Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 10:59 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
The I

People know texting while driving is bad but it's the mindset where people think, "accidents are caused by other people, but when I text I know that I won't get into an accident because I think I'm a good driver". If someone looks down for a second then it won't be a big deal for them but a lot could happen within 1 second such as someone falling onto the road, car in front slams on the brakes, etc. I can guarantee you that once self driving cars are the norm then even more people will be on their phones. We can thank Tesla for that.
Doesn't Tesla have an autopilot mode that allows for just such a situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 11:12 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,544,248 times
On a daily basis, I am amazed at how many people text and drive. For me, the biggest tip off (after swerving in and out of the lane) is when they are driving much slower than anyone else. Traffic is already bad enough here. I think if all cell phones were disabled while driving, traffic flow would improve at least 5%.

This case is probably one of the worst I've heard about: Distracted Driver Dies After Posting On Facebook About The Song 'Happy,' Taking Selfies

"The Facebook text happened at 8:33 a.m. We got the call on the wreck at 8:34 a.m.," explains Lt. Chris Weisner, with the High Point Police Department.

Investigators say Sanford's Facebook post read: "The happy song makes me HAPPY!"

"In a matter of seconds, a life was over just so she could notify some friends that she was happy," says Weisner.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:14 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
6 ways the cops know you're texting - Yahoo Autos

No one should feel bad FOR ANYONE who gets a ticket for texting!
Not only do I not feel bad for someone on the phone, much less texting, I strongly believe the penalty should be roadside execution.

I WANT THEM DEAD.

As a pedestrian, i along with two other people, was sideswiped - but fortunately not seriously injured - by a jackass on the phone who was turning the corner. It was not his fault that he did not kill us, just luck.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:15 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
I saw an ad the pictured a ambulance and read "you don't want them responding to your text".

It is dangerous out there on the roads with the drunks the drugged both legal and not, cell phones, eating, drinking, putting on makeup, and now texting.
It is a wonder there are not multi car pileups everyday.

The trouble is the one who is texting usually ruins someone elses day along with their own when they crash.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:13 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,312,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Not only do I not feel bad for someone on the phone, much less texting, I strongly believe the penalty should be roadside execution.

I WANT THEM DEAD.

As a pedestrian, i along with two other people, was sideswiped - but fortunately not seriously injured - by a jackass on the phone who was turning the corner. It was not his fault that he did not kill us, just luck.
Jeez...How ruthless

Old 05-22-2016, 12:18 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
It is staggering how addicting texting and posting is, especially for young people. Remember the story of the young teen who survived a horrible accident because she was texting. She went on the circuit warning other high school kids of the dangers, then ended up dying in another accident because she was texting. That is beyond my understanding.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:36 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Some smart tactics. See this all the time with people staring at the phone behind the wheel. Foolish people, Not realizing that it only takes a SECOND for a disaster to happen that could have been prevented.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:37 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,544,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
It is staggering how addicting texting and posting is, especially for young people. Remember the story of the young teen who survived a horrible accident because she was texting. She went on the circuit warning other high school kids of the dangers, then ended up dying in another accident because she was texting. That is beyond my understanding.
Do you have a link to this story? tia

Old 05-22-2016, 02:31 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Do you have a link to this story? tia
I was looking before I posted but couldn't find it. In my search I had about 100,000 hits of teen dies while texting stories. We saw this story on the TV news.

Old 05-22-2016, 02:35 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
6 ways the cops know you're texting - Yahoo Autos

No one should feel bad FOR ANYONE who gets a ticket for texting!
I never have and will not, common sense should tell you it is not smart nor safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive