words, will it sell for less than 3K or more than 3K?

The answer to that question is the answer to your question.

The axiom, "Don't put more money into it than it is worth", only applies some of the time.
A car that doesn't run is worth zero. If it takes 500$ to make the car serviceable, and then the car is worth $1500, then it makes sense to fix it.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:53 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,070,413 times
What is the cost to replace it?

If the $3000 hit is the only non-routine money (routine being oil, brakes, tires, muffler, etc.) that you know it needs now and you want a conversion van, seems like an easy call to make for something that was free.

Get it thoroughly checked to make sure the transmission is fine, the steering rack is good, etc. You just put struts in.

As is, you can junk it or fix it. So to me, the real questions are:

"Do I want a conversion van?"

followed by,

"If yes, do I want *this* one; if no, do I need to replace it and at what cost?"

Old 04-26-2016, 04:05 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,323,229 times
Quote:
We decided to go to a different mechanic and he is giving us the same diagnosis. I need to get this light to go away because I won't pass inspection.

Both mechanics say it will cost roughly 3000 to fix this.

If the mechanics are with the dealership, try an independent one.

If you told the 2nd mechanic what the 1st said, definitely get an opinion from a 3rd mechanic.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:27 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
15 year old van needing motor? i'd say the vehicle has the potential to be a money pit even if you do put in the $3K repairs, hows the tires,transmission,cooling system,exhaust system,all the electrics?
If at the moment the only indicator of a problem is a check engine light i'd just put a piece of tape over that light and forget about it and drive the vehicle till it gives up the ghost..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive