Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 08:58 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,200,641 times

Advertisements

It is impossible to tell which is the correct way to go without hearing both sides of the story. You have listed some good rationale, but without your husband explaining his reasoning, it cannot be determined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 09:52 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
And at the end of the lease what do you have? Nothing, you leased (rented) the car, then you turn it in back to the owner...

But you will pay for the dents when you turn the vehicle back in. Read your lease...

If you can drive without crashing, liability is all you need.

Carefully read over these:
Avoiding auto lease horror stories - MarketWatch
Auto-Facts.org Brings You a New Car Lease Horror Story
Leasing a car? Then don't be as stupid as I was. | The Lease Guy
Do you realize the "lease" is factored on the depreciation of the vehicle? So whether you pay cash, make payments or lease the car is going to lose the same amount in depreciation?

Buy a 20K car and it is worth 10K after 3 years. You lost 10,000 any way you slice it.

Leasing isn't evil folks, it is simply math.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:10 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
You're fighting a pointless battle.

Math doesn't matter. Lease = bad, the end. Never mind that it's functionally exactly the same as financing a car, the only difference being that you know from the beginning exactly how much it'll be worth in 2/3/whatever years.

Last edited by i7pXFLbhE3gq; 04-30-2016 at 10:19 AM..

Old 04-30-2016, 11:10 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Do you realize the "lease" is factored on the depreciation of the vehicle? So whether you pay cash, make payments or lease the car is going to lose the same amount in depreciation?

Good idea... So maybe I should lease my TV, Microwave, Stove, Lawn Mower. Heck, why not just lease my house with all the appliances. Certainly something to consider, ain't it

Old 04-30-2016, 11:27 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
It is impossible to tell which is the correct way to go without hearing both sides of the story. You have listed some good rationale, but without your husband explaining his reasoning, it cannot be determined.
Exactly right.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:27 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Why would you pay to terminate a lease, assuming you cannot get someone to sub-lease, and have no equity in the vehicle, to buy a used car? That would effectively raise the price of the used car above market, and with liability only, you have no recourse if your vehicle is totaled. $220/mo. is a fixed transportation cost, whereas your beater car will have ongoing maintenance and repair costs that could greatly exceed that figure. It makes no sense to pay to get out of a fixed price contract to purchase outright a lesser vehicle with no warranty and diminished insurance coverage. And, with the fixed cost, you have a modern vehicle with safety features, a warranty, and reliability, not bad for the expenditure when you think about it.

And, many times, dealers will overlook minor dings upon return, and get the paintless dent repair guy to take care of the car, provided you are buying/leasing from them again -- it's all up for negotiation. I know someone who brought in a battered, from Manhattan street parking, BMW 3-series, and they were not fined, since they negotiated a lease on a new vehicle.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-30-2016, 11:38 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Good idea... So maybe I should lease my TV, Microwave, Stove, Lawn Mower. Heck, why not just lease my house with all the appliances. Certainly something to consider, ain't it
Some people don't realize that an automobile "leasing" company is a business. Dents, torn seats, interior damage and things like that are not normal wear, therefore these aren't considered normal depreciation.

Leasing versus owning is clearly explained here:
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0193143.html

Last edited by RayinAK; 04-30-2016 at 11:55 AM..

Old 04-30-2016, 12:22 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Some people don't realize that an automobile "leasing" company is a business. Dents, torn seats, interior damage and things like that are not normal wear, therefore these aren't considered normal depreciation.

Leasing versus owning is clearly explained here:
Leasing versus Buying That New Car
You might be surprised to discover that people aren't nearly that stupid.

It's made abundantly clear up front that if you return the car at the end of the lease, you'll have to pay for anything that isn't normal wear and tear. That obviously includes things like returning it all smashed up, with ripped seats, reeking of cigarettes, etc.
Quote:
Fun fact, if you go to a John Deere dealer, they'll be happy to lease equipment to you...

And millions of people do, in fact, lease their house with all the appliances. Although unlike a car lease, that generally does not come with the option to buy at the end.

I really have no idea what argument, if any, you're actually trying to make. Did you just feel the need to post some worthless, sarcastic non-response to the post?

There is no One True Way to get what you want/need. If leasing makes sense for a particular item, then lease it. If financing makes more sense, do that. If paying cash makes the most sense for something, do that.

This one size fits all nonsense does nothing but display financial extremism driven by ignorance.

Last edited by i7pXFLbhE3gq; 04-30-2016 at 12:37 PM..

Old 04-30-2016, 07:34 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyk4 View Post
I have a nice leased car I pay $220 a month. It's reliable and we also have good insurance with State Farm.
$220 per month for how many years? Then how much when you return it? And how much do you pay State Farm? If your car malfunctions, do you pay for repairs? How many miles does it have? What make, model, and year? Did State Farm pay to have the dents repaired?

Old 05-02-2016, 10:11 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyk4 View Post
I have a nice leased car I pay $220 a month. It's reliable and we also have good insurance with State Farm. I got 2 dents in the car and found out our insurance won't go up....still my husband is saying we are terminating the lease and I need to get a cheap used car and also drop insurance except for liability. So it's cheaper to get and unreliable car that I would spend money fixing, and or could break down completely, risk not getting to work, not having enough coverage etc....Isn't that warped logic?
He's being obtuse and trying to "punish" you. Or something. Or maybe you are a horrible driver and belong in a beater. I don't know. His logic isn't warped any more than leasing a car is warped logic. There are many right ways of doing it.

Has your husband looked at what it will cost to "terminate the lease?" You can't just say, "ok, I'm done." You have to either sell the car at an amount equal to or greater than the buyout, or stroke a check for the buyout and sell it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive