Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 02:34 PM

902 posts, read 1,104,942 times

Advertisements

news flash

there has been a breakthrough in window tint film technology.... It's called Christalline

you can now get clear film that blocks the same amount of heat and UV rays as the dark stuff..... but it's twice the price

Crystalline Automotive Films - Clear automotive window film for cars, trucks - Crystalline - 3M US

completely clear or tinted versions..... blocks the same

clear is great for windshields
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 03:09 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Yeah I had something similar, their Air Blue put on my windshield. It was something like 80% which made it damn near undetectable unless maybe you were parked next to the same model car without it. Worked great at keeping the heat down. My black leather interior and the metal gear shift knob were no longer scorching after getting that.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:44 PM

341 posts, read 412,392 times
Default Tinted windows is a state law.* In some states you can get a doctors note and special license plates.* Most states you c

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
I've seen tinted car windows where you can't see the person driving the car, because the window tint is so dark. Does tinted car windows have it's advantages?
Tinted windows is a state law. In some states you can get a doctors note and special license plates. Most states you can't do anything to the front windshield Google and ask a local tint shop for the laws always change. I live in Illinois. On last car the law was you could not touch the front or front side windows. They had to be 0% tint. However the back windows could be as dark as you want. So I had limo tint on the back. The current law in Illinois is nothing on front windshield and 30% all around. That is what my current car has. Sometimes it is to dark but most of the time it helps block the car. Also my car is a hatch back so you can see in the trunk area. So it helps block the trunk area. Not sure about colors other then black/Grey

Old 05-23-2016, 06:35 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,589,690 times
I have about 10% on my 4 door chevy tahoe. My rear door glass, cargo area and back glass are all about 10% pretty much pitch black. I have nothing on my front side windows i wish i could do the same 10% it will make my truck look awesome but i hate dealing with cops so i won't. Even though i see so many cars and trucks in my area completely blacked out. I guess they love dealing with cops.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:40 PM

Is it factory or after market?

Old 05-23-2016, 07:19 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,094 times
i have ~30% on the front doors and 20% on the back and rear which I installed myself.

Used to be too dark at night but the tint has faded a bit in a year due to lower quality tint but it's definitely cooler in the summer and looks much nicer.

When someone broke into my other car that had tinted windows the broken glass didn't shatter and get all over the place because the tint held everything together.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:09 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,109,569 times
Bleh. I've had 15% tint on all our cars for years now. Never once been pulled over for it. And I'm black!

But then again, the cops probably can't see me to know that LOL

Last edited by skins_fan82; 05-24-2016 at 07:50 AM..

Old 05-24-2016, 08:20 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
My main concern about tinted windows is that it's not even safe during the DAY for OTHER cars on the road who drive near cars with tinted windows. For example, everybody has pulled up to a red light before with a car with tinted windows to your left, and your visibility was so restricted by the car's tint, that you couldn't even see well enough to confidently make a safe right-on-red turn. I HATE when that happens, and I know I'm not alone on that.

How's that any different from pulling up next to a panel van? Or an F550 dump truck? Or another large vehicle?

Sometimes there are challenges in life.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:32 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,223,811 times
I tint the windows darkly on all my cars here in Houston. Its very hot and sunny in the summer and helps a ton. I also have a clear heat blocking film on my windshield. Its legal in texas to have that though.I mostly do it for taking the heat load off the a/c but I also use it so I can have stuff in my back seat and people cant see in.Specially on my truck where there is no place to hide anything after shopping.

I have crystalline on one car and ceramic on the other I honestlty think the ceramic works better.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
news flash

there has been a breakthrough in window tint film technology.... It's called Christalline

you can now get clear film that blocks the same amount of heat and UV rays as the dark stuff..... but it's twice the price

Crystalline Automotive Films - Clear automotive window film for cars, trucks - Crystalline - 3M US

completely clear or tinted versions..... blocks the same

clear is great for windshields
You can get that on glasses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive