Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 03:36 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellysbelly View Post
Thank you SO much for this advice-- as it turns out my '04 Toyota Sequoia needs a new timing belt within the next 5K miles and I just called my local Toyota dealership and it was less HALF the price of my local (and usually reasonably priced!) mechanic. $429 vs $950-- thanks, again!

You are very welcome, elly!

I wasn't aware that Toyota dealerships are also cheaper when it comes to timing belt jobs. Unlike a lot of people in this forum, I will only state information that I know to be factual, and--while I knew on a factual basis that Honda and Subaru dealers are almost always cheaper for this type of service, as compared to indy garages--I did not previously know that Toyota dealerships are also customer-friendly in the same manner.

So, for those forum members whose mantra is...Independent mechanics are always cheaper than dealership service departments...I offer this evidence that "always cheaper" is not necessarily an accurate way of describing the difference in cost between indy mechanics and dealership service departments...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 03:38 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,039,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Isn't there a booklet titled Subaru Maintenance Schedule sitting in the glove compartment?
If so, did you ever look at it?

Since you have clearly ignored that part of the maintenance schedule, this is a very good time to review the maintenance schedule in order to see what other types of maintenance you have failed to do on the basis of either elapsed time or odometer mileage.

Quote:
Yes, you are correct.
However, because the OP has been pretty much clueless regarding the car's maintenance, I am going to assume that he may also be clueless regarding the ban on towing for an AWD vehicle like this.

If he and his daughter are sent a conventional tow truck when they call for a tow, and if they don't know enough to reject a conventional tow, they are just going to dig a much deeper financial hole for themselves.

Maybe tone it down a bit. You come across like a real jerk insulting the OP. I do it sometimes too so not picking on you.

Tone and the way something is said has a lot to do with how things are interpreted and that's all voided on forums like this.

Quote:
Another caution for the OP and his daughter:

There have been several recommendations about having the car towed, and I hope that the OP doesn't take that suggestion literally.
While the engine shouldn't be started, and the car shouldn't be driven, it also shouldn't be towed.

Instead, it needs to be transported on a flat-bed auto transporter.
If it is towed, EXTREMELY expensive damage to the AWD system (and possibly to the transmission) will be the result.

The towing company is responsible for properly moving a vehicle. Besides almost all wreckers these days are gonna show up with a flat bed. Even if they they show up with a wheel lift they can still tow an AWD if they put down dollys.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:55 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
Sounds like a good outcome, despite the overwhelming volume of advice . (Surprisingly consistent...)

Just curious if the OP thinks he got a better deal on the tow/repair because of the personal connection mentioned in the OP?

Old 05-03-2016, 09:23 AM

698 posts, read 986,216 times
Well I haven't received the final bill yet so I cannot say for sure but on the surface yes I got a better deal. Even with the cost of renting the dolly, buying a come along and fuel I'm ahead about $100. Where I think I'm definitely ahead is peace of mind; a friend is involved and not going to let me get screwed AND it's being repaired at a dealership service center. Nothing against the independent shop but how many of these will they do in a month/year vs. the dealership service center?

So overall I feel like I'm ahead.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:33 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
It really depends upon the independent shop and whether or not the cost is worth it. For example, with Volvo, I use a mechanic who is an expert in his field and is far ahead of the service departments that I've had to deal with, where price is not the only concern. That shop knows the car, and will know what is needed, and when, so I trust them if they say it needs to be done, so be it. They have maintained Volvos for three generations of my family, without fail, so there's a long-term relationship established, and the shop doesn't even advertise as they have significant business to keep the mechanics and techs busy.

I do use service departments when necessary, but I will not use tire shops and the like, aside from work within their field, such as alignments, since the repairs are suspect at best, and some try to terrify customers into work that is recommended, but not required, such as the old "I can't legally let you drive out of here with brakes in that condition." nonsense.

It's always better to have a friend in the business who can help you, and even if it cost you more qingguy, it would be worth it for that piece of mind alone. I once picked up a vehicle from a high-end dealership, where they forgot to properly fix part of the car, so imagine their expression when it came back on a flatbed an hour later because it had ceased to continue under its own power and had damage from their lack of complete repair. So, having someone who can guide you, and advise on the repair, looking out for your interests is definitely worth the price.

Timing belts are a commodity, and usually when the car needs one, there is other service that the dealership can recommend, so they are willing to take a loss on that because they can usually make it up in other repairs, once the car is in their service bay. Sure, some customers don't go for the extras, but I know many who do, including someone who panics if they are told their brakes are at about 75%, believing that imminent failure will occur, not remembering that it took her two years to get to 75% remaining brake life.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-06-2016, 01:25 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
Quote:
It has a timing belt, not a timing chain.

Same thing. It drives the movement of the pistons in proper order. They used to be chains. I guess now they're belts.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:08 PM

58 posts, read 59,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Same thing. It drives the movement of the pistons in proper order. They used to be chains. I guess now they're belts.
Not the same thing at all and it is an important distinction - you will almost never have a problem with a timing chain, wheras as many have said in this topic, if the belt breaks there is a pretty good chance you are in for a new engine.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:24 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
Quote:
... synchronizing (connecting) the camshaft and crankshaft, to control opening and closing of i/o valves in synch with piston movement.

It uses piston/crankshaft rotation power to drive/time the camshaft(s)/valves.

Old 05-08-2016, 06:44 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Same thing. It drives the movement of the pistons in proper order.
No!
The crankshaft "drives" the movement of the pistons, and unless the crankshaft breaks, those pistons will ALWAYS move in the same order. A timing belt or timing chain has no bearing on this mechanical function.

What can vary to a considerable extent is how the movement of the valves coordinates with the movement of the pistons, and that action is controlled by the timing belt/chain. If the valve action is "off", it is very possible to have pistons and valves colliding, that that is potentially VERY expensive.

As to "I guess they're belts", for many years smaller engines (particularly foreign engines) relied on timing belts, but as more and more customers complained about the cost of replacing the belts and/or mechanical problems resulting from those belts, many manufacturers have begun to change back to timing chains when they redesign their engines.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:24 AM

5,674 posts, read 5,885,028 times
Quote:
No!
The crankshaft "drives" the movement of the pistons, and unless the crankshaft breaks, those pistons will ALWAYS move in the same order.

Actually, the force applied to the top of the piston(s) by exploding gases drives the piston down, which rotates the crankshaft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive