Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 04:40 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times

Advertisements

I was blocked out from getting home one time, but not so I couldn't get in my car. May as well share anyway.

I'm not going to win any fans telling people this, but......back about 20 years or so ago, I lived in a trailer on a horse boarding stable. The driveway in was long enough to accommodate a truck and horse trailer before you got to the gate (stable was fenced all around). That gate was shut and locked every night about 10pm and because we were directly across from a reservoir, we had "No Parking At Any Time" on BIG signs on the gate itself.

I used to work a swing shift and would get home about midnight. Stop, unlock gate, drive in, stop, get out, lock gate, drive to trailer on the other side of the property.

So one night I came home and of course, someone has parked their car right smack in the middle of the driveway right up against the gate. They're not there, of course, and this car is locked up tight. I really, really didn't feel like climbing the gate and walking all the way to my trailer plus I had groceries to carry, so I hollered, yelled, honked my horn, even went across the street to the reservoir to see if anyone was there. Nada.

After a half hour of this crap (I would have called the cops if I'd had a cell phone then), I finally unlocked the gate and squueeeeezed my beat up old truck between the car and the gate post. Then I locked the gate again. On my old truck, you could hardly tell anything happened, but I know I really ripped up the side of that car. Never heard anything about it.

I should also add that I was pretty well at the end of my rope with this stuff. It wasn't the first time it happened, although I was always able to get by before because people didn't usually park so close. We had also many times gone down to lock the gate at 10pm, only to have someone wake us up at midnight asking if they could be let out. And it wasn't late boarders - it was just people who had decided to come in at night and drive around to see what they could steal. The last time I came in the gate and locked it, on the way back to my trailer I passed a car that tore out from the side of the road. I just kept going (they weren't going anywhere) and called the cops when I got to my trailer. The cops shook them down and then arrested them for stealing halters and bridles. People!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 05:43 PM

419 posts, read 625,551 times
make me so freaking angry even by reading it, key that pc of shiet 360 degree

Old 05-13-2016, 05:47 PM

419 posts, read 625,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
There are security cameras everywhere--sometimes even on-board vehicles looking at all 4 sides of a vehicle. As good as it might feel to do what you suggest, these days, I'd be afraid to get caught on surveillance video. The cops would still likely side with the idiot who parked you in.

I'd consider a potato in the exhaust if you had confidence in not being photographed doing it.
those low resolution cctv couldnt catch anything, with petty crime like scratching i doubt cops would do anything.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:54 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,813,486 times
You coul have taken pictures of her, her license plate, car, etc and shame her in your town. Or like in Brazil get a few people to pick it up and leave it with two wheels in front of the curb and two wheels behind.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:30 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,462,039 times
It's the automotive equivalent of the big bully on the playground. I'm bigger than you, so I can do whatever I want and everyone will move out of my way because they don't want to get ran over! I think that's the mentality behind some oversized-vehicle drivers. It's astounding that most of the people with massive vehicles only have one or two kids. Large Crossovers like the Mazda CX-9 or Acura MDX have as much interior room as a massive, full-size tank like a Chevy Tahoe or Ford Expedition. They're also also much nicer to drive, faster, slightly more fuel efficient and much better looking, IMHO.

Minivans are even more spacious because they use interior space so efficiently (and they are essentially shaped like a box with the edges rounded off). But I can understand the aversion to them because of the "soccer mom" stigma. Everyone, myself included, needs to get over it!

I'm not sure what I would have done in the OPs situation. The me of 15-20 years ago would have crawled in from the passenger seat and over the console into the driver's seat....but not before accidentally walking the length of the offending vehicle with my key inadvertently digging into the paint! Or I would have found the driver and loudly called her names that would make sailors and truckers cringe. But I'm not nearly as hot-heated and I've found that staying calm in these situations, even if you're seething inside, makes the offender every more angry and embarrassed!

When you identified the woman, you should have lied and said that you have a very important doctor's appointment and you'll be late if she doesn't move. Shame is a beautiful thing, especially when used as a weapon!

Old 05-13-2016, 08:43 PM

22 posts, read 54,162 times
Same thing happened to me. I acted like I was pouring a drink on the guy's vehicle and he came running out to stop me. Once he arrived I said "good, now that you're here, move it".

Old 05-13-2016, 08:52 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
So I stopped at Starbucks on my way to work like usual, come out and this huge suv is parked so far over the line I literally can't get into my car. I'm skinny with a small frame, I've been able to fit before when this once.

So I go into Starbucks and yell out who owns the suv, you're parked so close to me I can't get into my car. Crickets, say it again and woman in line pipes in that it's her car and she'll move it once she's done getting her drink. She hadn't even ordered yet. I told her that was ridiculous and she needed to move her car. She refused, flat out. It took over 10 mins for her to come move her suv.

Honestly, what a witch this woman was, I was so close to making a scene or threatening to call the cops. Idk how someone can be so self-centered.

Anyone ever deal with this before?
Why did you not get in the passenger side and slide over ?

=>Flatten her rear tire on the passenger side. No permanent damage and that is good for at least a 30 minute delay.

I used to live in the Middle East and this happened regularly. The police had a line you could call and they would call the owner's mobile and tell them to move the car. If they did not respond the car was towed. Seemed to work but did not entirely stop the practice (always a big SUV).

Old 05-13-2016, 09:14 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
So I stopped at Starbucks on my way to work like usual, come out and this huge suv is parked so far over the line I literally can't get into my car. I'm skinny with a small frame, I've been able to fit before when this once.

So I go into Starbucks and yell out who owns the suv, you're parked so close to me I can't get into my car. Crickets, say it again and woman in line pipes in that it's her car and she'll move it once she's done getting her drink. She hadn't even ordered yet. I told her that was ridiculous and she needed to move her car. She refused, flat out. It took over 10 mins for her to come move her suv.

Honestly, what a witch this woman was, I was so close to making a scene or threatening to call the cops. Idk how someone can be so self-centered.

Anyone ever deal with this before?
No surprise it was a female driver. Too many of them seem to be awful at parking. Maybe next time if you're looking and find the driver, tell them that their car is being hooked up and being towed away and most likely they will stop whatever they're doing and come out and look and then you get them to move?

Old 05-13-2016, 11:16 PM

21,832 posts, read 25,102,289 times
I've had to climb over a few times.

The two most amusing times was having someone park their BMW convertible in my spot when I was on a bike. Starbucks as well. Hilarious thing was it was some kid with his girlfriend I'd walked past as they were coming in. Of course, I didn't know it at the time but you know they did. So I'm sitting on his hood playing on my phone when they come out again five minutes later and he starts getting an attitude. I'm finding the whole thing hilarious up until he does the how would you like it I sat on your bike and starts. Ehem, you sure you want to try that, buddy as I reach over and pick up my helmet. No damage done except to his ego.

The other time I'm getting into my car on the phone when this 20-something if that airhead parks about 4 inches from my car on the passenger's side. I give her the "Are you serious?" look. Get in the car, put the windows down, still talking on my phone. Airhead is still there and now she's turning off the engine. About ten seconds later airhead pipes up, "Excuse me, were you planning on leaving or just sitting there." Look over... uh, not particularly sweetie, I'm on the phone. Absolute no way she can get out in daddy's SUV parked that close and she's sitting there waiting for me to leave instead of just backing up and parking properly.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:52 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,874,414 times
I was just about to start a thread on this subject. I live in an area where a lot of people, many of them retired men and women that live outside of town in a rural area, drive full sized pickup trucks. They park these beasts as close to the grocery store entrance as possible and many times take up about 1 1/2 spaces. Completely clueless.

If you don't know how to drive and park a full sized pickup then don't buy one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive