Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 09:08 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qingguy View Post
Tire Pros seems to be a reputable company.
I don't recommend that you have engine work like this done at a tire shop.
However, no matter where you have the work done, please be sure that, in addition to the timing belt itself, you also have the serpentine belt and ALL belt tensioners replaced at the same time, and it is an extremely good idea to have the water pump replaced at the same time as well. Inspecting the hoses and replacing them if needed is also a good idea.

If you don't understand why I have recommended these other items, please post back, and I will elaborate.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 09:43 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Another caution for the OP and his daughter:

There have been several recommendations about having the car towed, and I hope that the OP doesn't take that suggestion literally.
While the engine shouldn't be started, and the car shouldn't be driven, it also shouldn't be towed.

Instead, it needs to be transported on a flat-bed auto transporter.
If it is towed, EXTREMELY expensive damage to the AWD system (and possibly to the transmission) will be the result.

Excellent advice, Retriever . . .

Nowadays, the term "Tow Truck" is quite often misused which could be both dangerous and expensive.

In this case . . . nothing but a Flat Bed Auto Transport.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:47 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Excellent advice, Retriever . . .

Nowadays, the term "Tow Truck" is quite often misused which could be both dangerous and expensive.

In this case . . . nothing but a Flat Bed Auto Transport.
As I stated in post #18 it can be "towed" with a conventional wrecker with dollies, a flat bed isn't required.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:07 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Yeah, get that fixed yesterday. If it snaps, your $850 estimate will become a $4000 estimate for a new engine. That's a good price for the work.

As for the work they quoted. replacing the water pump is done when the timing belt is replaced because the water pump is usually driven by the belt. Since you've already got it apart and the belt removed, it's just a few more bolts to take off. The thermostat should be replaced anytime you install a new water pump and it's only a few dollars. Hoses are another thing you may as well replace when your replacing everything else. Again, quick and easy to replace and fairly cheap.
Isnt that only if its an interference engine?

Old 04-29-2016, 10:15 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Isnt that only if its an interference engine?
Yes, and all Subaru engines from 1997+ are interference engines.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:41 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,476,268 times
My timing belt snapped suddenly once. It cost me a new engine when the old one seized. DO NOT neglect the timing belt. She should not even be driving that car (if she still is) until that problem is resolved.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:13 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Thanks to all, I really appreciate it, sucks having her away from home and not able to be there to help her. Makes me feel good that the shop isn't trying to take advantage of a 20 year old college student away from home.

So while they're in there have all the hoses changed?

Thanks again!
I hope if all goes well and the job is well done that she'll take the time to give that shop a little blurb on social media, if they do the job right at a decent price they'll deserve it.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:47 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
Quote:
It's a 2004 Subaru Outback AWD, 125,000 miles, not sure on the engine. It's the model with leather etc.

I agree with the cheap insurance, I want to take care of as much as I can while they're in there vs. her breaking down somewhere. The cars been a great car, got it for her when she turned 16 and other than oil changes and tune-ups haven't had to do anything to it. Probably should have done the timing belt at 100K anyway but didn't think of it.
Don't drive it! When that timing chain actually breaks (and it will VERY soon) you're looking at a few thou to replace piston heads and shafts. Tell her to get it fixed NOW and DO NOT DRIVE IT! She's lucky. Usually those chains just break and the shafts and heads just get destroyed - sometimes irreplaceable. DON'T DRIVE IT!

Old 04-29-2016, 03:11 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,334,327 times
Quote:
It's a 2004 Subaru Outback AWD, 125,000 miles, not sure on the engine. It's the model with leather etc.
The timing belt should have been replaced according to the maintenance schedule for that car 20k miles ago. She is very lucky that they caught it in time. Transmissions and timing belts are the most neglected items are cars these days.

Old 04-29-2016, 03:44 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Don't drive it! When that timing chain actually breaks (and it will VERY soon) you're looking at a few thou to replace piston heads and shafts. Tell her to get it fixed NOW and DO NOT DRIVE IT! She's lucky. Usually those chains just break and the shafts and heads just get destroyed - sometimes irreplaceable. DON'T DRIVE IT!
It has a timing belt, not a timing chain.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive