Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 12:21 PM

759 posts, read 635,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
All that's missing is a Camaro and you'd have the Big 3 of muscle cars. I have a 2015 Camaro RS and put a lot into it to keep it nice. Always park it in the back of the lot and 95% of the time I haven't had a problem with idiots getting too close.

Some people just don't care, though. Whether is out of disrespect, jealousy, or ignorance, the idiots are out there. It's unavoidable one will get you when you least expect it. I've been lucky so far but inevitably it will happen, no matter how hard I try. You can only do your best to avoid this stuff or not take the car to the kinds of places where that might happen.

Yep... mine is garage kept at night... and I don't commute in it. When I do go places I park in the big spaces and out of the way.

That's all you can do... my PDR guy charges $75 a panel to remove dings. I hope I don't have to call him.

When I go to the waterpark or anywhere else with tons of kids... I take the beater. That vehicle I spoke of upthread that got dinged at Six Flags was a 1994 Camaro... and I learned from that mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
If you bought a car to draw attention, don't be surprised when it does.
I didn't buy it to draw attention... but it does. I've gotten hundreds of compliments. I'd had random strangers give me the thumbs up on I-5. I've had random strangers roll their windows down at red lights to tell me what a nice car I have. Dodge had my car on their FB page a couple months ago and I saw quite a few "OMG when I get a Challenger it's gonna look just like this" comments from people who shared the post.

It's much appreciated and makes the payment a lot easier... LOL... and I like the fact that the customization that I did to go from a TorRed Challenger to a TorRed with Matte Black Challenger obviously turned out just right... otherwise I wouldn't get the compliments that I do.

Honestly though, I'd give back all the compliments if people would just respect my car if they park next to it.

Last edited by ChloeC; 05-16-2016 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: ... added quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 12:21 PM

6,740 posts, read 3,358,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
Are you planning on modifying your Challenger? I voided the warranty the week I drove mine off the lot lol.
There is some debate on what will or won't void a warranty. With GM it seems to be more on a dealer-by-dealer basis. There is no uniform policy.

I talked to my Chevy service manager and they installed a Roto-Fab cold air induction system and a Dyno-Max Ultra Flo exhaust with Stainless Works Corvette tips. He said the CAI is fine (same one they use on the Z28) as long it's has a dry non-oiled filter that won't foul the MAF.

I also have a catch can and a ported throttle body, which is a GM part that has just been CNC milled. According to this guy, none of that would void a warranty. I take him at his word, but would rather not test it if I don't have to.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:40 PM

15,418 posts, read 25,784,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Since the problem in the OP appears to be that others ARE parking there, your question doesn't make sense.
You suggested keying someone's car and you think my question makes no sense? The OP seemed to be talking about parking away from others, so it does make sense.

It is kind of refreshing to see you drop the law and order attitude and become an outlaw by suggesting someone should key someone else's car. Or is the speed limit law the only one you care about?

Old 05-16-2016, 12:44 PM

1,333 posts, read 882,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Park diagonally across two spots or on the painted line taking two spots.
Don't do that...

Old 05-16-2016, 01:10 PM

50,226 posts, read 46,975,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Why? Why would they care if someone is parked like that out in the area no one else parks?
I drive a long bed extra cab lifted truck. I HAVE to do that or cars have to go single file to get around me. Which is why I park out in the boonies by default. Or better yet on the street but sometimes its the small spaces or nothing.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:14 PM

34,959 posts, read 16,938,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Doesn't happen to me. I park far away because then I never have trouble finding my car.
I park far away when it looks like finding a close space will be tough. Unless it's really pouring rain I find there is more time spent looking for a close space than saved in the walk.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:12 PM

6,583 posts, read 11,270,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeC View Post
Grouping? It's possible I guess.

I went to the mall recently and did my usual... I parked way out on an end spot... and when I came out I saw this...

I thought it was pretty cool that despite having a parking lot full of empty spots that this 2015 Mustang owner would park right next to my 2015 Challenger.

I didn't even check my car for dings because there is no chance he dings me... he will definitely have the courtesy to be careful opening his doors.

It's the guys driving the beat up POS cars that you have to worry about...
I'd be happy that he/she parked next to you. I rather have another car enthusiast next to me. I'd be more concerned with the Crown vic next to the Mustang. I've seen elderly folks open their door into the car next to them, then stick their leg out to make sure they prop the door open as wide as it goes (as it bangs against the car next to them) to make sure they have enough room to get their inflexible body out.

But that's not too bad. Looks like there are lots of cars around so it's not like you're the only car in some overflow section and someone decided to just park next to you. I've had that happen. Albeit it was the same make and model, so I think they were just trying to show the love.

Like you, I always seek out an edge spot. Lowers the chances since only one side is "at risk". I have a 2009 STi that has zero dents as I've always parked on an edge. Even when I got to a fairly empty parking garage, I'm usually the only car in the basement, or the sole car on the roof. My colleague/friends think I'm nuts. Although the benefit is that I'm rarely asked to drive to lunch.

I recently picked up a 2016 GT350. And that doesn't even go to places unless I know what the parking situation is like. You know the local places that have large spaces (or the one or two space you always park at). Of course, most of the time that car is driven, not parked.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:50 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,076,516 times
To me, it's just a car. Even when I had my Z06, I parked it where the closest spot was. If it got nicked, it got nicked. I bought my car to drive it and enjoy it.

ChloeC,

I see you're from Renton. The picture with the McDonald's in the background kind of looked familiar. Is that the one across from Greenwood Memorial where Hendrix is buried? I drove there last spring from El Paso.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:10 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,945,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
To me, it's just a car. Even when I had my Z06, I parked it where the closest spot was. If it got nicked, it got nicked. I bought my car to drive it and enjoy it.
I agree. People who are so concerned about their cars getting damaged that they won't park them in a normal fashion shouldn't be driving them on the street at all. After all, driving is a rather dangerous activity. It's statistically likely a person will be involved in at least one car accident in their driving career (whether it's your fault or not), and a wrecked car needs a lot more repairs on it than just a little door ding.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:30 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,637,927 times
I park far away where there isn't a space available closer. I'm not one of those people who circle around the lot for five minutes looking for a closer spot.

I do find it funny when someone parks far away only for someone to park next to them. It's like someone using the murinal next to you when there are others available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive