Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 08:56 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
I wouldn't compare the 1.6 Kia or the Hyundai Veloster to the GTI. The new GTI would utterly destroy that car, especially with a simple tune. I believe the GTI can make over 300whp with a tune alone.

It would be a step down in my opinion in terms of performance.
Agree, in a race the GTI would easily win. However not everyone is able to go racing. The average person in this segment mostly uses these vehicles as a fun daily driver. Hot hatches of the racing variety tend to have a rough ride. If a daily driver, a slightly slower but more comfortable ride would be a better choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 09:01 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Believe me, I know the feeling. Like I said, I work in the industry and also have a bit of a passionate streak when it comes to these things.Aha, and therein lies the rub - the R is perfect for you while the RS may definitely be a bit over the top.

That's exactly what I wrote in my first post - the VWs are much more "adult". That said, and while it's purely anecdotal, I know a number of 50+ people who drive STs and are more than happy with them.

I had looked into the ST a while back & while I did like it & it was very fast & handled great instant turn in.
I liked the 5-door GTI better no it wasn't as fast but it had more refinement about it any of these cars mentioned are fast enough to get you into trouble. The inside felt like you got more for your money then you did the ST. And I personally like the more mature look of the GTI/Golf R.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:02 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
I had an Mk6 GTI Autobahn. Beautiful interior. Nice options. Crap reliability. Constant electrical gremlins after 80k. Wouldn't do it again.

Stick with Honda or Toyota.
For a hot hatch?

Old 05-01-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The question is: "Do you feel lucky?" about whether you got a good VW or a bad one because the bad ones and endless money pits of suck.

Is it luck or that the person they take the car to know what they are doing? Many people also do the work themselves.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:10 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I had looked into the ST a while back & while I did like it & it was very fast & handled great instant turn in.
I liked the 5-door GTI better no it wasn't as fast but it had more refinement about it any of these cars mentioned are fast enough to get you into trouble. The inside felt like you got more for your money then you did the ST. And I personally like the more mature look of the GTI/Golf R.
Ding-ding-ding. You, sir, are the poster child for my post on Page 1.

If I wasn't working for Ford, I cannot say with 100% certainty that I would be driving the Focus ST in the sub-$30K segment. In that hypothetical scenario, it would depend largely on how much money I would be making and how large my student debt was. If I was in the same income/debt situation as today, I'd probably get a used WRX (either a unicorn '06-07 or a post '09 one with 265 HP). If I wanted new, I'd look at a Fiesta ST or an Abarth.

(I would definitely be driving the RS in the sub/circa-$40K band, though, if that's what I was shopping for, but I've had a soft spot for the RS waaaaaay before I ever knew working for the Blue Oval was a possibility - in fact, I am still chafing about the fact we never got the C307 MkII.)

Old 05-01-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:

If I wanted new, I'd look at a Fiesta ST or an Abarth.

I didn't like the Abarth. It felt like I was sitting to high or on top of it. However I LOVED the sounds it made, but it didn't win me over. IF I was going to buy used it would be a 5 door GTI. I driver a Mini cooper S but it felt heavy to me compared to the cars mentioned above. IF you can fine a 5 door WRX that would be sweet as well. Damn things hold their value very well.

Europe has SO many awesome cars over there it's a shame we'll never get them here.

Like this one the Alfa Romeo Brea S. I'm not sure what engine is it in but my Gods it is BEAUTIFUL!

Old 05-01-2016, 09:46 PM

Here it is finally...
Attached Thumbnails
GTI Alternative-alfa-romeo-brera-gesehen-am-06112012  

Old 05-02-2016, 01:38 AM

17,303 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Quote:
Ding-ding-ding. You, sir, are the poster child for my post on Page 1.
Yeah, as my wife said of both the Forte and the Golf/GTI. "This one doesn't look like the interior was designed by a 14 year old boy"...like the Focus ST.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:05 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,242,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Yet, there are MANY people who have had Vw's with twice that mileage on their cars.
I never said you couldn't get twice that mileage out of a VW. You could get 1,000,000 miles out of a GTI if you wanted to.

It's just going to cost you a lot more money and headache than it will for something more reliable.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:13 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,242,437 times
Quote:
For a hot hatch?
I suppose the Civic Si Coupe is technically a hatchback, though it doesn't have the cargo capacity that the GTI does. I agree, there aren't many good options other than the GTI.

If you're willing to put the money into it, or if you're not putting many miles on it, go for the GTI. When things are going well, it's an awesome car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive