Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 02:46 AM

76 posts, read 253,959 times

Advertisements

I sold a car to someone one week ago for $3000 , they did test drive and also had it check with the mechanic etc and all was fine
Buyer paid me the money, Title is transferred and also they got new registration
Since yesterday, the car wont start and got some issues
I know, legally I am not obliged to take the car back but I wanted to ask if I take the car back and return them the $3000, what happens to money spent in DMV by other party(in title and registrations)
Also, do I need to go to DMV again and spend money to get a new title in my name since now the title is in buyers name ?
Is there any specific period within which DMV would re-adjust everything to how it was a week ago (i,.e., registration, title in my name) without me spending any money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 03:47 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,162,407 times
Car is sold as is. Tell them to go pound sand.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:54 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,884,246 times
Unless you stated some sort of warranty or refund (not sure why someone would do that), used cars are sold as is.

You sell the car and you move on. If the new owner wants to sell it back to you, that's a different transaction.

What's the full story for you to even consider taking the car back and refunding the $3000?

Old 05-17-2016, 03:55 AM

11,550 posts, read 52,990,097 times
Legally, your buyer is the owner of the car. You cannot take it back and "unwind" the transaction at the DMV.

If you were to now purchase the car, that would be considered a new transaction by the DMV, subject to all the new fees.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:31 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,913,710 times
You would have to buy the car back, and incur the DMV fees again to transfer title back to yourself.

You should feel no obligation at all to buy the car back. The new owner needs to get fixed whatever has gone bad since they bought it.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:50 AM

7,140 posts, read 9,227,275 times
This is the reason I always trade in cars instead of selling them myself.

I don't want to have the dude turning up at my door saying "hey man, that car YOU sold me won't start. Give me my money back."

Old 05-17-2016, 06:32 AM

17,071 posts, read 21,731,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
This is the reason I always trade in cars instead of selling them myself.

I don't want to have the dude turning up at my door saying "hey man, that car YOU sold me won't start. Give me my money back."
I've sold more cars privately than traded and not one has come back.

Last one, guy texted me 3 days later and thanked me again for such a great truck.

15 years ago I sold an Alfa Romeo to a guy that seemed to give me every dollar he had (his wife thought the car was the wrong purchase and hassled him even while we were doing the deal). He totaled the car on the way home......spun out on the on ramp to the highway and bounced off a guard rail down into a ditch. He had no license plate so I would assume no insurance. He called to tell me the story, I was sure glad I had cash in hand vs. a check....

I sold a girlfriend's car (Toyota Celica) to a kid and saw it at a body shop a month later. The car looked like it was sagging badly in the middle. I did business with a vendor on that street often so after a few weeks of seeing the car, I asked an employee at the shop what happened to that car? Kid did a "Dukes of Hazzard" bridge jump with it and bent the frame/damaged the bottom of the engine.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:08 AM

221 posts, read 333,549 times
Tell the guy to get lost. I've had a party call 4 days after purchase getting hostile then alternating with a sob story that the transmission broke and wanting a discount. Their mechanic even inspected it pre-sale. Being the helpful guy...I tried to extract exactly what the transmission was doing out of them to see if it was something minor like a servo or bad like the clutches blew, but couldn't get a straight answer. After thinking about the scenario, I figured the tranny didn't actually break and they were just some slimeballs trying to get money off or something. Best to just tell them, you bought it, and it's yours.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:14 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,043,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvedia View Post
I sold a car to someone one week ago for $3000 , they did test drive and also had it check with the mechanic etc and all was fine
Buyer paid me the money, Title is transferred and also they got new registration
Since yesterday, the car wont start and got some issues
I know, legally I am not obliged to take the car back but I wanted to ask if I take the car back and return them the $3000, what happens to money spent in DMV by other party(in title and registrations)
Also, do I need to go to DMV again and spend money to get a new title in my name since now the title is in buyers name ?
Is there any specific period within which DMV would re-adjust everything to how it was a week ago (i,.e., registration, title in my name) without me spending any money?
Do not respond and block their number.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:22 AM

18,875 posts, read 27,319,253 times
OP, I am presuming you have good cause to be a gentleman and take car back. Say, you sold it to a friend (never do this!!) or a co worker (never do this!!) or a family member (never do this!!) and now feel compelled to right the wrong. I am suspiscious you were aware of some possible drawbacks in that vehicle.
Which is a noble thing of you to do.
What you do, you go to DMV and transfer car back in your name as a gift. There will be a nominal fee for this that you can discuss with the buyer. That will be between the two of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive