Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 06:30 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Once again a car already in the exit lane has the right-of-way over a car entering the exit lane. So it is not as simple as you are making it out to be. I’d still like to see a source that says otherwise. A specific URL from any state DMV website would be fine.

Both those sources proved their point and countered yours. Sorry. You're just wrong. Admit it and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 08:07 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,216 times
Quote:
Once again a car already in the exit lane has the right-of-way over a car entering the exit lane. So it is not as simple as you are making it out to be. I’d still like to see a source that says otherwise. A specific URL from any state DMV website would be fine.
In most of New England, there's going to be a yield sign posted for cars about to enter the weave lane from the on-ramp. How much more explicit does it need to be?

Here are some street view links so you can see what I mean.
I-295 and Route 302 in Portland, Maine
I-95 and I-395 in Bangor, Maine
Sutton Ave and I-395 in Oxford, Massachusetts
Depot Road and I-395 in Oxford, Massachusetts
I-95 and I-93 in Woburn, Massachusetts

Old 06-01-2016, 08:13 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,502,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
In most of New England, there's going to be a yield sign posted for cars about to enter the weave lane from the on-ramp. How much more explicit does it need to be?

It's unbelievable that so many people don't understand or don't give a crap about yield sign - like it doesn't exist. Pretty much the same thing can be seen on local roads as well. Left turners have green arrow and cars are making left turn. I am taking right and have a lane but with yield sign just like in this pictures above. I stop- the guy behind me start honking as according to them I have a full lane in front of me and should keep moving. Don't give a crap about left turners who have to take immediate right after turning.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:18 AM

10 posts, read 8,882 times
I have never heard the term and, when you described what it is, I can honestly say I have never seen one. Nor would I want to. If I had to deal with that on a daily basis, I would move.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:36 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:

OK, first, I have driven in about 15 western states, and have never seen a yield sign on a interstate ramp, like that. The fact that Maine feels it is necessary to put those yield signs on the ramps, shows that it is not a universally accepted fact, that all traffic must yield to traffic already on the freeway in all cases, or they wouldn’t be wasting the money for signs for something that would be obvious to all drivers.

Second, personally having no driving experience with yield signs on an entrance ramp like that, I wouldn’t really know what to make out of it, seeing it for the first time. I’m not sure what Maine wants me to do. So I would deal with it like I would any other yield sign. I would yield at the point of the sign, then I would assume I have the right away in that lane from that point on. I’m not sure if that is right, but I believe it is. Because I have never heard of a yield sign where you have to yield, and then continue yielding after the point of the sign.

Which brings me to my point, that which traffic must yield when entering the interstate, is a grey area. We don’t all agree on the rules.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Both those sources proved their point and countered yours. Sorry. You're just wrong. Admit it and move on.
No, it does not. If you take anything in those regulations to mean that just because you are exiting the freeway, you can swerve wildly across lane markings and ram cars in the exit lane, and not be at fault for the collision, then you don’t understand the right-of-way regulations, and I hate to think what your driving must be like.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:29 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
It does not. He gave you a link and bolded it. I don't know why you're not getting it. A driver entering, no matter whether he intends to change lanes or not, must yield. It is that simple.

http://www.driversedguru.com/drivers...ghway-merging/
Quote:
You Do Not Have the Right of Way When Entering the Highway

Many drivers are unaware that drivers currently on the highway have the right of way over cars entering it. It is not the job of cars already on the highway to make room for cars entering. Furthermore, if you happen to be in a weave lane (a lane used for both entering and exiting the highway), the cars exiting the highway have the right of way over cars entering the highway.
So, it’s your job to find a gap and move into it.

Last edited by dkf747; 06-01-2016 at 09:42 PM..

Old 06-01-2016, 09:40 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
If you've ever towed 30 feet of boat in the right lane, that yield sign on the on ramp is the most ignored road sign in New England. It's not surprising that most truck drivers refuse to use the right lane. They'd encounter a driver trying to commit "suicide by truck" at pretty much every exit.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:21 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,216 times
Quote:
OK, first, I have driven in about 15 western states, and have never seen a yield sign on a interstate ramp, like that. The fact that Maine feels it is necessary to put those yield signs on the ramps, shows that it is not a universally accepted fact, that all traffic must yield to traffic already on the freeway in all cases, or they wouldn’t be wasting the money for signs for something that would be obvious to all drivers.
If there's no yield sign posted, I would assume standard lane changing rules apply unless there is a law on the books somewhere about it.

Quote:
Second, personally having no driving experience with yield signs on an entrance ramp like that, I wouldn’t really know what to make out of it, seeing it for the first time. I’m not sure what Maine wants me to do. So I would deal with it like I would any other yield sign. I would yield at the point of the sign, then I would assume I have the right away in that lane from that point on. I’m not sure if that is right, but I believe it is. Because I have never heard of a yield sign where you have to yield, and then continue yielding after the point of the sign.
Sounds about right to me. You yield at the sign. You don't proceed past the sign until you can enter the highway safely. Even if you don't actually want to enter the highway, and want to get right back off by continuing down the weave lane, you still yield at the sign to anyone who wants to exit.

That said, there's only one of these things I have to use on a regular basis, and if it is busy, I just take another exit. I know the right-of-way rules, but I'm not willing to crash to prove a point about it.

Quote:
Which brings me to my point, that which traffic must yield when entering the interstate, is a grey area. We don’t all agree on the rules.
Some states do require drivers to work it out among themselves, but many have a statute that requires entering drivers to yield the right-of-way, even if they don't post a yield sign.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
It does not. He gave you a link and bolded it. I don't know why you're not getting it. A driver entering, no matter whether he intends to change lanes or not, must yield. It is that simple.
I don’t know why you are not getting it. The bolded part was irrelevant. You are not even listening to what I’m saying. It was the same mumbo jumbo about traffic entering the freeway must yield the right-of-way to the motorist leaving. I have acknowledged that. That's why I gave the example of me staying in the weave lane and not entering the freeway. In which case I am occupying the weave lane and you must yield to me, even if you are trying to exit. Just like you must yield to me if I am occupying any other marked lane.

You can’t pick and choose which traffic laws you want to apply and which you want to ignore. They are all relevant, including in this case basic lane right-of-ways. Like this from New York which is based on federal traffic regulations, so it’s the same or similar in every state.

Quote:
S 1128. Driving on roadways laned for traffic. Whenever any roadway
has been divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for traffic the
following rules in addition to all others consistent herewith shall
apply:
(a) A vehicle shall be driven as nearly as practicable entirely within
a single lane and shall not be moved from such lane until the driver has
first ascertained that such movement can be made with safety.

(b) Upon a roadway which is divided into three lanes and provides for
two-way movement of traffic a vehicle shall not be driven in the center
lane except when overtaking and passing another vehicle traveling in the
same direction when such center lane is clear of traffic within a safe
distance, or in preparation for making a left turn or where such center
lane is at the time allocated exclusively to traffic moving in the same
direction that the vehicle is proceeding and such allocation is
designated by official traffic-control devices.
(c) When official traffic-control devices direct slow-moving traffic,
trucks, buses or specified types of vehicles to use a designated lane or
designate those lanes to be used by traffic moving in a particular
direction regardless of the center of the roadway, drivers of vehicles
shall obey the directions of every such sign, signal or marking.
(d) When official markings are in place indicating those portions of
any roadway where crossing such markings would be especially hazardous,
no driver of a vehicle proceeding along such highway shall at any time
drive across such markings.
Article 25 - NY Vehicle and Traffic Law
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive