Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 12:48 AM

242 posts, read 489,464 times

Advertisements

Went to a dealer that had a good deal on a used 2014 car. After a test drive, he came back with the paperwork with the cost of the car plus $995 for Lojack. I immediately told him I was not interested and he said it was already was installed, but he can work on the price.

He also presented the cost as monthly payments which I hate. Did not feel like haggling at the time, so I told him I might call him back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 12:54 AM

44,540 posts, read 61,201,075 times
Run don't walk, a scam just like special rustproofing, special pin striping etal. Anything to up the profit level and commission for the sales person.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:40 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,571,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe View Post
Went to a dealer that had a good deal on a used 2014 car. After a test drive, he came back with the paperwork with the cost of the car plus $995 for Lojack. I immediately told him I was not interested and he said it was already was installed, but he can work on the price.

He also presented the cost as monthly payments which I hate. Did not feel like haggling at the time, so I told him I might call him back.
Call him back? I wouldn't even bother doing that. He's a thief - not worth the courtesy of a callback. Did he use that shameless "4 square" trick to work out the monthly payments?

Old 05-09-2016, 02:58 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,617,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe View Post

i agree with the other, stay far away from this dealer, they are ripping you off, or trying to.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:05 AM

2,691 posts, read 3,309,428 times
If you're not interested in the LoJack, then have them remove it, of course without any cost to you, and if they can't, you're done. I know some high end dealers may install LoJack in every car once they hit the ground

Old 05-09-2016, 09:23 AM

242 posts, read 489,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Did he use that shameless "4 square" trick to work out the monthly payments?
Bingo. Did not see this "4 square" trick last time I purchased a car. My intention is to pay cash, but considered financing if the APR is low (as a credit building tool). I have read in the past that since dealers make money via financing, they prefer not to have cash deals and might not negotiate as much on total price and one should only mention cash after the price has been established.

The dealer is reputable. They are one of the biggest dealers in the country (world) and have independent dealerships for all the major brands (Xyz Ford, Xyz Honda, etc...) in the area. Great Yelp reviews, which is shocking for an auto dealer. I went to another one of their dealerships (different brand), the day before, and while they still went for the "4 square" trick, they did not force Lojack onto the car.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:47 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,121,230 times
Tell them they have 3 options. 1. Remove lojack from the car at no cost to you. 2. Keep lojack but you arnt paying for it, or 3. Your walking away.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:18 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,735,369 times
So the dealer installed LoJack already. Big deal. It doesn't mean they are trying to scam you. It means....get ready for it....they already installed LoJack on the car. Why? Probably because a lot of people will take it if its already installed, and (you'll be shocked to learn) dealers are in business to make money.

They aren't trying to scam you because they already installed LoJack. If they refuse to remove it, then walk away.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:21 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,623,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
They aren't trying to scam you because they already installed LoJack. If they refuse to remove it, then walk away.
Yes, they are. It's the same as etching the VIN into windows or something. Almost no one would buy them if the dealer didn't do it for you already and then make you pay. It's pointless and worthless.

Last edited by caverunner17; 05-09-2016 at 10:30 AM..

Old 05-09-2016, 10:55 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,617,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
So the dealer installed LoJack already. Big deal. It doesn't mean they are trying to scam you. It means....get ready for it....they already installed LoJack on the car. Why? Probably because a lot of people will take it if its already installed, and (you'll be shocked to learn) dealers are in business to make money.

good except that you can BUY a lojack system, AND get free installation for $695;

LoJack - Recovery System for Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Equipment, Cargo & Laptops - LoJack

which means the dealer is marking up the system by $300
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive