Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 06:05 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times

Advertisements

Generally you can tell the texters - they are driving slower than traffic, ignoring their place in the lane, weaving slightly and leaving a huge space in front of them for reaction time.

It is an unpopular opinion but I have seen people text and drive just fine but many more are no safer than drunk drivers on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 06:31 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

last week a teenage girl sped through my neighborhood with a phone in one hand I could see as she zoomed past, unable to hold her lane on a curve but no one was coming.

Just a matter of time before that party comes to an end.
Mommy and daddy will blame the road conditions and start a fix the road facebook page with an online petition.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:01 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Even at a red light one should pay attention to the road ahead and behind. You may need to move aside for emergency vehicles plus when the light changes you should be ready to go when safe to do so otherwise you're holding up traffic and could potentially cause an accident from your inattention.
That sounds nice. But how do you regulate and enforce paying attention?

Old 05-23-2016, 08:16 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
You are right distractions have always existed so why not add more distractions...

edit: Also most of things built into the car are at eye level a cell phone is usually down on the drivers lap making it a lot more dangerous.
...so you think we should limit the items people are allowed to bring into the cabin of their vehicle? Is that what you're saying? How about road maps? Are people allowed to look at maps? Or add something to their grocery list? Or look at the directions they wrote down?

How do you make someone keep their eyes where they should be?

No, I don't think we've added "more" distractions, we just have different ones. Distractions are infinite. Simply having a smart phone in the car isnt the problem--how someone chooses to use it while they are driving is the problem. Used responsibly a smart phone probably lessens distractions for many drivers--they're not messing with a big paper map, looking at handwritten directions, changing 8-tracks/tapes/CDs--all which would take longer at a red light than using a map app that talks, and telling your phone what music you want to listen to.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:33 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think 2nd offense should be a ticket AND a 30 day license suspension.
Sorry, first offense, huge ticket, maybe $1,000, and a license suspension that is a minimum of 30 days, but can be increased by the judge.

First offense only refers to "first time caught by cops", so it's not likely the first time at all.

First texting offense in Alaska was up to $10,000 in 2013 AND a year in jail.

http://techland.time.com/2013/10/29/...-year-in-jail/

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 05-23-2016 at 08:46 PM..

Old 05-23-2016, 10:35 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
My take on this,,,:
NONE of this nor much of anything to do related to CARS and/or DRIVING is NONE of ANY COPS BUSINESS

Old 05-24-2016, 05:55 AM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Something needs to be done about these selfish morons on their cell phones. It was bad enough that people drink and drive, now add another dimension to making the roads even more dangerous with idiots on their cell phones.

I wish our police departments would do more around here because I see almost every driver on the road talking on their cell phone and driving. It's epidemic waiting for a tragic outcome.

It's crazy here too. I was on my bike Saturday and came to a 4-way intersection. The lady to the right came barreling up to her stop sign so I paused because I didn't think she was stopping. She finally stopped past it. I continued through, and when I was halfway through, she gunned it, almost hitting me. She was on her phone.

Yesterday I saw a lady pull out of a space in the parking lot with a phone to her ear. I told her to go park the car and finish the phone call. I had no problem videoing her on the phone, her plate and location and sending it to the police.

I find the soccer moms are the biggest offenders, always in a rush to bring kids here and there. Cops could make a killing in this town just on phone tickets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
I rarely drive with two hands on the wheel. Usually My left hand is on the "5" position and my right is on my shifter.
So your left hand is on the bottom right side of the steering wheel? You sure don't have a lot of control of the car that way.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:32 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
My take on this,,,:
NONE of this nor much of anything to do related to CARS and/or DRIVING is NONE of ANY COPS BUSINESS
So when a texter hits you, you won't call the police then.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:57 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,183,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jms493 View Post
How will it tell if its a passenger or driver texting?
Easy; only pull over SOVs.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:02 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthbound? View Post
as a truck driver i see these idiots everyday and most of the time they're drifting into my lane. Soooo, like many truck drivers, i give them a long loud blast on my air-horn and scare the he** out of them. And get to see them toss their phones onto the other side of the car and they give me the hand sign that i'm number one. Lol

I guess one could say that (texting whiles driving) does have one good point. It thins the herd by taking out the stupid ones from time to time.
poast of the day!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive