Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 12:44 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,446,414 times

Advertisements

My daughter is now driving a 2005 Subaru Outback. It's got 170k miles on it but still runs good. She has a 5 yr old kid and another due in February. She was mumbling about getting a new car. I know she'll ask me at some point and frankly I don't know jack about new cars. I've had the same truck now for 25 years.

She will need one that is reliable and useful to haul around kids, groceries and whatever else. It can't be too expensive 40k new I'm guessing, she really likes the Subaru now but it's a little small she thinks. Utility and reliability are what she will need.

What do you use to haul your clan in?

Any input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 12:53 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Small? An Outback? What's she hauling?

I'd say another Subaru, although she probably has at least another 100K on the current one if she maintained it.

Your other question. With two kids an Impala, Cavalier and, stupidly, a Reliant. A little while with the last two with three kids. Then Taurus wagons with third row seats with 3 and 4 kids.

Now that they're grown and gone and only ride with us occasionally, a F150 Super Crew and a Forester.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:58 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,826,679 times
Newer Subaru would be good, my daughter just got a certified-used 2016 Forester.

If she wants something bigger - Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot would be solid choices - nice trim levels available under $40K. I own a Pilot.

Hyundai Santa Fe is a very nice vehicle too, my brother has one to haul his two rugrats around.

There's always a minivan - Odyssey, Sienna, and even the Kia Sedona is well-reviewed. Don't know much about the Nissan Quest. Chrysler is a very new redesign, not sure how much confidence I have in it. I had a 2013 as a company vehicle and actually liked it but only had it for 50K miles before getting something else.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:04 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
Where does she live? Different geographical areas can have different requirements.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:21 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,996,269 times
Skip the CVT automatic transmissions.
No matter what you read here or elsewhere.

Old 01-01-2018, 02:02 PM

9,511 posts, read 4,344,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
My daughter is now driving a 2005 Subaru Outback. It's got 170k miles on it but still runs good. She has a 5 yr old kid and another due in February. She was mumbling about getting a new car. I know she'll ask me at some point and frankly I don't know jack about new cars. I've had the same truck now for 25 years.

She will need one that is reliable and useful to haul around kids, groceries and whatever else. It can't be too expensive 40k new I'm guessing, she really likes the Subaru now but it's a little small she thinks. Utility and reliability are what she will need.

AWD Toyota Sienna.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:02 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
The 3rd generation Outbacks like that one were rather cramped, especially in the back seat. Cabin space on the new Outbacks is significantly larger after a series of redesigns, and you can get a well-equipped one probably in the low 30s.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:36 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,057,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post

The hard truth here is this.......a "new" or "different" car is the last thing your daughter needs for about 4 more years. The car she has now , unless it's a junk heap, is exactly the car she need until the babies get older (about 4-5 yr old).

It will help her love her car a bit more if you can arrange to get it a really good bath/ vacuum to really clean it up to give her some pride in her ride.

Old 01-01-2018, 04:33 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,446,414 times
The Toyota Sienna looks nice and spacious and a good price.

Retired. The one she has now is developing some problems not to mention the time both grandkids found a magic marker and decorated the interior of it with their version of art. It's been well used and I doubt she'll get much of a trade in on it.

Considering how reliable it was i'm definitely going to suggest another if she asks.

Old 01-01-2018, 04:57 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,826,679 times
Another thing is that safety features have improved dramatically since 2005. I'd want my grandkids in the safest car possible, so that's another reason to consider a new vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive