Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2016, 07:37 PM

339 posts, read 665,001 times

Advertisements

I posted this as a comment in my other thread but figured it deserves its own thread.

I am very enticed by these lease offers:
MA Honda Dealer Near Boston | New Honda Car Specials | Boch Honda

The civic for $33/month and the CRV for $73/month.
If I split my commute between the two vehicles I wouldn't go over the mileage allowance.
Our new home is 45 miles away from my job so I'm doing a 90 mile/day commute a new car with good MPG is important. The civic would be great for that and the CRV would be great as a family car and doesn't have bad MPG for an SUV. Currently have a gas guzzling RAV4 that has terrible MPG. Kelly blue book says I could get $6700 for a trade in.

If I put the RAV4 as a trade in would it be possible to have it applied towards the two leases? Would I be better off selling outright for $9k (estimated KBB) and then putting cash as the down payment of the lease? I hate dealing with Craigslist strangers and live in MA where there is a lemon law so the liability issue worries me, even if sold as is. Mass is very "sue happy" and I wouldn't want that stress of selling private party especially considering I only have 1 vehicle right now. So I'd have to get a rental car.. Would be a hassle.

Is this lease a good offer? Can I trade one car in and get 2 new? Does that even exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 07:53 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,232,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins3445 View Post
I posted this as a comment in my other thread but figured it deserves its own thread.

If I split my commute between the two vehicles I wouldn't go over the mileage allowance.
Our new home is 45 miles away from my job so I'm doing a 90 mile/day commute a new car with good MPG is important. The civic would be great for that and the CRV would be great as a family car and doesn't have bad MPG for an SUV. Currently have a gas guzzling RAV4 that has terrible MPG. Kelly blue book says I could get $6700 for a trade in.

If I put the RAV4 as a trade in would it be possible to have it applied towards the two leases? Would I be better off selling outright for $9k (estimated KBB) and then putting cash as the down payment of the lease? I hate dealing with Craigslist strangers and live in MA where there is a lemon law so the liability issue worries me, even if sold as is. Mass is very "sue happy" and I wouldn't want that stress of selling private party especially considering I only have 1 vehicle right now. So I'd have to get a rental car.. Would be a hassle.

Is this lease a good offer? Can I trade one car in and get 2 new? Does that even exist?
Having two cars leased will be more expensive than buying one car and trading it in when you want to replace it. Remember you have to insure two cars, pay taxes on two cars. Also remember that you will almost always pay under MSRP if you just outright buy the car. When selling the car as long as you provide accurate information than you aren't liable if any problems arise with the car. You are selling the car as-is and the buyer should know this. Make sure you include an as-is language in the bill of sale.

With Massachusetts law as long as the Rav4 can pass a safety inspection within 7 days than you are cleared of all responsibility.

Personally if I was in your situation I would buy something like the Subaru Impreza Five Door. The five door configuration gives you most of the utility of a Rav4/CRV while still getting 36 mpg and having AWD. A mazda3 hatch, ford focus hatch, or a VW Golf would all provide you most of the utility of a small SUV with the same fuel economy as small sedans.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Having two cars leased will be more expensive than buying one car and trading it in when you want to replace it. Remember you have to insure two cars, pay taxes on two cars. Also remember that you will almost always pay under MSRP if you just outright buy the car. When selling the car as long as you provide accurate information than you aren't liable if any problems arise with the car. You are selling the car as-is and the buyer should know this. Make sure you include an as-is language in the bill of sale.

With Massachusetts law as long as the Rav4 can pass a safety inspection within 7 days than you are cleared of all responsibility.

Personally if I was in your situation I would buy something like the Subaru Impreza Five Door. The five door configuration gives you most of the utility of a Rav4/CRV while still getting 36 mpg and having AWD. A mazda3 hatch, ford focus hatch, or a VW Golf would all provide you most of the utility of a small SUV with the same fuel economy as small sedans.
Hadn't considered the insurance or tax costs. I was browsing through ther site for used cars and got sucked into click bait and saw the attractive monthly payment.

Are subarus expensive to maintain? I'm eyeing a Chrysler 200. We had borrowed a friend's for a day and were quite impressed. They have some only a couple years old close to the $10k price point which means I could essentially sell my RAV4 and buy the Chrysler for roughly the same amount. Chrysler has such a lousy reputation though it worries me.

Should I consult a lawyer when drafting a bill of sale? Can it be something I type up myself?

Old 05-20-2016, 08:20 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,242,173 times
The 200 is ranked as one of the worst vehicles and Chryslers in general have bad reliability.

Consumer Reports names its worst cars of 2015 | MLive.com

Old 05-20-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
The 200 is ranked as one of the worst vehicles and Chryslers in general have bad reliability.

Consumer Reports names its worst cars of 2015 | MLive.com
Well there goes that idea

Old 05-20-2016, 08:41 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,225,649 times
Quote:

Should I consult a lawyer when drafting a bill of sale? Can it be something I type up myself?
You can google 'bill of sale' pick one and print it out.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:02 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,232,387 times
Subarus are reliable cars and shouldn't be any more expensive to maintain than a equivalent Honda/Toyota. But yes I agree with the above poster, Fiat/Chrysler is the least reliable automaker. Personally I would never buy a Chrysler.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:18 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,076,995 times
+
Quote:

Quote:
Hadn't considered the insurance or tax costs. I was browsing through ther site for used cars and got sucked into click bait and saw the attractive monthly payment.

Are subarus expensive to maintain? I'm eyeing a Chrysler 200. We had borrowed a friend's for a day and were quite impressed. They have some only a couple years old close to the $10k price point which means I could essentially sell my RAV4 and buy the Chrysler for roughly the same amount. Chrysler has such a lousy reputation though it worries me.

that's $2900 + another $1000 (doc prep &bank acquisition fees) = $3900 for each down payment assuming you have excellent credit.

$3900 x 2 = $7800.

The dealer taking your vehicle in on trade for anywhere near KBB is if it doesn't need any work done to it. I'm thinking you're still going to be out of pocket for $1500 + maintenance +
Tax, title, license, + registration, and insurance on 2 new vehicles.

Not to mention, the first place you should ask this question is to the dealer, and whether or not they would even be able to lease you two vehicles...

This idea really doesn't sound good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive