Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 04:56 PM

19,127 posts, read 25,331,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
You sold the other person the car. You said it was checked by the mechanic, and every thing was fine? Whose mechanic yours or theirs? You say it was fine. Now it won't start and "has some issues". What are the issues, did the alternator go and now the battery is dead and it won't start. Or did they get a bad load of gas and now the injectors all have to be replaced.
I don't know why you would consider taking the car back. What repairs are necessary and what's the cost?
In any event they agreed to buy the car from you, as far as you know it was ok at the time you sold it. If you were to take it back at the very least they used it for a week you should deduct that and the cost of motor vehicle fees from any refund. Although how do you know what they did to to car, as I said a bad load of gas or maybe they ran it low on oil? I had a stepson bought a perfectly good Chevy nova (when they were corollas in disguise) NEVER checked the oil on it. (I couldn't tell him ANYTHING) and seized the engine about a month or so after he bought it. He'd purchased it from a friend of his mother and mine, we didn't even think of blaming our friend. Or asking for a refund.
+1
Unless the OP knowingly sold a damaged piece of goods (and concealed that information) and is now having conscience pangs about that subterfuge, I see nothing in the recitation of events that would warrant buying the car back from the purchaser.

Yes, it might be a nice thing--from a moral perspective--to buy it back, but if the car was properly maintained and if it wasn't misrepresented to the buyer, then the sale should be considered final in every respect.

So...OP...was the car properly maintained in every respect?
Were there any...issues...that you concealed from the purchaser?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 05:05 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvedia View Post
I sold a car to someone one week ago for $3000 , they did test drive and also had it check with the mechanic etc and all was fine
Buyer paid me the money, Title is transferred and also they got new registration
Since yesterday, the car wont start and got some issues
I know, legally I am not obliged to take the car back but I wanted to ask if I take the car back and return them the $3000, what happens to money spent in DMV by other party(in title and registrations)
Also, do I need to go to DMV again and spend money to get a new title in my name since now the title is in buyers name ?
Is there any specific period within which DMV would re-adjust everything to how it was a week ago (i,.e., registration, title in my name) without me spending any money?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Car is sold as is. Tell them to go pound sand.
^^^^^ This!! when will people understand that when buying privately..there's NO Guarantee's?? Why aren't they going after the mechanic who assessed it..and said all is well?? The buyer paid this mechanic for their "Expert Opinion"!

Sour graps, "BUYER BEWARE" !! Too bad So sad!

Old 05-18-2016, 05:53 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
You sold the other person the car. You said it was checked by the mechanic, and every thing was fine? Whose mechanic yours or theirs? You say it was fine. Now it won't start and "has some issues". What are the issues, did the alternator go and now the battery is dead and it won't start. Or did they get a bad load of gas and now the injectors all have to be replaced.
I don't know why you would consider taking the car back. What repairs are necessary and what's the cost?
In any event they agreed to buy the car from you, as far as you know it was ok at the time you sold it. If you were to take it back at the very least they used it for a week you should deduct that and the cost of motor vehicle fees from any refund. Although how do you know what they did to to car, as I said a bad load of gas or maybe they ran it low on oil? I had a stepson bought a perfectly good Chevy nova (when they were corollas in disguise) NEVER checked the oil on it. (I couldn't tell him ANYTHING) and seized the engine about a month or so after he bought it. He'd purchased it from a friend of his mother and mine, we didn't even think of blaming our friend. Or asking for a refund.
I'm not seeing where the OP said anything about the car having issues now. Matter of fact he's pretty vague as to why the buyer wants to "unwind" the deal, or sell the car back to the OP.

I would sell my Scirocco as a reliable driver to a friend, (if I had my eye on a better unit!) but, for example, a few months back a 5-year old battery in it died suddenly. Nothing wrong with the charging system or battery, and I even keep it on a Battery Tender in a garage most every night. So, if I had sold the car just before the battery went, hey, it's a used car sold as-is, if the battery suddenly dies, don't bother me with it, go buy a new battery and be done with it.

If someone wants a new car or CPO with a warranty, OK, fine, go buy that. But it will be a lot more money than an older used car.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:56 PM

730 posts, read 1,658,115 times
OP I admire your integrity.

Why not have the new buyer get an estimate on the repair and if you are still inclined, contribute to the repair?

But, I would not "buy" the car back from the buyer.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:32 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
I sold a car to someone one week ago for $3000 , they did test drive and also had it check with the mechanic etc and all was fine
Buyer paid me the money, Title is transferred and also they got new registration
I know, legally I am not obliged to take the car back but I wanted to ask if I take the car back and return them the $3000, what happens to money spent in DMV by other party(in title and registrations)
Also, do I need to go to DMV again and spend money to get a new title in my name since now the title is in buyers name ?
Is there any specific period within which DMV would re-adjust everything to how it was a week ago (i,.e., registration, title in my name) without me spending any money?
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I'm not seeing where the OP said anything about the car having issues now. Matter of fact he's pretty vague as to why the buyer wants to "unwind" the deal, or sell the car back to the OP.

I would sell my Scirocco as a reliable driver to a friend, (if I had my eye on a better unit!) but, for example, a few months back a 5-year old battery in it died suddenly. Nothing wrong with the charging system or battery, and I even keep it on a Battery Tender in a garage most every night. So, if I had sold the car just before the battery went, hey, it's a used car sold as-is, if the battery suddenly dies, don't bother me with it, go buy a new battery and be done with it.

If someone wants a new car or CPO with a warranty, OK, fine, go buy that. But it will be a lot more money than an older used car.
missed the bolded part did you?

Old 05-19-2016, 06:07 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times
Quote:
Do you happen to live in Southwestern NJ? - this is the wishy-washy types here anyway that would attempt such a thing of returning a private sale used car purchase.

Just stressing: NO, YOU ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO TAKE THE CAR BACK AS IT'S A "AS IS" SALE!

If the buyer wanted a warranty he/she should have purchased a car at a reputable dealer.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:37 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
To those commending the OP's honor they could be the victim of a scam here. The mechanic said the car was in working order and then the car is handed over to the buyer and put through who knows what. Now it suddenly doesnt work and they want to return it....hmm....

Old 05-19-2016, 06:55 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
I have been on the other end of a deal like this (in my case, the mechanic lied, he was not even a mechanic). However it is the OP choice to made good or not. That was not his or her question.

I think you may be able to get the buyrer to sign the title over with a blank recipient. Then you can re-sell the car and they can fill in their name. Thus, the car would transfer from the current buyer to the new buyer. Essentially you would be re-slling the car for him and eating any difference in price. Or, you can scrap it and just give him the difference. I kind of depends on what you intend to do with the car.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:24 AM

24,492 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Why go through the hassle of taking it back when you are not obligated to? They did have a mechanic check it out.

If you feel bad about it why not offer them a few hundred in a refund to go towards fixing what ever is wrong.

I haven't sold a car or boat in years but in my state there is a obligation to the seller that the car will pass the state inspection sticker requirements.

I once had a problem with a boat I sold. It was a old boat but still decent enough. I sold it and when the guy left he peeled out and bounced the trailer over the curb. A few weeks later I get a call that there is a problem with the engine and he wants his money back. I had no idea what he did to it since he peeled out of my driveway so I said no and that was that. He wasn't happy but oh well. We were not talking a lot of money.

A $3000 car is not a lot so the buyers should expect some problems down the line. They could fix this one thing and then get thousands of trouble free miles.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:39 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
If I sold a car, it would go with a receipt that clearly said "as is".

However, OP, if you want to buy the car back, I suggest that you deduct the transaction fees for both transactions from the refund.

Or maybe just take your electrical meter over and test the battery and alternator for your buyer. Maybe it is something easy like the battery is old or the cables need to be cleaned off, or the battery needs water. I wouldn't, but, hey, it is your transaction and your call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive