Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2016, 08:43 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,635,879 times

Advertisements

Long story short - I'm a runner, biker and like to go hiking.

Most times, this means driving home hot, sweaty and muddy. I'd like to protect my seats with something easy to throw on them after being out and about.

I've tried towels -- they soak through pretty easily
Tarps are okay for short trips, but are really uncomfortable. Plus I've found them getting small micro holes allowing sweat that has pooled to drip through.

I've looked at various solutions online but can't really find something that's easy to put on and take off and will be water proof as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 08:44 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,246,047 times
Seat Covers. Google them...there are some pretty good ones out there but they can be pricey.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:30 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
First, bring unscented baby wipes and do a quick wipe-down of exposed skin.

Next, change into dry, cleaner clothes.

AND cover the seats and seatbacks. If you have done the above steps, a large towel will suffice. Or spend a few hundred dollars for Wet Okole neoprene seat covers. Be warned that these have waterproof fabric but the seams are not sealed. Moisture does go right through the seamed areas. I found out the hard way after driving home in paddling clothes.

Also, the seat covers are wipeable with a damp cloth or sponge but they will get sweat stink if you do not do steps 1 and 2 above. I do all three. Sweat-imbued neoprene gets a sour smell, Nasty. Once in a while remove the covers, soak in a tub of wetsuit detergent, rinse well, and let dry. This should only be necessary once in a while...if you follow the above precautions as routine.

Whatever you do, don't sit on them with sweaty nylon or similar clothes. A friend did that one time, actually pressed her sweatsoaked back into the seat, and it took me three separate wash regimes to get the sour stink out. Her one time stank more than my previous three years of use after hiking, biking, and paddling.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:34 PM

19,016 posts, read 27,579,284 times
1. WhatOdor will take care of any odors. Guaranteed. I do not recommend what I do not use and trust myself.
2. I am tempted to say that many modern cars have washable interiors. Made to all kinds of "boarders". Something tells me Honda element is there and likely some Jeeps.
3. Tarp behind you only increases sweating as you do not allow perspiration to evaporate. It cools skin when evaporates. So it reduces perspiration.
4. There is safe thing called CertiDry. Aka Certain Dry. We use it for amputees, no complaints so far.
Certain Dri
5. It is my opinion that ANY non breathable material on the seat will only extend sweating. Strange it may sound but try them roller seat covers, used to be so popular back in time. As you then have channels for air circulation.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:36 PM

Oh, not to forget.
Tame yourself. Do NOT chug on liter of water right before you drop into the car. You know what happens? It sweats straight out.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:24 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,588,609 times
I bought car seat protectors meant for under a child's seat from amazon. I was very happy with the first one which I bought to keep my light colored seat clean. I work with horses and often get very dirty and muddy. I also drink coffee while I am driving. So far the protector has done an excellent job. I was s pleased I got a second one for the passenger seat. They are very quick and easy to put in and remove and they look nice.

http://www.amazon.com/StayNpro-Premi...seat+protector

Old 05-09-2016, 09:59 PM

His concern is not mud or coffee spills. It's sweat. Sweat will leave rather acrid smell on any material after few applications. It's bio material after all.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:53 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,451,465 times
I just Googled some terms and got the following, which is a "Waterproof Underpad Bed Protector":

You could cut this to fit, if necessary.

There's lots more like it, especially at hospital supply houses/websites. The one pictured above is sold at Walmart for $11.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:41 AM

792 posts, read 2,873,387 times
I use a cotton t-shirt sometimes. No complaints from friends or fanny. Don't be shy about using the AC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive