Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 01:23 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
In practice, traffic offenses are processed by the courts in the same manner as infractions that could not possibly have someone arrested. Also, while I'm sure it does exist somewhere, I am unaware of laws in which basic traffic offenses such as simple speeding (up to the point at which it is considered reckless), ignoring traffic control devices, improper signaling, unregistered/uninspected, etc., are grounds for arrest. I doubt such statutes exist in abundance. My original comment was to stress that for the purposes of this discussion it is inaccurate to lump traffic offences in with what in my opinion are TRUE crimes, such as common law offenses (murder, rape, larceny, etc.) Obviously, this is not to say you cannot commit a crime while operating a motor vehicle.
You can be arrested for any offense, at officer discretion, although most departments have the policy to issue citations except for a handful of offenses. All are processed in criminal court where, even for citations, a bench warrant can be issued for your arrest if you don't show up or pay the fine. If you don't show for a civil court date, at worst you lose the case.

Nobody was comparing speeding with rape. There is a wide range of criminal offenses and the fact that some offenses are minor and some are major doesn't change the fact that they fall under criminal code. You clearly labeled theft as criminal, yet by your own logic how can that be when it is inaccurate to lump petty thieves in with "true" criminals who rape and murder people?

My point was that your pompous declaration that traffic offenses are CIVIL is just not true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 01:56 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,734,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Metro Detroit freeway traffic typically flows at 75-90 mph.
Not nearly as much as it did when I lived there. Based on my last visit, there are Michigan State Police everywhere.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:58 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You can be arrested for any offense, at officer discretion, although most departments have the policy to issue citations except for a handful of offenses. All are processed in criminal court where, even for citations, a bench warrant can be issued for your arrest if you don't show up or pay the fine. If you don't show for a civil court date, at worst you lose the case.

Nobody was comparing speeding with rape. There is a wide range of criminal offenses and the fact that some offenses are minor and some are major doesn't change the fact that they fall under criminal code. You clearly labeled theft as criminal, yet by your own logic how can that be when it is inaccurate to lump petty thieves in with "true" criminals who rape and murder people?

My point was that your pompous declaration that traffic offenses are CIVIL is just not true.
The majority of traffic code INFRACTIONS, certainly the ones relevant to this topic (non-reckless speeding, disobeying traffic device, etc.) are classified below misdemeanors in terms of severity. Your petty thief has at least a MISDEMEANOR just like all the other criminal offenders in that class.

Infractions - FindLaw

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...ion-33814.html

http://definitions.uslegal.com/c/civil-infraction/

Just for you, i'll fix the original statement that got you so upset: Let's not confuse misdemeanor/felony level CRIMINAL OFFENSES with CIVIL INFRACTIONS.

Last edited by Lux Hauler; 05-11-2016 at 03:06 PM..

Old 05-11-2016, 05:41 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireGuy View Post
Of course it takes longer to stop if you are going faster, of course the consequences are worse if you hit something at a higher speed, no-one disputes that.

Stopping on a freeway is illegal, as most states have minimum speed limits. If I am driving 90 and hit someone who is driving 80, the consequences will be less than driving 55 and hitting someone completely stopped in front of you - as is common on 2 lane roads.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Not nearly as much as it did when I lived there. Based on my last visit, there are Michigan State Police everywhere.

No there ain't.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
New Rome, OH was such a notorious speed trap that the attorney general had it dissolved. It was a village of 60 people which was a blink and you'll miss it town along US40...which had 14 policemen and a reduced speed limit that violated state guidelines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Rome,_Ohio

Don't forget Lindale, Ohio. That town is still pulling that same nonsense. And everbody knows about Waldo and Lawtey, Florida.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
No there ain't.
Not sure where you drive but I recently drove 75 from Toledo to Flint. They were everywhere and people kept it to 70 mph.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Don't forget Lindale, Ohio. That town is still pulling that same nonsense. And everbody knows about Waldo and Lawtey, Florida.
Well, don't speed on I-71 and you won't contribute to their coffers.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Not sure where you drive but I recently drove 75 from Toledo to Flint. They were everywhere and people kept it to 70 mph.

I-696, I-96, I-275, M-14, I-94,...like I said, metro Detroit

Old 05-11-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Well, don't speed on I-71 and you won't contribute to their coffers.

Or they could raise the speed limit to where it should be. Note the Ohio Turnpike speed limit is only 70. It used to be 75 before the 55 nonsense started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive