Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 05:30 PM

9,500 posts, read 4,337,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
V6 Accord takes out the 5.0 Stang and pulls on the Camaro up until the very end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyHQoGMeB5Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97i67uUfUAE
LOL. How long did it take you to find videos of a V6 Accord beating a 5.0 Mustang and a Camaro SS? I can't imagine what the drivers of the Mustang/Camaro did wrong to get beaten by an Accord, but, cherry picked videos notwithstanding, the Accord isn't in the same league as a recent V8 Mustang/Camaro. It's a full second slower in the 1/4 mile and traps at least 10mph slower. Not even close. That is literally bus lengths.

The V6 Accord, especially equipped with a manual transmission, is a pretty decent car, but let's not confuse it with an actual performance car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 06:15 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,552,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
LOL. How long did it take you to find videos of a V6 Accord beating a 5.0 Mustang and a Camaro SS? I can't imagine what the drivers of the Mustang/Camaro did wrong to get beaten by an Accord, but, cherry picked videos notwithstanding, the Accord isn't in the same league as a recent V8 Mustang/Camaro. It's a full second slower in the 1/4 mile and traps at least 10mph slower. Not even close. That is literally bus lengths.

The V6 Accord, especially equipped with a manual transmission, is a pretty decent car, but let's not confuse it with an actual performance car.
It's not hard to find 5.0's and SS's getting beat by non-muscle cars, V6's and turbo4's alike. The description says the accord is bolted and tuned, no idea what WHP a tuned V6 accord makes. Tires and skill make a huge difference on a 1/4 mile track. I've seen Cobra mustangs run abysmal times and lose to lower hp cars at the track.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:00 PM

9,500 posts, read 4,337,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
It's not hard to find 5.0's and SS's getting beat by non-muscle cars, V6's and turbo4's alike. The description says the accord is bolted and tuned, no idea what WHP a tuned V6 accord makes. Tires and skill make a huge difference on a 1/4 mile track. I've seen Cobra mustangs run abysmal times and lose to lower hp cars at the track.
I've been to the track many times. There's no question that a modded 4 or 6 cylinder can take down a V8 - one of my cars is a 2014 Taurus SHO - with only a tune and downpipes and I've beaten SRT 392 Chargers, 5.0 Mustangs, etc. The wonders of AWD means I just stomp on it and go, whereas launching a Charger or Mustang requires actual skill. I've had high HP FWD cars, and the kind of HP a V6 Accord would need to make in order to beat a Coyote 5.0 Mustang would require drag radials, at a minimum. Somehow, I don't think the OP was planning on heavily modifying an a Accord and throwing on a set of drag radials. Hence, videos of a heavily modified Accord beating a Mustang/Camaro aren't really in the context of this thread. Furthermore, I can go down to my local Ford dealer right now and buy a 5.0 Mustang for about the same price (or less) as a V6 Accord - and I'd be getting an engineered-from-the-ground-up performance car. You can throw $10K at the Accord to make it keep up in a straight line, but in the end it's a FWD family car. The Mustang (and Camaro) is simply a far, far better performance car at a comparable price.

I fully appreciate that driver skill makes a huge difference. About 15 years ago I had a 2001 Buick Regal GS. With a few bolt ons, I ran consistent 13.1s on street tires (not DRs). A friend with a 2003 Z06 could never run that quick, despite many attempts. The Z06 is capable of low 12s in the right hands, but you need to know what you're doing to run that kind of time.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:10 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,552,240 times
Quote:
I've been to the track many times. There's no question that a modded 4 or 6 cylinder can take down a V8 - one of my cars is a 2014 Taurus SHO - with only a tune and downpipes and I've beaten SRT 392 Chargers, 5.0 Mustangs, etc. The wonders of AWD means I just stomp on it and go, whereas launching a Charger or Mustang requires actual skill. I've had high HP FWD cars, and the kind of HP a V6 Accord would need to make in order to beat a Coyote 5.0 Mustang would require drag radials, at a minimum. Somehow, I don't think the OP was planning on heavily modifying an a Accord and throwing on a set of drag radials. Hence, videos of a heavily modified Accord beating a Mustang/Camaro aren't really in the context of this thread. Furthermore, I can go down to my local Ford dealer right now and buy a 5.0 Mustang for about the same price (or less) as a V6 Accord - and I'd be getting an engineered-from-the-ground-up performance car. You can throw $10K at the Accord to make it keep up in a straight line, but in the end it's a FWD family car. The Mustang (and Camaro) is simply a far, far better performance car at a comparable price.

I fully appreciate that driver skill makes a huge difference. About 15 years ago I had a 2001 Buick Regal GS. With a few bolt ons, I ran consistent 13.1s on street tires (not DRs). A friend with a 2003 Z06 could never run that quick, despite many attempts. The Z06 is capable of low 12s in the right hands, but you need to know what you're doing to run that kind of time.
Nice I've always wanted a SHO, or a Ford Flex Ecoboost.

I have a 2007 Mazdaspeed3 with a gtx3076r turbo running on E25 making roughly 370whp. I've taken both a 392 and 5.0 from rolls. Last time I was at the track I ran a sad 14.2 @ 105 on the stock turbo and E50 making about...300whp. Always longing for traction in a FWD car.

I think that video showed you can have fun in the little V6 accord, but I agree with you it makes more sense to go with an outright performance car if you're looking for performance. A 2014 5.0 would be a great cheap/fun project, and the new SS has me daydreaming about Chevy's like I never did before.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:40 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,765,087 times
Quote:

Not only that but I seriously doubt that Accord is stock. Which is cool, the Mustang and Camaro probably are not either - but it is disingenuous to talk about a modded car in this discussion. EDIT: The description says it has "bolt-ons and tune". I've seen enough sandbaggers online try to describe a supercharger kit as a bolt on or maybe nitrous... and I doubt headers and exhaust would give that Honda enough to hang with V8s like that.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:55 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,732,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
Do you have any data for your assertion that people choose to not drive stick? If not, then go troll some other thread instead.

I'm actually interested in knowing about this car, as I have never seen or heard about it where I live. I've seen plenty of great cars out there that, for some reason, do not get the attention that they deserve.
Yes, just look at what's available on new cars these days. The percentage of manual vs auto has skewed way over to the auto side. People just don't want to drive a manual anymore besides a select few.

Sure there are always going to be staunch supporters of manuals but that is a small and dying breed (albeit vocal at least here on C/D)

Car manufacturers build what people want. And people don't want to manually shift the car anymore. Just how it is now.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:09 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,425,125 times
I'm old and at this time will never buy another automatic.
The musclecars of old died when in 1970 compression ratio was cut way down because of goverment smog requirements but their truly back now. The new Camaro and the higher HP Mustangs are truly fast, faster than any of the old stuff. Technology advancements finally ended the dead years from about 75 till lately.
Now the goverment Democrats want to kill that again with super high gas mileage requirements.
A lot of people don't want a V8 or like a lighter smaller car but still want performance. The V6 Accord is good for that.

Last edited by V8 Vega; 05-31-2016 at 09:18 AM..

Old 05-31-2016, 09:11 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,765,087 times
It would be silly to suggest that everybody who has the ability to drive a stick BUYS or DEMANDS a stick in every car they own or want to buy. They may or may not have a fun car, but a lot of times they will choose an auto for its ease of use because of a variety of reasons...for instance being married to someone that can't drive one, not wanting the hassle in urban traffic, not wanting it in a vehicle that has very little sporting intentions and on and on.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:15 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,732,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
It would be silly to suggest that everybody who has the ability to drive a stick BUYS or DEMANDS a stick in every car they own or want to buy. They may or may not have a fun car, but a lot of times they will choose an auto for its ease of use because of a variety of reasons...for instance being married to someone that can't drive one, not wanting the hassle in urban traffic, not wanting it in a vehicle that has very little sporting intentions and on and on.
Yep, some people will buy a stick just for the sake of buying one. Yeah, that manual Geo Metro doesn't magically turn into a sports car where you magically "become one with the road" once you put in a manual gearbox in there.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:29 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,310,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I'm old and at this time will never buy another automatic.
The musclecars of old died when in 1970 compression ratio was cut way down because of goverment smog requirements but their truly back now. The new Camaro and the higher HP Mustangs are truly fast, faster than any of the old stuff. Technology advancements finally ended the dead years from about 75 till lately.
Now the goverment Democrats want to kill that again with super high gas mileage requirements.
A lot of people don't want a V8 or like a lighter smaller car but still want performance. The V6 Accord is good for that.
The Subaru BRZ and Toyota/Scion FRS as well as V6/V8 Mustang, V6/V8 Camaro and the Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Coupe would all be better choices IMO and may even cost less or the same then the V6 Accord even Brand New 420+HP Mustang GT and Camaro SS in their base and mid-level trims come within the same price range as a V6 Honda Accord Coupe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZTSsD69mok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI2snMjBqRE

Last edited by GTOlover; 05-31-2016 at 09:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive