Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 02:45 PM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Highway racing is not only dangerous to the participants it also puts the general public in danger who happen to be on the same highway.

People who condone it deserve to be called out for applauding those acts of stupidity.

You also deserve every single traffic ticket you get if you happen to be one of the participants. If you happen to be one of those who loses control and maims of kills somebody you also deserve what you get.
I agree.

That's why it takes more balls to roll race on the highway. Thanks sir !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 03:00 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Back in the day (late 1950s) we didn't call it "roll racing", it was "doing the flying mile".
We hit the start side by side at the agreed on speed (often 35 or 40 MPH), and whoever hit the one mile marker first was the winner.
Back then I was driving a 1941 Buick, straight 8 with factory dual carbs and three-on-the-tree transmission. A guy who had a souped up Chevy was always pestering me to run the quarter mile, but I would not do it because the neutral gate on that three-on-the-tree was so wide it was impossible to speed shift it. Finally, I agreed to run the quarter if he would run a flying mile after he won the quarter. He did win the quarter mile, then refused to run the flying mile. I guess he was afraid that ol' Buick would run away from his Chevy. It just might have done so. Might have.
Ennyhoo, road racing, whether the quarter mile or the flying mile, goes back to at least the 1950s, probably back to the '40s or '30s!
It wasn't real smart then, and it still isn't!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive